• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

free advertising?

steve

imported post

I live on Dort HWY. in Mt.Morris

i have a big sign out front that can be painted to say whatever we want it to say.The Problem is i have no paint or money to get paint but if anyone has any old paint laying around and want to paint a big ocdo sign on it for a while then feel free...

We get a bit of traffic up and down here it's notthe best area in the world but if it gets the word to one More person then mission accomplished

just a thought anyways

lemme know

steve

imported post

It isanything goes long as it is proper for OCDO and the good fight...

the sign also has light's so it will be visible at night (well with a little work, i can handle that part)

i dont have an exact size for it but it is pretty good size either way can't beat the price :celebrate

steve

imported post

they all look good to me

i got to be honest tho i am no artist, so if anybody is good with paint i will leave the option up to them

well i hope this helps us out a bit

Taurus850CIA

imported post

Be sure to check your local ordinances for signage. When I wanted to advertise my business in my yard in Pinckney, the ordinance said simply that the business must be licensed. My builders license qualified me to advertise with a sign. Some places place restrictions on size, lighting, etc. CYA, before you put this up, so as to avoid tickets/fines.

steve

imported post

it's already up, the place we bought was a kennel at one point so the sign is already there

and seeing how i'm not advertising a "buisness" but our rights i dont see the problem.

dont worry about any problems i will have them taken care of if any come up

Hcidem

imported post

Do you have any idea what size the board is dimensionally? Does it have a plywood base?

If it is a fairly small board, a sign might be prepared in the dry, and then mounted to the board in one piece. Do you think this is possible?

steve

imported post

roughly12ft wide by 6ft tall. it is plywood backing so somethign could bemade and then screwed on

i don't have a tape here to measure it to perfection

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

If we could raise the money a vinyl banner could be made and put up. Depending on the dimensions of the sign a simple banner could be made for around $100. If we decide to go that way I would be happy to design something with the groups input.

Hcidem

imported post

I would expect any time spent designing, traveling, and installing would be considered to be an "in kind" contribution equatable to cash. As for me, I'm cross-state, but feel its time to pony up some dough.

I like the placement in the Flint area (even though I am near Grand Rapids). I get the feeling from the board that Flint represents fertile ground for MOC.

Before we decide the actual signage we should use, we might want to decides whether paint or vinyl would be most appropriate to this particular sign's location. Do we have anyone who could give a second opinion on the benefits of this particular sign's location?

This is not to place any doubt on steve's opinion. It would just be good to ensure our limited funds are placed where they have the most impact.

Also, I am unfamiliar with theoutdoor lifespan of a vinyl banner. Can you clue us in on this, Venator?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Hcidem wrote:
I would expect any time spent designing, traveling, and installing would be considered to be an "in kind" contribution equatable to cash. As for me, I'm cross-state, but feel its time to pony up some dough.

I like the placement in the Flint area (even though I am near Grand Rapids). I get the feeling from the board that Flint represents fertile ground for MOC.

Before we decide the actual signage we should use, we might want to decides whether paint or vinyl would be most appropriate to this particular sign's location. Do we have anyone who could give a second opinion on the benefits of this particular sign's location?

This is not to place any doubt on steve's opinion. It would just be good to ensure our limited funds are placed where they have the most impact.

Also, I am unfamiliar with theoutdoor lifespan of a vinyl banner. Can you clue us in on this, Venator?Vinyl signs would most likely last a year or so depending on the weather. A painted sign would last longer but would also fade over time.
The greatest cost of having a sign or billboard is the monthly fee which can be several hundred dollars a month depending on location. In this case we would not have that cost, so our only cost would be the initial materials.

Ourbiggest problemwith any MOC project is getting people to give hard earned money for our causes. My experience is that aselect feware doing all the work and donating their time and money for MOC projects. Doug has not recouped all of his $200 outlay for the three banners yet.

So, my thought is that with a vinyl banner we could get a year out of it and paint over it with acrylic paint as needed to refresh the sign. It's easier to paint over the letters and designs than to start from scratch. We could also take down the sign and use it for other events so it's more versatile.

To hand paint it will take more time and effort than just coughing up the money and ordering the sign. vinyl isthe easier way to go.

As for the location I say go for it. It's being offered for no money and it is on a busy roadway in the Flint area.

DanM

imported post

Venator wrote:
Doug has not recouped all of his $200 outlay for the three banners yet.
Speaking of which, I recently was looking around here for a paypal link or something to give Doug a few bucks. Can anyonehelp with that? How much does he have left out of pocket that hasn't been covered by the donations so far?

steve

imported post

i plan on making another sign to put out front for my pc work and other things i do

so it will be available for id say minimum 6 months to a year

also i have no objections to making a painted sign if someone has the paint i mean i'm not great with paint but if it saves us all some cash then i'm for it

nick7871

imported post

A very close friend of mine owns and operates his sighn company in oakland county so if you get some qoutes pm me and I sure I could get us a better deal and donate as well...

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U
imported post

The vinyl will hold up just fine in the weather. It is frequently used on signs, vehicles and the like. My company just bought a new location and our outdoor signs are all vinyl.

I would be happy to throw $5 on it when I send my money for the challenge coin Venator.