Thread: which is better?

Post imported post

i have a 1911 mil spec but iv been considering a sig p220. im not sure if i want to sell my 1911 just because i KNOW it will fire in any situation. how does the p220 compare in reliability, accuracy, and all around performance?

Post imported post

Your trying to compare a 1911 Styleto a Non-1911 Style ?

I'd stick with the 1911 MilSpecall day before I chose aSIG.

Which 220 are you talking about Compact, Carry, Combat ?

Post imported post

the carry. whats your opinion, why would you choose the 1911 over a sig? thats all im lookin for is opinions really

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Shampoo is better. I go on first and clean the hair. Conditioner is better. I leave the hair silky and smooth. Oh, really, fool? Really.

Stop looking at me, swan!

Sorry.

Post imported post

I would carry whichever one you are most familiar with in terms of drawing from your holster and ability to center-punch targets.

(This assumes the Sig is also a .45 ACP.)

Post imported post

The 220 is well respected and will serve you well, but if you're transitioning from a 1911-style to it, you may want to consider trying some SIGs first.

The only real benefit of the P220 over a 1911 is you can carry with a round in the chamber and hammer down on the SIG; first shot double action, after that all single action. There's also no safeties on the base model, only a decocker lever. The SAO model has a manual thumb safety instead of a decocker lever, but it's also single action only.

The 1911 will definitely be more accurate than the P220. Reliability, performance, etc. are going to be the same, although the P220 will be less picky about what you feed it as opposed to most 1911s.

Post imported post

I love the P220 and carried one for a long time, now I carry its smaller cousin the P225. I found the P220 easy to carry concealed, easy to use, easy to clean, reliable, dependable, ergonomic, and accurate as a mother, found mine to be as accurate if not more accurate than my 1911PD. I would bet my life on one any day.

Post imported post

My newest pistol is a P220 Carry SAO with Siglites. What a great gun! I've had 5 or 6 different 1911's over the years, and prefer to carry either a cocked and locked single action auto, or a striker-fired DAO auto (think Glock or Kahr). This time I wanted something as dead-reliable as my Glocks/Kahrs (I've had issues with a couple of Kimbers along the way) and carryable in the cocked and locked mode. I've found it! My wife and I put a few hundred rounds through it on Saturday, and I must say that it is accurate, reliable and rugged. I'm very happy with my purchase! If you like the 1911 operating system and want something a little different, give the P220 SAO a try.

Post imported post

I don't think you could go wrong with either of them. Choose the one that fits YOU better, not what the forum likes

On a side note, I've got a 30yr old SIG P6 that still goes bang and I bet there are 60/70yr old 1911s that people are still shooting.

Post imported post

Many 1911 are finicky and you will need a gunsmith to work out kinks. They will shoot, but need some smoothing out you could say. Sig's on the other hand are proven to be rocking guns. They run great right out of the box, as a gun should. Go with the Sig, you'll be very happy you did.

I would recommend not getting what fits you better but getting the better gun. You can learn to shoot a gun that's not ideal to your hand, but a gun can't learn to be more reliable.

Post imported post

so hows this work here, some sigs are DA some are SA and some are both? and i see some dont have the rail system which i assume are the base models. which model is the SA/DA with a 4.5 inch barrel and a rail? iv never been so confused with a pistol before

Post imported post

r6-rider wrote:
    so hows this work here, some sigs are DA some are SA and some are both? and i see some dont have the rail system which i assume are the base models. which model is the SA/DA with a 4.5 inch barrel and a rail? iv never been so confused with a pistol before
    Sig no longer makes the P220 without a rail. There are many quality used P220's out there that do not have the rail, if you're interested. But anyways, the model you inquire about is the standard P220R (for rail), it has a 4.4" bbl, and is DA/SA with decocker. Any P220 with the word "MATCH" in the model description is a 5" bbl with long slide to match, and the "Carry" models have a 3.9" bbl with slide to match. Just FYI. Oh, and if you think Sigs are confusing with model numbers, you should take a look at the labrynth that is the 3rd Gen Smith Autos....

Post imported post

oh alright thanks for the info guys, ill start looking for one right now. what are these guns usually going for these days? new or used

Post imported post

bordsnbikes wrote:
    I would recommend not getting what fits you better but getting the better gun. You can learn to shoot a gun that's not ideal to your hand, but a gun can't learn to be more reliable.
    With all the reliable designs out there I don't think that's much of an issue anymore.Finding a reliable gun that also fits your handisn't all that difficult with a little time, effort, and experience.

I'd go with theSig too but since I really don't care for the 1911 it's an easy call for me.

Post imported post

Apples and Oranges

Sigvs 1911

Two different styles of guns.

Do you like the 1911 style of pistol or do you like the SIG style of pistol ?

Post imported post

i like them both. i love my 1911 dont get me wrong, but i figured the sig might be a little lighter, it might be nice to have a little shorter barrel, but most of all i like the SA/DA option

Post imported post

smash29 wrote:
    bordsnbikes wrote:
    With all the reliable designs out there I don't think that's much of an issue anymore.¬*¬*Finding a reliable gun that also fits your hand¬*isn't all that difficult with a little time, effort, and experience.

I'd go with the¬*Sig too but since I really don't care for the 1911 it's an easy call for me.
    There are a lot of guns that seem to be reliable out there. Shooting them on the range doesn't tell you that. You really need to run the crap out of them. Take them to a handgun class that really puts you and your gun through the paces. A lot of high dollar guns don't make it through those ie 1911's. There are very few guns I trust my life to. Glock and Sig is it for me.

Post imported post

bordsnbikes wrote:
    There are very few guns I trust my life to. Glock and Sig is it for me.
    I only meant to say that even when narrowed down to a specific manufacturer (or two) you'll still probably haveseveral options when looking for a good fit.Assuming you decided to stick with a Sig you would still have a choice of anything fromthe P220 tothe P232 (as well as the 1911 platform) so settling for a less than optimal fit wouldn't likely be necessary.

Post imported post

Ah gotcha.

Post imported post

r6-rider wrote:
    i like them both. i love my 1911 dont get me wrong, but i figured the sig might be a little lighter, it might be nice to have a little shorter barrel, but most of all i like the SA/DA option
    Now your making progress.

You'd prefer a shorter barrel, maybe a little more compact, SA/DA action, and to possibly hold more rounds.

Sounds like you on the way to wanting the SIG more so than the 1911.

Post imported post

If you like 1911s but maybe want more reliability or greater capacity, and/or a rail take a look at the XD45. My XD has been more reliable than my Kimber (It was used, so I've yet to replace the springs, and I just recently bought some new mags to see if it'll fix the occasional feed issue). XD has the same grip angle and feel/thickness of a 1911, but has higher capacity. I have the Compact version and with the shorter mag it is 10+1 and then I carry a 13 round mag as well. With the 10rd mag it's easier to conceal and the 13rd brings it to the "full size" feel. They can be had with a 4" or 5" barrel. Just something else to think about.

Post imported post

Another point to consider is the Para Ordinance LDA Compact. Its got a lighter double action, its 1911 which you say you were liking, and its smaller and compact, and it's still a .45

Or even one of SIG's GSR Revolutions in the Carry or Compact Format.

Post imported post

well i found someone to do a straight trade, their p220 for my mil spec. whos getting the better deal here? both are equal on wear and tear, 220 has a few more rounds down it though (around 500)