• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FIRE MISSION - VA - Crime Commission and Gun Show private sales

W.E.G.

imported post

FIRE MISSION - VA - Crime Commission and Gun Show private sales

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 9:38 PM
Subject: VA-ALERT: Crime Commission meeting on Tuesday

The Virginia Crime Commission is going to meet on Tueday, January
13th, to vote on whether to recommend a bill on gun shows this
legislative session. The Commission is not going to take testimony,
they are just going to vote. They will probably discuss the issue
some more before they vote.

I plan on being there to watch the vote. Any of you that want to come
and wear a "Gun Save Lives" sticker to show support, I will have
plenty with me.

Here is the agenda:

VIRGINIA STATE CRIME COMMISSION
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
General Assembly Building
Senate Room B, 10:00 A.M.

AGENDA

I. CALL TO ORDER / APPROVAL OF DECEMBER 9, 2008 MINUTES
Delegate David B. Albo, Chairman

III. 2009 LEGISLATION
Legislation Requested for Drafting and Requiring a Vote:

• Private Sales of Firearms at Gun Shows

VIII. ADJOURNMENT
Note: There will be no public comment.

ACTION ITEM

We need to flood the Commission's inbox with polite, but firm, emails
urging them to leave private sales at gun shows, or anywhere else,
alone.

Email address:

vsccinfo@vscc.virginia.gov

Suggested subject:

Please do NOT restrict private sales of firearms!

Suggested message:

Dear Crime Commission members,

Please do NOT restrict private sales of firearms at gun shows or anywhere else! The bill being considered is just a scheme to register guns sold from private sellers. It will bring unnecessary and pointless hardship on both gun shows and the law-abiding citizens attending those shows.

Few guns used in crime come from gun shows and there is no need to change current law.

Sincerely,
[YOUR NAME]
[YOUR ADDRESS]

-------------------------------------------
VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
(VCDL). VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization
dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to
Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Did that.

Will be in Norfolk for dan Moore's trial but will be very interested in the outcome.

Yata hey

Repeater

imported post

Tech Survivors will stage 'Lie-In'

After the conclusion of the Virginia State Crime Commission hearing on Tuesday, January 13, family members and friends of some of the shooting victims at Virginia Tech in April 2007 will demonstrate with a "Lie-In" and urge the Virginia Legislature to pass legislation closing the gun show loophole which allows people prohibited from purchasing firearms to bypass Brady background checks.

The demonstration, where concerned citizens dress in black and lie down to illustrate the costs of gun violence, is being organized by Courtney Edwards of Longwood University in Farmville. She is organizing a busload of Longwood students to come to Richmond for the hearing and demonstration.

"We are urging the Commission to recommend that the legislature pass sensible gun laws to make sure that dangerous people can't purchase firearms illegally," Edwards said.

Tricia White, whose daughter Nicole was murdered at Virginia Tech, said the families of some of the victims intend to "make it clear that we deeply care about our representatives taking action in the Legislature to close the gun show loophole, and we're not going away until the state takes real action."

Code:
WHAT: "Lie-In" Demonstration
Urging Virginia Close the Gun Show Loophole

WHERE: Virginia State Capitol Lawn - Bell Tower
WHEN: January 13, after the Virginia State Crime Commission completes its hearing, which starts at 10 AM.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

No public comment in the commission hearing.

If the are planning on doing their bell tower thing, I think it would be grand if no one appeared to watch. Sort of like throwing a party and no guests showing up.:D

I encourage those of you that are not going to Dan's trail in Norfolk to nevertheless attend and pack the committee room w/Guns Save Lives stickers.

Yata hey

P.S. - Notice that they are still saying "lie-in"
Lie = to tell an untruth!

hsmith

imported post

Repeater wrote:
Tech Survivors will stage 'Lie-In'

After the conclusion of the Virginia State Crime Commission hearing on Tuesday, January 13, family members and friends of some of the shooting victims at Virginia Tech in April 2007 will demonstrate with a "Lie-In" and urge the Virginia Legislature to pass legislation closing the gun show loophole which allows people prohibited from purchasing firearms to bypass Brady background checks.

The demonstration, where concerned citizens dress in black and lie down to illustrate the costs of gun violence, is being organized by Courtney Edwards of Longwood University in Farmville. She is organizing a busload of Longwood students to come to Richmond for the hearing and demonstration.

"We are urging the Commission to recommend that the legislature pass sensible gun laws to make sure that dangerous people can't purchase firearms illegally," Edwards said.

Tricia White, whose daughter Nicole was murdered at Virginia Tech, said the families of some of the victims intend to "make it clear that we deeply care about our representatives taking action in the Legislature to close the gun show loophole, and we're not going away until the state takes real action."

Code:
WHAT: "Lie-In" Demonstration
Urging Virginia Close the Gun Show Loophole

WHERE: Virginia State Capitol Lawn - Bell Tower
WHEN: January 13, after the Virginia State Crime Commission completes its hearing, which starts at 10 AM.
These people are tools. The "gun show loophole" has nothing to do with what happened on April 16th.

They are being exploited. Sorry about your daughter Mrs. White, but you are being used.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

hsmith wrote:
snip.......
The "gun show loophole" has nothing to do with what happened on April 16th.

They are being exploited. Sorry about your daughter Mrs. White, but you are being used.
Or she is allowing it to be used for her own, uniformed agenda which would be even more sad.

Yata hey

hsmith

imported post

useful_idiot wrote:
I was feeling anxious so I sent an individual email to each Crime Commission member.

Hand written letters start this week!!

:cool:
The Crime Commission "Suggestion Box"

rdin639l.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

That is funny but in reality I think they do pay attention to the facts - at least I hope so.

Yata hey

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

The vice chair of the crime commision (Ken Stolle) was in VA Beach this last Saturday at the VA Beach GOP Breakfast. I posted a thread about it and got 0 response. This would have been a good chance for a face to face with him but I guess some people don't feel as strong about there gun rights as they say they do on the internet.