• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Students for Concealed Carry on Campus

hunter45

imported post

Is the Students for Concealed Carry of Campus (SCCC) against OC? I joined the JMU chapter of the SCCC on Facebook and I was basically getting bashed for talking about OC'ing (I joined the group but I can only OC since I won't be 21 for three years). They were telling me how people who OC will be the first to get shot by a criminal and that it stresses out the public too much. I don't know about everyone else, but I care more about my personal safety than about the "stress level" of some gun-hating stranger. It just seems odd to me that a group about CC would be so anti OC. We're all on the same team.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

SCCC is not anti-OC.  They have no stance whatsoever on open carry.  They have a sole limited objective of making concealed carry lawful on universities for permit holders, in states that issue concealed carry permits. Some of their talking points however do mention how "concealed guns on campus wouldn't be a distraction because they are concealed" in response to some arguments like "Wouldn't it be a distraction?"

If your local SCCC leader is anti-OC that is his personal POV and he shouldn't be representing that the organization is anti-OC.

http://www.concealedcampus.org/about.htm

SCCC supports the legalization of CONCEALED carry by LICENSED individuals on COLLEGE campuses. SCCC has no official positions on open carry, unlicensed concealed carry, or concealed carry on the campuses of primary or secondary schools.

hunter45

imported post

IMO, taking no stance on an issue is just as bad as being against it. They told me I was 83% more likely to get shot with my own gun if I OC'ed rather than CC'ed, which I think is total BS.

joshuaeberly

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
IMO, taking no stance on an issue is just as bad as being against it. They told me I was 83% more likely to get shot with my own gun if I OC'ed rather than CC'ed, which I think is total BS.

could you please post a link to the thread where they told you "83% more likely", while I am sure there are individuals within the group like this, we must educate those individuals, so as to prevent their ignorance from smearing the entire group.

I am a Campus Leader for SCCC, in Michigan. our groups (OCDO and SCCC) have some similar goals here in MI. for example, the upholding of the states preemption law over public universities and colleges. here in MI OC is fully legal on college campuses with/without a permit, but CC is illegal in dorms or classrooms. and all the schools make their own policies.

so, to answer your question.
SCCC has NO official position on OC, they are solely concerned with allowing concealed carry on campuses, they do not advocate, nor support any further restrictions on OC, and they do not advocate nor support and loosening of restrictions either.

I will say that they are mostly a bunch of CC'ers and have not been "enlightened" regarding OC. and the their forum is not the place to discuss it, as the group has already determined that they will be SOLELY concerned with CC on college campuses. strike up a dialogue with some individuals, and invite them here (not on the forum, they'll troll you). educate the individuals.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

hunter45 wrote:
This is 10X as ridiculous as the claim that an OCer will be the first one taken out by a felon committing another crime. Both are the worst of Urban Legions.

Ask them for a cite - a specific reference where a legally OCing, non-law enforcement person had either of these acts performed against them. No takers in over 40 years of issuing this challenge.

Best part is if they find one somewhere that meets the test is that the decimal/percentage result will look a little like this - .00001%.

Yata hey

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Part of the structural with SCC is that many or most college students are under 21 and can't get a permit to conceal in most states.

Oddly, these students would benifitdirectly from legalizing open carry in Texas and the other 5 states banning open carry, and only indirectly from clarifying that concealed carry is not prohibited on campus.

Whatgives?

imported post

The fact remains that an OCer is more prepared for any threats against his or her life and those around them. What many people disagree with or take issue with about OCing is the visible nature of their choice to carry defensive arms. Whatever this is because of, it is too bad people can't recognize the validity of OC and its double duty as very visible reminder of everyone's rights and as an educational tool, outside of being a deterrent and potential life saver.
CCers, especially SCCC members should appreciate the commonalities to their own struggles and not dismiss it as something negative to their cause.
At a very basic level the OCer and CCer are fundamentally the same.

Seigi

imported post

It's shameful that so many otherwise pro-RKBA people are so willing to throw OC under a bus. With all the antis out there we don't need infighting in our ranks. That said, not being officially associated with "radicals" like us probably helps the cause when SCCC is attempting to convince people. As a political tactic I have to admit it's a smart move.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Seigi wrote:
...That said, not being officially associated with "radicals" like us probably helps the cause when SCCC is attempting to convince people. As a political tactic I have to admit it's a smart move.

Conserving ammunition is always a worthwhile endeavor.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

IF this is substantiated:

A) Contact SCCC and let him/them know of your displeasure

B) Join their Facebook group and do the same

P.S. - two of the founders of SCCC went to college around Cincinnati, and OC is definitely supported by them.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
BB62 wrote:
IF this is substantiated:
SCCC's site confirms this http://www.concealedcampus.org/contact.htm

Yata hey

The "substantiated" I referred to is that a) Mr. Gunzman said what the newspaper said he said, and b) that it wasin context - not whether or nothe was the organization's President.

Nothwithstanding,we all know that the media are always factually correct, and quote everyone accurately and in context, right? :quirky

There is currently some question about how substantiated the statement is:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum66/21315-3.html

look at DKSuddeth's post of 10:54AM today.

N00blet45

imported post

Why can't we just have people who support carry? If half of us want concealed carry and the other half want open carry we all still want carry. We all use an argument that has nothing to do with mode of carry (2nd amendment). Why must we be stuck on trivial issues such as how someone views our firearm?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

JDriver1.8t wrote:
NCSU chapter of SCCC is pro-open carry, just not on campus.

We meet at a pizza place beside campus and most of us OC at the meetings.
One giant step at a time is probably all we can hope for right now. Getting the foot and shoulder in the door with CC on campus for those not allowed to do so presently would IMO be an excellent beginning.

BTW - good show OCing at your meetings.

Yata hey