• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Howdy - newbie in Grand Rapids..

ghostrider

imported post

MrEarp wrote:
I thought I would just poke in and say hi. While I probally won't OC, I do have a CPL and do support what your doing.

Tnx

- Earp
Welcome to the forum. I also don't OC, so your not alone in your support of those who do. Keep an eye on these forums, as I have a feeling that after today's lunch, this area will become more active.

MrEarp

imported post

Definetly.. I've been reading the forum for awhile now and just decided to join tonight.I notice a lot of local people posting so I figure this would be a good chance at least to meet some other gunenthusiastsin the area. :)

Michigander

imported post

Welcome!

Whether open or concealed, the best defense is to carry it with you.:cool:

Although, I hope you'll consider at least OCing at the events, you might feel kind of left out if you don't. ;)

SpringerXDacp

imported post

MrEarp wrote:
Definetly.. I've been reading the forum for awhile now and just decided to join tonight.I notice a lot of local people posting so I figure this would be a good chance at least to meet some other gunenthusiastsin the area. :)
Welcome to OCDO MrEarp.

Hcidem

imported post

...and they begin to come out of the woodwork...

Welcome to OCDO, MrEarp. I had monitored the forum since May'08 before registering in October. You and the few others who have joined recently indicate I was not the only west Michigan "lurker" out there. Thanks for registering and participating in the discussion.

I was hesitant in part due to the high level of bravado shown by some forum members. I have learned that Michiganders are Michiganders (with no particular reference to Michigander:)), and the forum members I was hesitant to engage don't even visit the Michigan threads. The demeanor shown on the Michigan threads is pretty much what I expect to encounter face-to-face throughout our great state.

The Michigan threads does not lack anything in strength of belief or inenthusiasm for the cause. However, we seem to attract people who are very interested in discussing our challenges and in offering solutions. I would encourage the other "lurkers" who happen to read this post to register and join the discussion. It would really help us to see how many others are interested in the issues surrounding open carry and 2A rights.

Michigander

imported post

I agree totally Hcidem. All you lurkers out there, if you have decided to OC, it would at least be nice if you don't get involved here, if you sign up just so you can tell us you are doing it, that way we have a better idea of how many open carriers are in Michigan. Having a fairly accurate number of how many people open carry in Michigan is a useful number to know, because the more people MOC is representing, the more seriously politicians, police, and even those considering OCing will take us.

Of course it's always better to get involved if you can, but not everyone has time, or a regular internet connection.

taxwhat

imported post

Michigander wrote:
I agree totally Hcidem. All you lurkers out there, if you have decided to OC, it would at least be nice if you don't get involved here, if you sign up just so you can tell us you are doing it, that way we have a better idea of how many open carriers are in Michigan. Having a fairly accurate number of how many people open carry in Michigan is a useful number to know, because the more people MOC is representing, the more seriously politicians, police, and even those considering OCing will take us.

Of course it's always better to get involved if you can, but not everyone has time, or a regular internet connection.
Looking at this post has me at odds to keep my mouth shut or not those who know me already do . OK WHO made you the HALLmonitor or edict committee ? A lurker may become a great friend if show truth not dislike for the color of there shirt !

HPC9

imported post

Michigander wrote:

I'm sure what Michigander means is.

Even if you don't ever plan on getting into the discussion, it is still helpful to the OCDO cause if you sign up.

By you I mean anyone and everyone. Maybe it would be more clear stated as.

Even if one doesn't ever plan on getting into the discussion, it is still helpful to the OCDO cause if one was to sign up.

springerdave

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
imported post

HPC9, thanks for your input. You and I and many others knew what Michigander meant, but we were very practiced at deciphering by reading/ trying to read what Mr. taxwhat posts. nO ofence txwat, bUtt id gitz a LItll dficlt ta reds sem ov yer pOssts.springerdave.

ps. I don't doubt that you have a heart of gold, just hard to understand sometimes.

springerdave

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
imported post

taxwhat
I'll say it again. I don't doubt that you have a heart of gold, just hard to understand you sometimes. Never did I claim that you should not be allowed to post. My point is only that it is sometimes hard to figure out what your posts mean. And I will be the first to admit that my writing skills are quite lacking some of the time, to the point of not being clear to some, but but I make every attempt, without being thin skinned, to re-post to clear up my position or point, not just throw out another unclear statement. Sorry. You may call me anything you want, say that I made a "childish rub" but the sentence with that statement in it was your most complete one in a long time.springerdave

Hcidem

imported post

"What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Perhaps this in some small way reflects the difference between SE Michigan and NW Michigan language styles. :?

mymonie

imported post

Hcidem wrote:
...and they begin to come out of the woodwork...

Welcome to OCDO, MrEarp. I had monitored the forum since May'08 before registering in October. You and the few others who have joined recently indicate I was not the only west Michigan "lurker" out there. Thanks for registering and participating in the discussion.

I was hesitant in part due to the high level of bravado shown by some forum members. I have learned that Michiganders are Michiganders (with no particular reference to Michigander:)), and the forum members I was hesitant to engage don't even visit the Michigan threads. The demeanor shown on the Michigan threads is pretty much what I expect to encounter face-to-face throughout our great state.

The Michigan threads does not lack anything in strength of belief or inenthusiasm for the cause. However, we seem to attract people who are very interested in discussing our challenges and in offering solutions. I would encourage the other "lurkers" who happen to read this post to register and join the discussion. It would really help us to see how many others are interested in the issues surrounding open carry and 2A rights.
Okay, you've brought me out of the shadows. I'm a out of the closet lucker now. It's kind of refreshing.

I really enjoy reading about the OC experiences. When I first got my CPL a couple of years ago i found this site. I was blown away to know that OC was legal and legal without a CPL.

However, at the time - there was very little content in the Michigan section. What few experiences there were, were not positive. In fact, someone from the West MI posted that OC in GR was a very bad idea. Lot's of harassment, etc.

About 2 months ago i started "lurking" again, i could not believe the amount of content, stories, news stories, events - all in the Michigan section. Then to see actual GR/West MI residents OC'ing was incredible.

The OC movement should be proud, the growth over the past 2 years or so is simply amazing.

I CC but am thinking about OC'ing. Would also think about attending an event.

Thanks Hcidem for pushing us luckers out of the closet. Reading your post, i couldn't help but respond. I'm sure there are many other West MI / GR lurkers out there too.

I do have a question for you all though.

How does one open carry in the winter? Are we talking tactical, drop-leg holsters?

Peace,

guns4me

Hcidem

imported post

...and here I thought I might just be on a snipe hunt. Thanks for registering, guns4me, and welcome to OCDO.

At our lunch meeting this past Monday, the OCers all chose to wear jacketstucked behind our holsters (No! We didn't call each other to talk about what we were planning to wear...that's for girls, dontcha know). ;)

With a CPL, you could either casually OC, letting it show only when you take off a long coat, wear a short jacket, wear a drop-leg holster, or anything else legal. When I first contemplated winter OC, I could only think of Dudley Do-Right-style,an over-the-coat belt and holster.

Now that we know you're out there, we can possibly plan another informal get-together. I would love to meet and talk about guns and open carry.