• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

which is better?

r6-rider

imported post

i have a 1911 mil spec but iv been considering a sig p220. im not sure if i want to sell my 1911 just because i KNOW it will fire in any situation. how does the p220 compare in reliability, accuracy, and all around performance?

Dustin

imported post

Your trying to compare a 1911 Styleto a Non-1911 Style ?

I'd stick with the 1911 MilSpecall day before I chose aSIG.

Which 220 are you talking about Compact, Carry, Combat ?

r6-rider

imported post

the carry. whats your opinion, why would you choose the 1911 over a sig? thats all im lookin for is opinions really

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Shampoo is better. I go on first and clean the hair. Conditioner is better. I leave the hair silky and smooth. Oh, really, fool? Really.

Stop looking at me, swan!

Sorry. :)

shad0wfax

imported post

I would carry whichever one you are most familiar with in terms of drawing from your holster and ability to center-punch targets.

(This assumes the Sig is also a .45 ACP.)

Walleye

imported post

The 220 is well respected and will serve you well, but if you're transitioning from a 1911-style to it, you may want to consider trying some SIGs first.

The only real benefit of the P220 over a 1911 is you can carry with a round in the chamber and hammer down on the SIG; first shot double action, after that all single action. There's also no safeties on the base model, only a decocker lever. The SAO model has a manual thumb safety instead of a decocker lever, but it's also single action only.

The 1911 will definitely be more accurate than the P220. Reliability, performance, etc. are going to be the same, although the P220 will be less picky about what you feed it as opposed to most 1911s.

Spectre

imported post

I love the P220 and carried one for a long time, now I carry its smaller cousin the P225. I found the P220 easy to carry concealed, easy to use, easy to clean, reliable, dependable, ergonomic, and accurate as a mother, found mine to be as accurate if not more accurate than my 1911PD. I would bet my life on one any day.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

My newest pistol is a P220 Carry SAO with Siglites. What a great gun! I've had 5 or 6 different 1911's over the years, and prefer to carry either a cocked and locked single action auto, or a striker-fired DAO auto (think Glock or Kahr). This time I wanted something as dead-reliable as my Glocks/Kahrs (I've had issues with a couple of Kimbers along the way) and carryable in the cocked and locked mode. I've found it! My wife and I put a few hundred rounds through it on Saturday, and I must say that it is accurate, reliable and rugged. I'm very happy with my purchase! If you like the 1911 operating system and want something a little different, give the P220 SAO a try.

eyesopened

imported post

I don't think you could go wrong with either of them. Choose the one that fits YOU better, not what the forum likes ;)

On a side note, I've got a 30yr old SIG P6 that still goes bang and I bet there are 60/70yr old 1911s that people are still shooting.

bordsnbikes

imported post

Many 1911 are finicky and you will need a gunsmith to work out kinks. They will shoot, but need some smoothing out you could say. Sig's on the other hand are proven to be rocking guns. They run great right out of the box, as a gun should. Go with the Sig, you'll be very happy you did.

I would recommend not getting what fits you better but getting the better gun. You can learn to shoot a gun that's not ideal to your hand, but a gun can't learn to be more reliable.

r6-rider

imported post

so hows this work here, some sigs are DA some are SA and some are both? and i see some dont have the rail system which i assume are the base models. which model is the SA/DA with a 4.5 inch barrel and a rail? iv never been so confused with a pistol before

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

r6-rider wrote:
so hows this work here, some sigs are DA some are SA and some are both? and i see some dont have the rail system which i assume are the base models. which model is the SA/DA with a 4.5 inch barrel and a rail? iv never been so confused with a pistol before
Sig no longer makes the P220 without a rail. There are many quality used P220's out there that do not have the rail, if you're interested. But anyways, the model you inquire about is the standard P220R (for rail), it has a 4.4" bbl, and is DA/SA with decocker. Any P220 with the word "MATCH" in the model description is a 5" bbl with long slide to match, and the "Carry" models have a 3.9" bbl with slide to match. Just FYI. Oh, and if you think Sigs are confusing with model numbers, you should take a look at the labrynth that is the 3rd Gen Smith Autos....

r6-rider

imported post

oh alright thanks for the info guys, ill start looking for one right now. what are these guns usually going for these days? new or used

smash29

imported post

bordsnbikes wrote:
I would recommend not getting what fits you better but getting the better gun. You can learn to shoot a gun that's not ideal to your hand, but a gun can't learn to be more reliable.

With all the reliable designs out there I don't think that's much of an issue anymore.Finding a reliable gun that also fits your handisn't all that difficult with a little time, effort, and experience.

I'd go with theSig too but since I really don't care for the 1911 it's an easy call for me.

r6-rider

imported post

i like them both. i love my 1911 dont get me wrong, but i figured the sig might be a little lighter, it might be nice to have a little shorter barrel, but most of all i like the SA/DA option

bordsnbikes

imported post

smash29 wrote:
bordsnbikes wrote:

With all the reliable designs out there I don't think that's much of an issue anymore.  Finding a reliable gun that also fits your hand isn't all that difficult with a little time, effort, and experience.

I'd go with the Sig too but since I really don't care for the 1911 it's an easy call for me.

There are a lot of guns that seem to be reliable out there. Shooting them on the range doesn't tell you that. You really need to run the crap out of them. Take them to a handgun class that really puts you and your gun through the paces. A lot of high dollar guns don't make it through those ie 1911's. There are very few guns I trust my life to. Glock and Sig is it for me.

smash29

imported post

bordsnbikes wrote:
There are very few guns I trust my life to. Glock and Sig is it for me.

I only meant to say that even when narrowed down to a specific manufacturer (or two) you'll still probably haveseveral options when looking for a good fit.Assuming you decided to stick with a Sig you would still have a choice of anything fromthe P220 tothe P232 (as well as the 1911 platform) so settling for a less than optimal fit wouldn't likely be necessary.

Dustin

imported post

r6-rider wrote:
i like them both. i love my 1911 dont get me wrong, but i figured the sig might be a little lighter, it might be nice to have a little shorter barrel, but most of all i like the SA/DA option

Now your making progress.

You'd prefer a shorter barrel, maybe a little more compact, SA/DA action, and to possibly hold more rounds.

Sounds like you on the way to wanting the SIG more so than the 1911.