• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting on own property?

RobR369

imported post

I was wondering ifits legalto shoot on your own property? We have a house on 2.5 acres of land in Rapid City, Mi. . If i was to build around a 10 foot tall berm which is backed by deep woods,would I be able to shoot my pistols or would I be hassled by the local county or state police?

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

RobR369 wrote:
I was  wondering if its legal to shoot on your own property? We have a house on 2.5 acres of land in Rapid City, Mi. . If i was to build around a 10 foot tall berm which is backed by deep woods,would I be able to shoot my pistols or would I be hassled by the local county or state police?

Hi Rob,

I can't speak to the legality, but I do know for a fact that where my family lives, (outside Kalamazoo, MI), I have neighbors that shoot their rifles and shotguns in anticipation of deer hunting season almost every year.

I don't believe there are any laws against shooting on private property, or any licensing which would explicitly allow it.

Edit: If you do live in MI, why do you indicate that you live in Illinois? Just wondering.

custom.45acp

imported post

I see that your location is Illinois. I would be more concerned of the legalities of bringing a handgun across the state line, that is,unless they're (the handguns) registered in Michigan.

Custom.45acp

RobR369

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
RobR369 wrote:
I was wondering ifits legalto shoot on your own property? We have a house on 2.5 acres of land in Rapid City, Mi. . If i was to build around a 10 foot tall berm which is backed by deep woods,would I be able to shoot my pistols or would I be hassled by the local county or state police?
Hi Rob,

I can't speak to the legality, but I do know for a fact that where my family lives, (outside Kalamazoo, MI), I have neighbors that shoot their rifles and shotguns in anticipation of deer hunting season almost every year.

I don't believe there are any laws against shooting on private property, or any licensing which would explicitly allow it.

Edit: If you do live in MI, why do you indicate that you live in Illinois? Just wondering.
I do live in Illinois, but have a second home in Mi. near Torch lake. No, the guns arent registered in Mi, they would be transported legally.

conservative85

imported post

He said he has a house in Mich, never said lives. I believe if the pistol is in the trunk in a case designed to hold a firearm (As Mich Law States) then it is legal to bring in the state.

As far as shooting It depends on the city limits(I believe you cannot fire a gun in the city limits,, I live in a twp. and it is legal. or how close occupied dwellings are to your shooting area..

I use the hunting rule of 500 feet from occupied dwelling just as a gauge.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

conservative85 wrote:
As far as shooting It depends on the city limits(I believe you cannot fire a gun in the city limits,, I live in a twp. and it is legal. or how close occupied dwellings are to your shooting area..

Curious... I'm not sure you know the answer, but wouldn't state preemption trump any "city limits" rules? Or is this a clause in state law?

conservative85

imported post

the preemption I'm sure is owning, carrying etc, but I don,t believe in firing a gun in a city. I could be wrong, but I don't know if i'd fire a gun in the city of flint. That would be dangerous.

conservative85

imported post

I thought it would be a stretch to get away with firing a gun in cities, and I know certain twps u have to be aware of the ord.

Hcidem

imported post

Regarding the possession of pistols, the legislature submitted a bill to the governor for her signature in the waning days of 2008. It amends certain sections of the law which address who may legally possess a pistol in Michigan, including the addition of a definition for Michigan residents. Please note that it has not yet become law, but might be considered in regard to your question:

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?2008-HB-5969

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

And it still appears that non-residents still can't carry in Michigan w/out a license to carry concealed from their home state. Since the FOID card does not qualify, and Illinois does not license concealed carry, you are probably out of luck. As a consolation, you may be able to travel with it through Michigan in your trunk under Federal transport law. However, you need to be able to legally possess it where you are and where you are traveling to, so even this MAY be questionable if you actually wanted to carry it while in MI.

See
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum61/196.html

Hcidem

imported post

A bill had been submitted during the last legislative session to improve the carry rights of out-of-state visitors. It died in committee on New Year's eve, and is probably one of the least likely initiatives submitted. I would not expect improvements in the near future.

As DrToddindicated, the legality of an out-of-state visitor transporting pistols to a Michigan location is highly questionable. The transportation statutes seem to provide for passing through Michigan (as though one would enter the lower penninsula and exit the upper penninsula in the case of Michigan).

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

I watched HB5969 and was surprised it didn't get any further than it did. I thought that with all of the handgun hunters out there, the potential for increased revenue by allowing out-of-state hunters to use a pistol would have assured passage. I think if the monetary issue can be highlighted, it might have a chance of passing.

Hcidem

imported post

I would be strongly in favor of it. I have doubts about the portion which allowed non-residents to carry if their state did not require a license to do so (I think I read this correctly). I don't think this would have gotten past LEO lobbyists.

It would have created an informational nightmare for the police to determine what state's currently require licensure and which do not. If passed, it certainly would have provided a strong case for Michigan to let up on its own resident's restrictions.

M16a2

Farmington,Port Huron,Waterford MICHIGAN, , USA
imported post

I have seen signs posted about "no firearms legal to be fired over .22 in city limits"

And I know in that city for hunting. It says 150yrd away from ANY building,people,or farm area.

And I have had bad times with PD in Farmington Hills for a "shots fired call" that they showed up at my house.

Mind you I have 5acres 4 lots. All deep wood. But I was in the basement with a .223 and a 45.

Just told cops I don't know what he was talking about. And then he asked can I come in I said no you can't good bye.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

RobR369 wrote:

If the area you live/shoot in has firearm discharge ordinance you can't shoot a firearm. If there is no ordinance on discharging a firearm you are allowed to target practice on your own property or for that matter some state property. The safety zone (450 feet from an occupied dwelling) does not apply to target shooting only hunting.

If you are bringing a handgun to Michigan beware of this.

email from MSP:

Mr. Jeffs,

Michigan law requires that a person obtain a License to Purchase a pistol (MCL 28.422) before possessing a pistol in this state. Once a person buys a pistol with a License to Purchase, it must be safety inspected (MCL 28.429). Only residents of Michigan are eligible for licenses and safety inspections. Because a non-resident cannot satisfy those requirements they cannot lawfully possess a pistol here (for any purpose).

Exceptions to those requirements are found in MCL 28.432. One of those exceptions is for persons licensed by their state of residence to carry a concealed pistol.

Sincerely, Sgt. Thomas Deasy Michigan State Police Executive Resource Section 714 S. Harrison Rd. East Lansing, MI 48823 (517) 336-6441

custom.45acp

imported post

I heard (hearsay) that there was a hefty fine associated with bringing the REGISTRATION SLIP late, anyone know the amount or/and if there are any other consequences?