• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MI Safety Inspection is History Starting Today!

WARCHILD

imported post

Good riddance... now let's see what else we can eliminate.
Sorry to disagree with you Dr.Todd, but this has only eliminated another one of our rights. We have went from a "masked" registration, called a safety inspection, to a mandatory "REGISTRATION". Like I had posted before on this subject, they accomplished this by making it easier to "register" your gun by mail from your living room. Given our lazy human nature they accomplished what they were not able to do for years. This is by no means a win in any fashion, merely a win of convenience. As for what else we can eliminate, wait and see, there is much more in the works.

Hcidem

imported post

I definitely agree with the good riddance sentiment. I purchased my first pistol last year, and was incredulous when I saw the so-called inspection. I am always against bad law.

Unfortunately, it seems to be a precondition of holding office that lawmaker's make bad laws worse. The first thing I noticed when the inspection was repealed was that a 3-part form was replaced with a 4-part form. That was definitely a bad sign.

Our state addressed its basically illegal registration scheme by legalizing it! At times like these with our state budgetary woes, I would like to say that I was surprised that they didn't save some expenses by just ditching the process altogether. I was not surprised because I am too familiar with the machinations of bureaucracies.

Bah!!!

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Warchild,

I hate to disagree, but, besides not having to bring the pistol in for inspection, I see the change as important because the powers that be can't hide behind a supposed "safety inspection", rather it is upfront in what it always was: pistol registration. "Safety" had nothing to do with it.

WARCHILD

imported post

Dr. Todd: In a way you support my argument. It's ok with you now because it is no longer "hidden" as a safety inspection and no more needless trips to the PD for inspections. They have merely made something illegal....legal.... and more availability for tracking and control of our rights to own a handgun. If you are satisfied with it being called what it is, that's your right and I support your right to think so, but I strongly feel you are looking at it in the wrong way. See it for what it is, not what they want you to believe it is.

joshuaeberly

imported post

let's call it what it is, bull. I am happy that they are not being "honest" about it. however, I think that registration serves no purpose other than as a precursor to confiscation. I have yet to see one study or statistic which shows that registration solves or prevents crime, its only purpose is to make the lives of law-abiding citizens more difficult. all this bill did is save a trip to the PD, and increase the paperwork load of the MSP, costing US more money.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Warchild,

Yes, I DO think that registration is unnecessary, attempts to control activities that really aren't any business of the authorities, and can lead to confiscation, so it does seem we do agree there. Yes, I am very disappointed that the law that was passed is VERY weakened and has little semblance to what was originally proposed. YES, I strongly oppose registration of any sort. But...,

Perhaps I missed something... where is it written that registration is "illegal"? Is this your opinion or is it listed somewhere? (US Constitution, Federal Code, or Michigan Criminal Law)

I don't mean to be confrontational and understand I am dealing with strong-felt beliefs, but stating that something is "illegal" needs to be supported by citing from where this information comes. Your opinion is valuable, but unless I know it is your opinion or conversely, the opinion of some other source, I would like to know which it is.

Also, I think you missed my point in my post so let me put it another way. We had registration before and we have it now; there has been a change in name and a very minor procedural issue. I think you may agree.

You have said: "See it for what it is, not what they want you to believe it is. " Please tell me how calling it "registration" is worse than calling it a "safety inspection" and, by using the terminology of "safety inspection", have a large number of citizens believe that the "all-knowing and wonderful" authorities are really just helping protect us "poor" and "uneducated" handgun owners from "dangerous" or "damaged" firearms. Or, better yet, that the Basic Pistol Safety Questionnaire (for those w/out CPL and still part of law) is a powerful instrument designed to determine who doesn't have the ability to properly possess their pistol.

In all of the pistols that were safety inspected, how many failed? What percentage of individuals fail the Basic Pistol Safety Questionnaire the first time? The second time? Pointless "hoops" that masquerade as valuable forensic tools, and are actively promoted as such by people who (IMHO) should know better, can NEVER be tolerated.

If you believe that I am being facetious, within the last 10 years I have not had less than 6 different PO's tell me that the safety inspections are to "make sure my firearm is safe", and that "we don't have pistol registration in MI."

(Start-Humerous digression)
This even from one clerk who, upon seeing my "pengun" I purchased from Stinger Mfg, said "what the #$%@ is this" looked for the serial number for approx. 10 minutes, asked an officer to help her and was told "What, that's a gun?" and proceeded to look down the barrel, wondered aloud if it was legal, and who finally asked me to come around the Plexiglas and fill out my own serial number and show both of them how it worked. See here for info: http://pengun.com/
(End- Humerous Digression)

So you see, I prefer them to call it what it is (registration), stop this "safety Inspection" BS.

I am also hopeful that when people, especially those who don't own handguns and therefore have no first hand experience, realize that Michigan does register handguns and may just as easily decide to register long guns, bows, pocket knives, scissors, sharpened pencils, etc. (OK going a little too far, I know...) then we may be able to get public sentiment on our side. IMHO, a "safety inspection" seems much easier to justify with the general population than saying that Michigan demands every handgun purchased in the state to be registered and cross-referenced with the name of the owner, serial number, and description of the pistol.

WARCHILD

imported post

Dr Todd: Ok, we are both in agreement, just viewed from different aspects. I don't consider a good discussion of views as confrontational. I will have to research (which means call Venator) the legal aspect of gun registration. I don't recall for sure, so I may be wrong....wouldn't be the first time. I do agree with the perception of the safety inspection you mentioned. The premise of finding "un-safe" guns. I have
bought/registered/sold hundreds of handguns in Mi. over the last 30+ years and NONE have been "safety inspected". As you pointed out, most "inspectors" don't even know how to operate/inspect the gun they are looking at to begin with. The only way this would have even made sense, is if from day one the requirement was for the gun to be taken to a licensed gunsmith for inspection/certification to be taken to the PD with the gun for "registration". I look forward to meeting you sometime, I think we could have some good conversation.

BTW: Venator....get to work and cover the old man's A$$.....was it you that told me that "registrations" were un-constitutional? We should cover this topic on our next show in regards to the new "registration" that took effect.

Hcidem

imported post

I think I would have termed the former system as "extra-legal." This is the term I save for those little extra hassles which people in government add to our already burdensome laws.

As a homeschooling dad, I am very familiar with such efforts. Our Homeschool Legal Defense Association regularly updates its members on the interactions it has with government bureaucrats on behalf of its members. They are frequently used to tell government officials that the statutes do not require certain efforts they ask of homeschooling families. Too bad gun owners do not have something similar to the HSLDA.

"Extra-legal," I call it. Its not legally required nor legally prohibited. Retaining so-called "safety inspection" records without calling it a registration is summarily an extra-legal registration system.

I agree that it is important that we remember what "legal," "illegal," and (if we really want to draw it out) "extra-legal" means...but it is sooooo tedious! I guess that it sometimes the price of liberty.

Hcidem

imported post

DrTodd wrote:
This even from one clerk who, upon seeing my "pengun" I purchased from Stinger Mfg, said "what the #$%@ is this" looked for the serial number for approx. 10 minutes, asked an officer to help her and was told "What, that's a gun?" and proceeded to look down the barrel, wondered aloud if it was legal, and who finally asked me to come around the Plexiglas and fill out my own serial number and show both of them how it worked. See here for info: http://pengun.com/
Since we look at the laws from every angle at OCDO, I can't help but wonder about how they would apply to a pengun. Open carry, concealed carry, brandishing, etc. would probably give any judge the fits if these concepts were applied to the pengun in court.

WARCHILD

imported post

Well I am sorry, I was wrong. The safety inspection was not illegal as I cited. I hate giving wrong info. My thanks to DrTodd for challenging me on it. It helps to prevent spreading of "mis-information".
We will be fully covering the requirements of the new "registration" law that just took effect.
Jerry

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Sorry if I seemed a bit agitated, but I get that way sometimes; it really wasn't anything personal. I do perhaps like to question everything, perhaps my beliefs more than anybody's. I used to believe that regular citizen's couldn't openly carry firearms, either. Hey, that's what I was always told... see where a good "where is it written" or "who said" comes in handy?

WARCHILD

imported post

No problem, I didn't take it personal. This isn't the first time my keyboard has got me in trouble. That's why I have come to depend on the members to keep me in line. It has become a strong learning venue for me also. I look forward to meeting you one of these days.
Jerry

Darth AkSarBen

imported post

The 4 part registration in Michigan is on the state level. However, this is just semantics. The moment you buy the pistol from the FFL, they have the Make, Model, SN, etc and your name on a piece of paper held for 20 years. The registration really began then, and it included rifles and shotguns.

Registration is no way to solve crime nor is it a way to deter crime. Perhaps it is one of the ways they are trying to deal with "straw purchases" where someone buys a pistol but are actually buying it for someone else, that cannot or is unwilling to buy it on their own for reasons.

Michigan gun laws should be more like Alaska and Vermont, of that I totally agree. But, even there, there is always the FFL information that is required and gathered before the release of the firearm. Back in Nebraska, we could sell firearms over the radio on the swap shop, and sell them to someone who was interested in our gun. I am not sure what kind of security breech that would present, since there were no paperwork/background checks performed on a private sale. I would think criminal would be a bit worried about such a sale from someone they did not know since it might be a "sting" operation to catch a criminal. You never saw anyone buying marijuana from a total stranger in those parts either for the very same reason (Yes, I was a Deputy).

The next step, my opinion, would be to do away with the purchase permit issued by the local law enforcement, and simply have the 4 part paper that when one buys a pistol that the info is sent off to the MSP as it is "now", and let it go at that. It is kind of moot to go to the Sheriff Office and ask for a Pistol Purchase Permit (with no CPL) take the simple test and then you either buy a pistol in 10 days or throw away the purchase permit. Now that makes no sense at all. Simply amend the new law to eliminate the purchase permit requirement, and have the purchaser and the FFL dealer send in their copies so that they cross match and all is well.

Other venues would be to pass legislation that deem the registration of pistols or any other firearms on a state level is in violation of personal information act and all record that are being held will be destroyed.

For the Citizens of the U.S. to make and maintain that they are not at the whim of tyrannical government that is poised to seize their arms, against the Second Amendment, then registration and ownership records of firearms need to be made illegal on a national level and all previous records destroyed.

Yes?

Kenshinx2

imported post

im Mad my dad got some pistols and im actulay gunna by one off of him now but the friggen lady that was messing with the gun at the "inspection" had SO much prefume on it smells like she literaly dumped an entire bottle on meh gun QQ.. i dont like my guns smelling like grama ... can anyone tell me a good way to clean the stinky perfume off the first day i had it in my room playing with it *twirls around pretending to be a quick draw yah know* i actualy had to go to the bath room and hold my head over the toilint i feard i had to puke! it was thaat bad!.. its a lot better now but i can still smell it! God im going emo... =(

PS: but on a side note ^^ if you see a 21 or so year old kid that smells like Grama.. you know im packin! ^^ =P

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Kenshinx2 wrote:
im Mad my dad got some pistols and im actulay gunna by one off of him now but the friggen lady that was messing with the gun at the "inspection" had SO much prefume on it smells like she literaly dumped an entire bottle on meh gun QQ.. i dont like my guns smelling like grama ... can anyone tell me a good way to clean the stinky perfume off the first day i had it in my room playing with it *twirls around pretending to be a quick draw yah know* i actualy had to go to the bath room and hold my head over the toilint i feard i had to puke! it was thaat bad!.. its a lot better now but i can still smell it! God im going emo... =(

PS: but on a side note ^^ if you see a 21 or so year old kid that smells like Grama.. you know im packin! ^^ =P
Have you cleaned it with an gun cleaning solvent? That should cut through the oils in the perfume. Otherwise hang it on the clothesline for a few days:lol:

WARCHILD

imported post

Hey now....how else can I beat Clint to the draw. I used to practice quick draw, of course the gun was unloaded and made sure I stayed on the carpet. In fact I can still do the "Mexican switch" pretty good. It does impress the grandkids. :cool: