• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

complicated question

ohdag19

imported post

I am originally from Asheboro and I am currently in the Marines. I am stationed overseas until Feb and then I will be home in Asheboro on leave for a couple weeks and then head to Camp Lejeune. I have been reading some horror stories about the Onslow County sheriff on here with his dealings with Marines. If I were to get my gun permit and conceal carry permit in Randolph County NC would that be legitimate in Onslow County? I am hoping that any NC sheriff's office permit will cover all of NC but does anyone know for sure? I appreciate your help.

JF

RayBurton72

imported post

ohdag19 wrote:
I am originally from Asheboro and I am currently in the Marines. I am stationed overseas until Feb and then I will be home in Asheboro on leave for a couple weeks and then head to Camp Lejeune. I have been reading some horror stories about the Onslow County sheriff on here with his dealings with Marines. If I were to get my gun permit and conceal carry permit in Randolph County NC would that be legitimate in Onslow County? I am hoping that any NC sheriff's office permit will cover all of NC but does anyone know for sure? I appreciate your help.

JF
Once a purchase permit is issued (by any NC sheriff), it is good for five years and can be used anywhere in the state.

Ditto for the Concealed Handgun Permit - though you will have to arrange to take the CHP training class (8 hours of really bad video on NC firearms laws)

If your family has been in Randolph County for any period of time, then there is a high likelihood you can get your purchase permit in one trip to the sheriff's office - I have several friends who routinely go in and get their permits in about 10 minutes there (I meanwhile suffer through a 5 business day wait in Guilford County).

While you may have had your driver's license changed to reflect your last PCS, since you grew up in Randolph County, it is pretty likely you can still get your permit there since NC recognizes you as a resident of the county from which you entered military service until you leave the service, regardless of what your DL may say.

ohdag19

imported post

Thanks for the replies guys. I will def go the Randolph County route, I still have it as the address on my license. The Community College offers the CC course for only $47 but a limited schedule.

BRobb19

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA
imported post

Since your ID has the Randolph County address on it, this wont matter to you right now, but it will matter to you once you change your address.

What Ray Burton said is not at all correct.

You cannot be issued a permit with an address differing from what is on your license/ID card, no matter how many years you may have previously been a wonderful model citizen of that town/county.

And should you move, and have your license/ID address changed, you must also have an updated CCH permit issued to you with the updated address on it. Your CCH permit will not be honored by law enforcement if there is conflicting information between it and your DMV information. Presumably this is to prevent a "John Smith of XYZ Lane" to carry a handgun with a permit that actually belongs to "John Smith of ABC Road".

This was stressed to us multiple times throughout my concealed carry class, and was repeated to me at the Sheriff's Dept. when I received my CCH permit.

Have a nice day.

TFED12

imported post

BRobb19 wrote:
Since your ID has the Randolph County address on it, this wont matter to you right now, but it will matter to you once you change your address.

ohdag19,

Welcome to the forum. Since your current license has your Randolph address and this is your "permanent" address, there is no need to change it. Your duty station is just that,a "duty station" , not necesarily your permanent address. So I see no need to change your address. I did this when I was active duty and everything was legit.

BTW,

Thank you for your service.

BRobb19

imported post

TFED12 wrote:
BRobb19 wrote:

ohdag19,

Welcome to the forum. Since your current license has your Randolph address and this is your "permanent" address, there is no need to change it. Your duty station is just that,a "duty station" , not necesarily your permanent address. So I see no need to change your address. I did this when I was active duty and everything was legit.

BTW,

Thank you for your service.

whats the quotes for? who said anything about a "need to change your address"?

i stated that once he moves and changes addresses, it will apply to him. whether this happens in 6 days, 6 months, 6 years, or 60 years makes no difference to me, and i didnt suggest otherwise. maybe he will live at the same address the rest of his life.

so what are you talking about?

TFED12

imported post

BRobb19,

It is my sincere regret that I have managed to offend you on this forum.

I apologize to you and the other members.

You know, when I first came to this forum, I thought I was a "know-it-all". I soon found out that I have many things to learn.

I'm human --- I have frailtys ---- and make mistakes.

I am man enough to admit when I'm wrong. And, I was wrong.

Wrong, for placing the word "need" in my post when quoting you.

Wrong, for interpreting your post as suggesting that ohdag19 would be changing his address while residing in NC.

It may well be that I'm not worthy of this forum. And that, I accept.

I have always tried to have productive discussions with members on this forum even if we disagree. Productive in that I have never called anyone an idiot or told anyone they were wrong about anything they posted. Debated heatedly, yes. But never told anyone they were wrong. I really try to give everyone respect until they show me otherwise and only in regard to manners.... not knowledge of a particular topic.

Probably, I deserved your reaction to my post because I have not had a chance to get to know you and what sparks your reactions. I take full responsibility for this.

But --- after all is said and done --- I never came here to cause trouble.

I came here to be informed, to debate and participate in an open forum. I put my shoe into my big mouth. That's MY shortcoming.

Again, in closing, my apologies to you BRobb19 and the many others who bring so much to this forum, and whom I've offended ---- with never any intention of doing so.

I NEVER intended to offend anyone. I really came here to learn. I'm sorry it didn't come off that way. I can't take it back. But I wish I could.

I also apologize to ohdag19 for hijacking this thread with this response.

Best Regards.....and I mean that sincerely. Not as a smart ass sign off.

RayBurton72

imported post

BRobb19: You really need to learn to be a little less abrasive, especially since you get so much stuff wrong.

BRobb19 wrote:
SNIP: You cannot be issued a permit with an address differing from what is on your license/ID card, no matter how many years you may have previously been a wonderful model citizen of that town/county.
I never said anything about being issued a permit with an address different from what is on your license/ID, what I said was, the Sheriff of Randolph county may issue him a purchase permit.

And for your next comment, yes, ANY NC sheriff can issue a purchase permit to ANY NC Resident (not just a resident of their particular county, if the purpose listed on the application is "collecting")
§ 14‑404. Issuance or refusal of permit; appeal from refusal; grounds for refusal; sheriff's fee.

(a) Upon application, the sheriff shall issue the license or permit to a resident of that county, unless the purpose of the permit is for collecting, in which case a sheriff can issue a permit to a nonresident. . .
Since I happen to have first-hand experience with how the Randolph County Sheriff handles purchase permits, I doubt someone who grew up there and wasn't in trouble most of his life is likely to be handled, especially one who is serving our country.
And should you move, and have your license/ID address changed, you must also have an updated CCH permit issued to you with the updated address on it. Your CCH permit will not be honored by law enforcement if there is conflicting information between it and your DMV information. Presumably this is to prevent a "John Smith of XYZ Lane" to carry a handgun with a permit that actually belongs to "John Smith of ABC Road".

Changing his address is not really an issue, because the permit will have already been issued. getting the address on it changed is an adminstrative issue, not a issuance issue.

Second, as an NC resident, he is not required to update his ID until he leaves the service. So long as he is active duty, NC considers his him to be a legal resident of the place he entered the service - not matter how long it has been since he lived there.

Therefore, he can legally apply for his CHP as a resident of Randolph County, and keep that permit and his DL listing that address until his discharge.

BRobb19

imported post

Ray, you are an idiot.

"purpose of the permit is for collecting", which means to PURCHASE AND OWN, not purchase and carry concealed.

Statute 14-404 references PISTOL PURCHASE PERMITS, not Concealed Carry Handgun Permits. Everything you wrote was irrelevant to this post.

Here is Statute 14-404 in full detail for anyone who would like to view it:
http://law.onecle.com/north-carolina/14-criminal-law/14-404.html

Try again Ray. See if you can come up with something better.

Also, thanks for the sympathy TFed. No harm done!

TFED12

imported post

I will not argue Weather Rayburton's post was relevent or not..but...this is the FULL context of NC GS-14-404 section (a) from the NCGA website.

§ 14‑404. Issuance or refusal of permit; appeal from refusal; grounds for refusal; sheriff's fee.

(a) Upon application, the sheriff shall issue the license or permit to a resident of that county, unless the purpose of the permit is for collecting, in which case a sheriff can issue a permit to a nonresident, when the sheriff has done all of the following:

(1) Verified, before the issuance of a permit, by a criminal history background investigation that it is not a violation of State or federal law for the applicant to purchase, transfer, receive, or possess a handgun. The sheriff shall determine the criminal and background history of any applicant by accessing computerized criminal history records as maintained by the State Bureau of Investigation and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, by conducting a national criminal history records check, by conducting a check through the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), and by conducting a criminal history check through the Administrative Office of the Courts.

(2) Fully satisfied himself or herself by affidavits, oral evidence, or otherwise, as to the good moral character of the applicant.

(3) Fully satisfied himself or herself that the applicant desires the possession of the weapon mentioned for (i) the protection of the home, business, person, family or property, (ii) target shooting, (iii) collecting, or (iv) hunting.

I read this to mean not only collecting......

However, I could be wrong.

BRobb19

imported post

That is Correct TFed, because those are the rights you are allowed as a gun owner. Whether "collecting", or target shooting, or hunting, or keeping it in a nightstand in case of an emergency, that's the gunowner's choice.

However, this is irrelevant to receiving a Concealed Carry Permit.

Keeping a gun in your nightstand and carrying one tucked under your jacket into Wal-Mart when you go grocery shopping are two separate allowances.

A Pistol Purchase Permit allows you to buy that gun to keep in your nightstand.

A Concealed Carry Permit allows you to buy that gun AND carry it tucked under your jacket when you go into Wal-Mart.

Does that make sense?

TFED12

imported post

It has always made perfect sense the way I interpret it. And yes I know it has nothing to do with CCH permit. But the original poster mentioned getting both permits...that's why I am refering to purchase.

Such as the question on the application that asks what purpose......I can put any or all of the afore mentioned uses......target shooting, self protection, hunting, collecting. When I got my purchase permit, my address was not where I live, so I took a copy of my tax statement which showed my residential address and received my permits.

As far as changing the address on a NCDL, the DMV askes for no proof of my new address. They just put down what I told them. So, I don't think that a DL is actual proof of exactly what county or city you live in. And, I can't find anywhere in the GS that states a NCDL must be used to show proof of where you live. Again, this is open for interpretation.

So I interpret the context of that statute to mean the sheriff can issue a non resident a permit for any of those reasons. That's just my interpretation.....a court may agree or disagree the same as any other person concerning any other general statute.....Most statutes, laws, and directives are open for interpretation....such as was the case in Heller vs US.

What a healthy debate.....

RayBurton72

imported post

ohdag19 wrote:

JF

Just to summarize the key points you raise, given the off-topic verbage...

Since you have said your NCDL has your Randolph County address on it, you should be good to go on getting both Purchase Permits and your Concealed Handgun Permit from the Randolph County Sheriff.

While both types of permits are issued by the Sheriff's Office, they are State permits and once issued, are valid anywhere in the state for 5 years.

Additionally, once you have your CHP, you will no longer need to obtain a purchase permit to buy handgunds, as your CHP will suffice.

If you change the address on your Driver's License, you will also have to report your change of address to the new sheriff to update your CHP, but that will not give Sheriff Ed Brown (Onslow County) the chance to take your NC CHP away.

As I have said before, it is my understanding that as active duty military, it is okay for your to continue using your Randolph County address during your entire active duty time.

One thing to consider, if you will be living on-base, you may (I am pretty sure you will) have to turn in any firearms to the armory, after getting your CO's permission to have them on base. A MUCH better solution is to make sure your have somewhere off base to keep them.

If you want somewhere to shoot while home on leave, give me a shout, I live nearby and attend pistol matches nearly every weekend.

Good luckand thank you for your service:

Semper Fi, '91-'95

Ray Burton

ohdag19

imported post

Hey guys, thanks for the advice.

Ray where do you shoot? I am scheduled to take the CCW course at calibers in Gboro on the 14th of Feb. When I have a better schedule I will see about when we could go shoot.

What do you carry btw? The guy at calibers said the XDM's weren't holding up too well. Said they had a guy come in last week and didnt even get 50 rounds down range before it jammed up.

Thanks again for the advice,

Jas

RayBurton72

imported post

I shoot some at Calibers, but I mostly shoow various IDPA matches. For $15 (plus ammo), it is a really fun way to spend a day at the range.

I carryaKimber Stainless Ultra Carry II (3" 45 ACP 1911 design).

In IDPA I usually shoot a Kimber Stainless TLE II (5" 1911).

Carl is a great guy, took my CHP class through him.