• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Boy, 4, shoots babysitter for stepping on foot

Carnivore

imported post

Mini14 wrote:
Thank Heaven the kid didn't have a Luger, he might have shot all those present; based upon what I've seen, it's a caseof .'monkey see, monkey do'.

I agree, the kids needs major therapy; Jeffrey Dahmer's Dad allegedly influeced his son's conduct, wih Mayberry-style correction. We all know how that matter concluded.

As to the parents, they could have gotten a $10 surplus high school locker; with a $1.00 DG padlock. it would make a poor man's gun safe. They should lose custody of that kid, no excuses.

YEP, Mayberry type upbringing was just a fantasy, but then again Opie 's mishaps were just a tad bit under scale for some of the stunts I and fellas i grew up with pulled so they may have fit the story line.

I just find it really unbelievable that a 4 yr. old could manifest the type of anger that would initiate the mechanics and sequence of this type of retaliation..

-someone stepped on my foot

-gosh darn that really hurt

-no one apologized

-now everyones laughing

-my only other option is to go to the closet where I know the loaded shotgun is kept and retrieve it when no ones watching.

-operate the necessary functions to enable it to fire, and teach these folks a lesson.

-(GO AHEAD PUNK, MAKE MY DAY !!)

I still don't buy the story..

Vegassteve

imported post

PT111 wrote:
Carnivore wrote:
I think it's a bogus story!! I suspect the teenagers were dicking around with the gun irresponsibly, and had an accident and laid the blame on the kid, and are damn lucky no one got killed.. I know for a fact my 4 yr. old granddaughter couldn't muster control of a shotgun, and most likely would have no idea how to make it function, or even know where a safety is let alone be able to actuate it.. These kids in my opinion figured "( no one is gonna believe a 4 yr. old, lets blame it on the kid)"

It is quite amazing to me how some people on this board are so ready to call anyone a liar just because something unusual happens. Maybe your 4 year old grand-daughter couldn't handle one but I know plenty that can and do.

http://dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2009/01/06/shoot.ART_ART_01-06-09_B1_C1CEDL4.html?sid=101

How does that news article make it any less bogus? Really? I mean a house full of teens, and the little kid did it. Again I think there is more here than is being told.

Carpetbagger

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
I think much too much importance is placed on getting one's child into a good gang when they are still infants.
If you want your child to eventually get into the best prison gangs, you have to get them into the best street gangs when they're young. :p

ijusam

imported post

I have been consistently surprised by what my kids can do. at 6 my son put together an entertainment center when I didn't get around to it quick enough. the directions were pictures and I had to re-tighten the screws (allen head). the skills requiredto load and fire a single shot 20 gauge isn't that great, but I doubt he would be a good "wing shot":lol:

Carnivore

imported post

ijusam wrote:
I have been consistently surprised by what my kids can do. at 6 my son put together an entertainment center when I didn't get around to it quick enough. the directions were pictures and I had to re-tighten the screws (allen head). the skills requiredto load and fire a single shot 20 gauge isn't that great, but I doubt he would be a good "wing shot":lol:

OK fair enough, the mechanics involved, lenght/guage/single/pump/semiauto,10/12/16/20/410/28 Ga. none of that has been identified yet, but what about the Malice/attitude/frame of mind/ is your 6 yr. old capable of that? I find it really hard to believe that at the point of the foot being stepped onand the wince from the pain the kid felt, that a 4 yr. old(boy or girl) decided someone needed to be killed..

and Don't say the kid had no intentions of actually killing someone over just winging him,

Was it an intentional wounding, or was the kid a bad shot?

because you've pretty much agreed that your 6 yr. old is so mechanically inclinedthat managing toretrieve one of your firearms and acting out in malice towards someone or somethingmight not surprise you..

I just don't think a 4 yr. old is capable of putting this whole tragedy together..

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I prefer to reserve judgment until all the facts are available - too many time things are not as initially reported.

Yata hey

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

Carnivore wrote:
ijusam wrote:

OK fair enough, the mechanics involved, lenght/guage/single/pump/semiauto,10/12/16/20/410/28 Ga. none of that has been identified yet, but what about the Malice/attitude/frame of mind/ is your 6 yr. old capable of that? I find it really hard to believe that at the point of the foot being stepped onand the wince from the pain the kid felt, that a 4 yr. old (boy or girl) decided someone needed to be killed..

and Don't say the kid had no intentions of actually killing someone over just winging him,

Was it an intentional wounding, or was the kid a bad shot?

because you've pretty much agreed that your 6 yr. old is so mechanically inclinedthat managing toretrieve one of your firearms and acting out in malice towards someone or somethingmight not surprise you..

I just don't think a 4 yr. old is capable of putting this whole tragedy together..

If I may interject here....

I think it ALL depends upon HOW OFTEN THE CHILD HAS HEARD THE TREAT OF "I'LL SHOOT YOU"

The child is NOT to young to physically do the action especially if they have seen the proceedure a few times of loading, aiming, and pulling the trigger. THE CHILD IS TOO YOUNG TO UNDERSTAND THE POTENTIAL OF THE ACTION!!!!!!

Most 4 year olds are still very much in the fantasy world that we have all seen in cartoons as we grew up... just how many times did the old Coyote suffer from the ACME whatever company in his never ending quest to get the Road Runner!

I am not sure WHO to hold responsible here!

JoeSparky

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

This still comes down to parenting(age). According to the latest articles, the kid had a lot of toy guns. I am sure most of us had these when we were small. In my day these even shot plastic bullets, and used "stick-em caps". But WE were all told NEVER POINT A GUN AT A PERSON, AND NEVER POINT A GUN AT SOMETHING YOU DO NOT WANT TO SHOOT. I got that lesson from as far back as I can remember, from EVERY adultI can remember meeting.

So does anyone suspect the message MAY have been different for this child. If the message had been to NEVER point a gun at a person, it would not matter what the kid thought or felt otherwise.

Tess has this right on target.

"Put the guns away - Watch the children"

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

JoeSparky wrote:
Citizen wrote:
JoeSparky wrote:
SNIP I am not sure WHO to hold responsible here!
Warner Bros.and Hanna-Barbera. :)
They may have a legitimate defense in that neither the shotgun or the shell were provided or purchased from the ACME COMPANY!
I'll bet it was a subsidiary of Spacely Sprockets! :)

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

Citizen wrote:
JoeSparky wrote:
Citizen wrote:
JoeSparky wrote:
SNIP I am not sure WHO to hold responsible here!
Warner Bros.and Hanna-Barbera. :)
They may have a legitimate defense in that neither the shotgun or the shell were provided or purchased from the ACME COMPANY!
I'll bet it was a subsidiary of Spacely Sprockets! :)
Just be on the lookout for any packages from "THE ACME TERRORIST SUPPLY COMPANY":what::what:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
I love the way this General Discussion forum descends to Vaudeville after all the main points have been made (in most cases) :celebrate
Your entertainment value may vary but it is always worth what you paid for it. :)

Yata hey

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Mini14 wrote:
Thank Heaven the kid didn't have a Luger, he might have shot all those present; based upon what I've seen, it's a caseof .'monkey see, monkey do'.
The 4 year old kid that can pull the toggle to cock a Luger is waay out on the right hand tail of the capabilities distribution. Even less likely would be a modern Luger with grip safety.

I kept a new Luger loaded not cocked for my now 30 y.o. daughters life, depending on the toggle to frustrate adventures beyond training.