• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pullman OC

FunkTrooper

imported post

Hey all I just turned 21 a few days ago and want to start OCing in the Pullman area. I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me about OCing in the area, for instance places to avoid. I was looking over the DNP list but didnt see any Pullman shops. I know campus doesn't allow OC or CC but what about the buses? Thanks.

just_a_car

imported post

Thanks for lookin' at the DNP List; I put a lot of effort into that.

I suggest taking a good look at the FAQ, also. Lots of potential questions are answered there: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/15411.html

Edit: Sorry, I'm a little tired and forgot to say Welcome to OCDO! We have quite a few East WA folk on here that get together every so often. We also try to do a monthly W. WA lunch/dinner meet every third Saturday or Sunday of the month, so if you're able to make it over, we'd love to have ya!

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Welcome to the board! You'll find some knowledgeable folks in your part of the world. Good luck and let us know how things go!

sudden valley gunner

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Welcome to the board! You'll find some knowledgeable folks in your part of the world. Good luck and let us know how things go!
yea all the unknowlegeable people ourin our part of the world.....j/k...welcome to the sight I hope you enjoy it as much as I do....lots of good info..did you look at the pamphlet...I printed several out with my color laser printer it comes out real nice very professional and I have handed them out to a few people it explains the laws way better than I can.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
yea all the unknowlegeable people ourin our part of the world.....j/k...welcome to the sight I hope you enjoy it as much as I do....lots of good info..did you look at the pamphlet...I printed several out with my color laser printer it comes out real nice very professional and I have handed them out to a few people it explains the laws way better than I can.

shad0wfax

imported post

Places to avoid OC in Pullman: The WSU campus.

I OC in Pullman quite often. DQ, Quizno's,and Taco Time are very OC friendly. The rest of the places I've gone in Pullman were OC neutral.

We should be having a Pullman meet right around the beginning of the upcoming semester.

FunkTrooper

imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
Places to avoid OC in Pullman: The WSU campus.
Yeah that's definitely not a place to be OCing, unfortunately for us University's don't tend to care much for all of our constitution. Honestly I don't know why people get nervouse about OCing I'd be more cautious of a guy I think is concealing a weapon.

Vandal

imported post

If you want somme kind of protection on campus you have 4 options as I see them.

1. Conceal on campus, just don't get caught. If you do odds are you'll be expelled that week. The risk vs reward doesn't quite work out for me. It is not an actual crime but is in violation of the school rules you agreed to. They can't file charges against you but can and probably will expel you.

2. Carry pepper spray. I have my g/f do this on the WSU campus.

3. I carry a Cold Steel Punch Dagger when I am on the Idaho campus or WSU at night and put my 45 on when I get to my car.

The fourth, and the one I trust the least is 911. WSU PD is a joke IMO. The last person I want responding to my call is a PD Intern. Part of this bias is that I know a few of them and what "training" they have. Don't get me started on the jack booted thugs that are Pullman PD. They are being quietly investigated for corruption BTW.

I OC in Moscow and Pullman all the time and have had zero issues other than some morons I knew in ROTC giving me a bunch of crap for it. I don't pay much attention to them in light of what happened last semester.

steelcoreap

imported post

FunkTrooper, welcome! As some of the other guys have said there are a few of us in pullman that OC. I want to say that there are 6-8 guys in pullman who oppen carry with some frequency. Hell you might even run into us once everyone gets back. So far I havent had any problems in pullman, though like it has been said do not go on to campus. A gray area that I have tried very hard to avoid is school own property, again I think its a no-no but i'm not sure. So watch yourself at placed like school owned apartments. I dont know if it was every found but someone was looking for a map that showed the boundary lines of what is wsu property and what isnt. A few stores that are oc neutral or even friendly are Schucks, Safeway, Shopco (after one of the members talked to the manager), Dairy Queen, Cugar Country, so far all the gas stations, and Dismores. In fact i'm in the grocery store so much with my gun I think its how they recognize me. Anyways as it was said earlier there will most likely be a lunch or dinner pretty soon so watch for that. We have a long ongoing thread you've probably found about the pullmen oc report. That seems to be where we keep intouch. If you have any other questions pm me and I'll do my best to help.
Kevin

Triple Tap

imported post

Vandal wrote:
If you want somme kind of protection on campus you have 4 options as I see them.

1. Conceal on campus, just don't get caught. If you do odds are you'll be expelled that week. The risk vs reward doesn't quite work out for me. It is not an actual crime but is in violation of the school rules you agreed to. They can't file charges against you but can and probably will expel you.

3. I carry a Cold Steel Punch Dagger when I am on the Idaho campus or WSU at night and put my 45 on when I get to my car.

The fourth, and the one I trust the least is 911. WSU PD is a joke IMO. The last person I want responding to my call is a PD Intern. Part of this bias is that I know a few of them and what "training" they have. Don't get me started on the jack booted thugs that are Pullman PD. They are being quietly investigated for corruption BTW.

I OC in Moscow and Pullman all the time and have had zero issues other than some morons I knew in ROTC giving me a bunch of crap for it. I don't pay much attention to them in light of what happened last semester.

They allow peeperspray? You should open carry one of those big bear peeperspray canisters like dog the bounty hunter carries but in protest of no real OC. I dont see how they an justify a size of carry. Strap it to your leg.

Big Crimes desire big spray....:D

Vandal

imported post

Go all "Dog the Bounty Hunter" style with the massive cans of bear spray. :dude:

https://store.udap.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=15HP&Category_Code=BS

ETA: FunkTrooper, go to Pullman PD and get the paperwork for your permit ASAP. It took me 2 weeks for my out of state CPL to come in to me via PPD. If you go to Colfax to the Whitman Co Sheriff's office I hav heard rumors of a month plus to get it back.

aderuwe

imported post

Vandal wrote
I don't pay much attention to them in light of what happened last semester.
If you don't mind, what happened last semester? Having graduated, I'm disconnected from the happenings, but still interested.

Thanks.

Vandal

imported post

There was a group of males running around attacking person they believed to be gay, both males and females. You can still find stuff in the Daily Evergreen online archives

I also had a friend of mine get jumped by an armed male in the US Bank parking lot downtown. The Suspect was later arrested in Boise for the same thing and was later discovered to have a warrant for killing a family member with a 30-06 somewhere in the Southern US.

That plus being a probable target in a killing 2 years ago in Moscow have really set in my mind that you alone are responsible for your personal safety. It was the John Delling case. He called me at 5am the morning he killed an old friend of his from high school. I knew him pretty well around the same time from a church group we were involved in. I know he called me as his prints were found on the pay phone used to call me from Moscow.

Shy_Panda

imported post

Vandal wrote:

Careful Vandal, You CAN NOT carry pepper spray on the WSU campus according to the WAC. Normally I would be able to post a link to it, but am already late for dinner with the fam. 3.5/4 inch blades (can't remember which off the top of my head) is the max length for any knife, but I KNOW for a fact that pepper spray is a no-no... but if they don't make a big deal out of it then so be it.

When we have our meet this up comming week there are a few stories that I think you all will find entertaining.

shad0wfax

imported post

Shy_Panda wrote:
[SNIP]

When we have our meet this up comming week there are a few stories that I think you all will find entertaining.

Yeah, I've heard a few of the more interesting stories, from the horse's mouth as it were. ;)

You're living up to your avatar name, Panda. You're shy. It'll be good to finally meet you.

just_a_car

imported post

Shy_Panda wrote:
Careful Vandal, You CAN NOT carry pepper spray on the WSU campus according to the WAC. Normally I would be able to post a link to it, but am already late for dinner with the fam. 3.5/4 inch blades (can't remember which off the top of my head) is the max length for any knife, but I KNOW for a fact that pepper spray is a no-no... but if they don't make a big deal out of it then so be it.

SP, you may want to check this out: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=20172

It appears that they cover their (and really 'our') butts better than Firearms Preemption does. They use terms like "quasi-municipal corporation" and "unit of government" and I'd say that a publicly-funded, publicly-regulated institution of higher education would most certainly qualify under one of those if not both.