• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

pulled over armed

AGust82

imported post

If you get pulled over in CT are you legally obligated to tell the officer that you are carrying a gun? I don't think so but i can't find anything on it anywhere. I know this is the law in a few states.

romma

imported post

There is no duty to report in CT at this time..However, if specifically asked, I would reply truthfully for obvious reasons. But ifI was pulled over for speeding, or in an accident I would keep my trap shut.

sdrct

imported post

romma wrote:
There is no duty to report in CT at this time..However, if specifically asked, I would reply truthfully for obvious reasons. But ifI was pulled over for speeding, or in an accident I would keep my trap shut.
I agree about not saying anything-right up to the point that I have to get out of the car, or reach for my license (right rear pocket, pistol righthand carry in IWB). I don't want anyone getting nervous. If there's a chance that my pistol will be seen or otherwide discovered, I'm gonna keep my hands in plain sight, notify the LEO, and ask him/her what to do next.

JUMPMASTER

imported post

There is no requirement to notify. However, if you keep you gun in your glove box where you also keep you insurance and registration then you may want to tell the officer about a gun before you open the glove box. No need to surprise anyone.

romma

imported post

My firearm is always well concealed on my person in my control. I am as careful as can be when it comes to carry. I do hope the option for clarified open carry is the outcome of the declatory ruling that never seems to happen.I am tired of public servants and law enforcement trying to make criminals out of honest citizens that exercise their rights.

Lank

imported post

I was involved in an accident last month. I was carrying concealed at the time. I didn't say anything about it and the cops never asked. When they found out there were rifles in my trunk, they took it upon themselves to inspect them and check that the chambers were empty though.

I suppose I could have tried to explain to them that I'm a victim, not a suspect - and that the incident was an automobile accident, not a shooting. And then I could have lectured them about how telling me I can't go near my own car until they've had a chance to "inspect" my rifles when I have a loaded pistol in my jacket is a little bit silly. But then I figured I'd probably be better off ignoring them and letting them be idiots. At least I got some amusement out of it.

GoldCoaster

imported post

Thats kinda funny that they see rifles in the trunk and don't make what I would consider a logical extension that you're likely carrying also. Still, they are lowly public servants so they aren't paid for brains.

What town was this by the way?

romma

imported post

I think at the time they realized I had rifles in the vehicle, I would have disclosed that I was carrying. Once they found that out, the cat is out of the bag.

Lank

imported post

It was in Woodbridge. Someone hit my car and I went off the road into a telephone pole. They drove off, but the police caught them.

Flyer22

imported post

Lank wrote:
I was involved in an accident last month. I was carrying concealed at the time. I didn't say anything about it and the cops never asked. When they found out there were rifles in my trunk, they took it upon themselves to inspect them and check that the chambers were empty though.

I suppose I could have tried to explain to them that I'm a victim, not a suspect - and that the incident was an automobile accident, not a shooting. And then I could have lectured them about how telling me I can't go near my own car until they've had a chance to "inspect" my rifles when I have a loaded pistol in my jacket is a little bit silly. But then I figured I'd probably be better off ignoring them and letting them be idiots. At least I got some amusement out of it.
Where do you live, and what are the laws regarding long guns in your state? I'll give you an example--here in Colorado, the law states thatwhen a long gun isin a vehicle, the chambermust be unloaded.

Lank

imported post

Flyer22 wrote:
Lank wrote:

Where do you live, and what are the laws regarding long guns in your state? I'll give you an example--here in Colorado, the law states thatwhen a long gun isin a vehicle, the chambermust be unloaded.
My opinion is that it shouldn't matter - there was no reason to believe I was doing anything wrong. It's like when they see a gun case they just assume wrongdoing.

There was a backpack in the trunk too, but they didn't feel the need to rifle through it looking for cocaine.

Fritter60

imported post

Being around LEO's for my entire life I offer this, If there is ANY doubt that it will show wether when getting your info or any thing tell the LEO. They never know who's in the car. Take for example the Hartford man in upstate NY who for no reason opened fire. Protect yourself and let the officer go home.

romma

imported post

Why wouldn't the officer go home? My gun is my business... I am not going to shoot the cop. Besides, I care more about me than the cop anyhow. That's just how it is.

Lank

imported post

...it sounds like the final answer is:

No, you're not obligated to say anything. But exercise good judgement based on your situation.

modelo57

imported post

I spoke to a friend of mine with 30 years police service and he told me not to volunteer anything and answer all questions truthfully.

If you are asked to step out of the car or for a "pat down" inform the officer that you are carrying and volunteer your permit (in CT).

Tazman2

imported post

I've heard not required. But if asked if you have one its best to start off by saying "I have a carry permit and yes sir I have a gun at xxxxxx place" more or less. Ie don't just scream out that you have a gun unless you want one in your face! ;)