• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The most LOC friendly state

Window_Seat

imported post

Apologize if this has been asked before. So I'm just wondering since I'm new to this, what is the most LOC (edited to add: Loaded Open Carry) friendly state in the lower 48 states. I am quite sure that AK is very friendly, and I might be traveling there someday, but I'm more likely to do more travels in the lower 48 states.

Erik.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Please, what is "LOC" to you?

To paramedics it may be Loss Of Consciousness. If it is to you Legal Open Carry then the 'L' is at least a distraction, OC will be legal in a friendly state.

A question about LOC has not been asked before. Search is your friend.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

TheMrMitch

imported post

Kentucky, of course. Maybe followed by Oklahoma. Yes to Alaska and Vermont.

*Firearms Ownership: unrestricted, no permit or license required

[align=left]
*Assault weapon ownership: unrestricted, no permit or license required[/align]
[align=left] *Machine Gun Ownership:
no state restrictions, compliance with federal law only[/align]
[align=left] *Firearm law uniformity:
preemption law, firearm laws uniform throughout state[/align]
[align=left] *Right of Self-Defense: castle doctrine, right protected by statute[/align]
[align=left] *Open carry: unrestricted in most public areas and generally accepted[/align]
[align=left] *Concealed carry:
licenses granted to residents on a "shall issue" basis; automatic
reciprocity for nonresidents with licenses from other states[/align]

[align=left] *Vehicle carry and transportation:
firearms (rifles, shotguns and handguns) may
be carried
loaded and in plain view; loaded handguns maybe carried in
the glove compartment (center console box carry is not allowed)
[/align]
[align=left][/align]

Decoligny

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Does one qualify for UOC by carrying a paperweight?

In town I wear an empty holster.
No, one qualifies for UOC by living in California. It is currently the only legal method of Open Carry for most of California.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Arizona! Anyone not otherwise restricted may open carry (loaded) resident or not.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Probably Virginia or Kentucky.

I've lived in Arizona and while Arizonans think they have great gun laws they can't carry loaded firearms in cars on school property (even with a CCW), in any place that serves alcohol (beer and wine included), municipal parks if restricted to CCW permittees only, any municipal or government owned building if a sign has been put up AND a weapon lock-up is provided and they have to deal with the varying regulations of the Indian lands that are splattered all over (although no fault to the state government for that).

The verdict on Virginia and Kentucky would change as soon as you throw in licensed open carry and then Utah would win hands down (if I recall Utah laws correctly).

Michigander

imported post

If you have a license, Michigan is really nice, because the you can open carry in "gun free zones". Otherwise, it's a pain in the ass. :(

AZ laws have their problems, but the advantage is that cops there have a strong tendency to not care, and simply respect that good people should carry guns where and when they want to. Good cops are at least half of the equation to OC friendliness.

jbone

imported post

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41

WA is Shall Issue CPLstate, and an Open Carry State. You may be loaded and one in the pipe for both.In vehicle OC you must have CPL to be loaded or to leave loaded gun in vehicle. In a nut shell...More above...

Forgot, no CPL or anything else required to OC, as long as you legallypurchase/possessafirearm under state and federal law.

PikesPeakMtnMan

imported post

Colorado!

We're a very OC friendly state (not counting Denver :banghead:) and no permit required to carry in your vehicle, open or concealed. Nor do we have hardly any other restrictions where one may carry.

madcapmag

imported post

Arizona is nice, with the exceptions stated above. It's kind of hot/cold here. People don't care, cops don't care, etc. if you are OCing, but the written law is a bit stricter than some states.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I don't go on school grounds... seldom in gummin't faclities... Only place I can't remain heeled is in bars or restaurants that serve alcohol. I buy beer in grocery stores heeled tho. Other than that...I strap that gunbelt on 'n go anywhere... everyday.

Gordie

imported post

Nevada is pretty good, although Clark Co. (Las Vegas, North Las Vegas, Henderson) can be troublesome. The rest of the state is great, open carry andloaded carry in a car (as long as not concealed on person) are both legal without a permit. CCW is shall issue and allows the carrier to conceal on their person while in a vehicle.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

The main thing 'bout Arizona... 'Hardly ever hear 'bout somebody gettin' jacked by the LEO's for OC... anywhere. Yeah... PA, VA, KY 'n elsewhere have recognized OC... but still... people get arrested by the fuzz for nothin' other than 'carrying'. PA and VA especially. Are the localLEO's that stupid or just hard headed?

I've read 'bout people gettin' jacked by the local Popo'sin New Mexico... Albakerkilackyin particular. Dunno 'bout Santa Fe now with all the teabags that've moved in... I OC in Las Cruces. 'n on the border... but rarely go north of there.