• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Defending our rights in 2009

Hcidem

imported post

Thank you EdifyGuyfor getting the ball rolling in addressing the 2009 legislative session. We alll hope this will be the year that will turn the tide for 2A rights, including those which affect OC. Toward that goal, and in planning for subsequent years, I have opened this thread to discuss general strategies and tactics we intend to employ.

Here are the threads related to this year's campaign:

Lansing Rallies: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/20206.html

Registrations: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/20216.html

Victim Zones: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/20207.html

Transportation: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/20214.html

Hcidem

imported post

We discussed the likelihood of passing OC-friendly legislation at a recent Grand Rapids OC breakfast. It seemed to be generally accepted that our outstater legislators are frequently outvoted by the Metro Detroit representation. This east-sided majority is highly unlikely to ever change.

This makes it imperative to develop our influence in the Metro Detroit area at the same time we address the legislative issues which are possible to change this year. This would requires a longer-term strategy which is focused on membership as opposed to law. As we become active in the pursuit of friendly legislation, we cannot forget the importance of building our presence throughout the state - particularly in that segment of eastern Michigan.

Hcidem

imported post

In regard to concentrating our efforts on MOC issues, I wonder how we might leverage the potential benefits of interacting with other Michigan gun rights groups.

Several of us have begun participating in the Open Carry forum thread at MGO. I cannot see this in anyway jeopardizing our support of OCDO because MGO is generically gun based (ranging from CC to hunting privileges), where OCDO is oriented specifically toward self-defense. EdifyGuyhas posted an inquiry to determine any interest they might have in a joint rally in Lansing.

MGO happens to partner with SAFR. I have inquired into the relationship, but have not yet received any answers regarding how they work together. What I have been able to piece together is the following.

MGO seems to concentrate on local education initiatives in their communities. These initiatives seems to be mainly located in eastern to central Michigan. They also support charitable initiatives related to their cause.

SAFR, on the other hand, seems to be more oriented toward lobbying Lansing. They have a forum which seems to put more emphasis on legislative issues. It looks like one of our forum's participants is on their board of directors. They have a legal advice section moderated by an attorney who also moderates the similar legal advice section found on the MGO forum.

Neither of these groups seem oppositional to MOC initiatives. Neither are particularly geared toward the narrower focus that MOC has adopted. I believe that we should see if we can periodically pursue joint efforts in areas where our interests merge.

I think we might be able to gain much from utilizing SAFR's legislative focus. MOC members who are inclined to pursue Lansing on legal issues would find that this group has a good idea of which proposed bills are effectively dead as opposed to those which have some life in them. Using SAFR's resources to examine these bills would free MOC members to continue what we do best - gathering in public.

Please let me know if I have misrepresented these groups in any way, or if you have particular reservations which would need to be addressed before you would feel comfortable making any joint efforts with them.

Edit: Correction of numerous typos of MGO as MOC.