• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

free advertising?

PilotPTK

MOC Charter Member - Shelby Township, Michigan, US
imported post

I think that in order to know what the effectiveness of this sign will be, we need more information.

A) How far is it from the road?

B) At what angle to the road is it?

Without these critical pieces of information, We have no idea weather the average driver will even be able to read it. While those letters look huge in the sample provided, they may be tiny at 100? 300? Feet from the highway.

To be readibly legible to MOST people, text needs to take up about .3 degrees OR MORE of the circle that has it's center at their eye. This is equal to 2 *TAN(.3/2) * DISTANCE = 2 * TAN(.15) * DISTANCE

Or, Roughly 1/191 of the Distance.. If the sign is 150 feet off of the road, the charachters would need to be about .8 FEET Tall to be Legible. Keep in mind, this is LEGIBLE, not STAND-OUT-ISH, Just legible. Double that size, 1.6 feet, and they begin to appear "Big and Bold" to most people.

The donation of the sign location is wonderful, and the donation of time to create the sign, equally great. I just want to make sure that the hard work doesn't go to waste.

Once this is all decided, I've got a few bucks toward the effort as well.

Ben

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

We really need comments on this project. Do we want to raise money for this sign. If so we need comments on the sign design. Which side of the sign do we want it to face? Do we get two signs one for each side? You input is needed.

I think this is a good opportunity. And when the member wants to use hissign board for his own business, we will have the vinyl sign(s) to use in other ways. What say all you?

SQLtables

imported post

I say this is a great opportunity. I think we should get signs for both sides to maximize exposure. The only problem is raising the money. We need to get people to actually GIVE what they can... I do my best, but Christy is expensive.. unfortunately, I guess that won't be an issue anymore...

How much are vinyl signs that size, does anybody know?

steve

imported post

I don't know how many of you looked at the link i posted, but the sign is only visible when heading north. Unfortunately i can't cut the tree's down because the bar next door owns them (but maybe i will do a little trimming this spring ;)..

If money is the problem, and believe me i know about money problems then i say we just paint something up there until we can afford the vinyl.

Just a thought

steve

imported post

Just stopped in and talked to a local sign guy. Not a big corporate office, he does some good work for decent prices.

i redirected him here to see the proposed image and i will call him ina little while to see what he says.

i have a question too, were we talking of a vinyl banner in the above posts?

this guy also does signs on other materials maybe if he has one cheap enough i can talk him into a trade seeing how he runs a pawn shop too and i have a few nice things laying around.just for a temporary fix

SQLtables

imported post

I think if we get a quote that is too hih, e shuld g forward with paint. I will throw I some money, and time to help out. I'm good at putting pint on things. I am bad at making those things look good, but I'll help where I can. I'm not too far from Mt Morris.

SQLtables

imported post

I think if we get a quote that is too hih, e shuld g forward with paint. I will throw in some money, and time to help out. I'm good at putting paint on things. I am bad at making those things look good, but I'll help where I can. I'm not too far from Mt Morris.