• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Private Transfers

Dustin

imported post

I'd like to discuss this a little.

Is this a true statement ?
As long as you DO NOT sale a gun to a Felon, you'll never be in danger of having criminal charges against you for anything to do with that firearm.
Anyone want to elaborate ?

charlie12

imported post

I would say and that's only me talking, if to the best of your knowledge the person you are selling to can legally buy a gun and you record the sale as in a bill of sale and keep your paper work. You should be ok. If the ATF comes to you years later for find the gun just tell them the truth and show them where you sold the gun and to who and when.

But that just me talking.

Dustin

imported post

charlie12 wrote:
I would say and that's only me talking, if to the best of your knowledge the person you are selling to can legally buy a gun and you record the sale as in a bill of sale and keep your paper work. You should be ok. If the ATF comes to you years later for find the gun just tell them the truth and show them where you sold the gun and to who and when.

What does the Bill of Sale look like ? Something Offical ?

And does it need to be notoraized ?

charlie12

imported post

Dustin wrote:
charlie12 wrote:

What does the Bill of Sale look like ? Something Offical ?

And does it need to be notoraized ?

From everything I've heard over the years by law you don't have to have anything. But everygun I've ever sold I got the person DL and copied his name, address, DL number and DOB.

Then I just wrote all that plus what model. make. serial number. cal., the date and time of the sale.

Made two copies we both signed them he got one I kept the other.

No notary.

Keep your copy to cover your butt if they ever come to you to ask questions.

MBGuy

imported post

As long as you don't knowingly sell to a felon, you don't need a thing if it's a face to face transaction.

From one state to another, using a shipper,you mustship itto an FFL in the buyer's state, and the FFL does the 4473 form on him when he goes to pick it up. You can not ship directly to the buyerwhen shipping over state lines.

charlie12

imported post

MBGuy wrote:
As long as you don't knowingly sell to a felon, you don't need a thing if it's a face to face transaction.

From one state to another, using a shipper,you mustship itto an FFL in the buyer's state, and the FFL does the 4473 form on him when he goes to pick it up. You can not ship directly to the buyerwhen shipping over state lines.

You're right you don't HAVE to have any paper work. My deal is to cover your butt if that gun is ever used in a crime and they come to you looking for the owner.

I would much rather just pull out the paper and show them where I sold the gun to Joe Blow two years ago and send them to Joe Blow's house.