• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC on POA Property

carryall

imported post

I live in SC and am an owner of a property in a private, gates POA. Since the POA property is private property with common ownership, can I carry open on POA property?

Thanks,

Carry All:question:

340mopar

imported post

what is POA?

... OK assuming it is a "Property Owners Association: ..."

if you own the property, or if you are an employee with permission you should be fine. If you own a lot. then you are only legal on the lot you own. best I know of..

and teck nick lee speaking yuou could not go on any other private lot without permission ... if you are CWP'ing

PT111

imported post

I doubt that what you are thinking will fly but IANAL or LEO. You can carry on private property with permission of the owner however who is the owner of the common property? I whould think it would be the POA and therefor under the control of the POA. As Mopar pointed out if you consider it private property (not a business) then you would need express permission of the POA to even carry concealed much less openly. You would also have to consider that is the common property under control of the developer or has he sold all of the lots and turned it over completely to the homeowners? Then you would get into is it "public" for workers or even garbage collection which then may classify it as public.

I think you raise an interesting question that I don't have a firm answer to but would like to know.

340mopar

imported post

We have a lot of private subdivisions that are equiped with Landing strips. Each owner may or may not have an airplane, but they are designed for those that are into the life style of aviation.

I have yet to hear of one geared towards guns, shooting ranges, open carry etc. Very interesting thought ....

Hef

imported post

You may legally open carry on your own property in SC, whether gated community or not. The laws of the state of SC don't change for gated communities. I live in a gated community on Hilton Head and I open carry on my property often and without incident. My neighbors don't seem to care.