• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Brady and law Enforcement

Brimstone

imported post

So I was on the Brady Campaign website this morning and I read this:

Q. Does Brady work with Law Enforcement?

Yes! We have worked closely with law enforcement allies for the past 25 years to reduce gun related injuries and deaths in America. Our Law Enforcement Relations (LER) Department works diligently with local, state and federal lawmakers to strengthen existing laws, close loopholes and pass new laws designed to reduce the number of illegal guns on our streets and keep guns out of the hands of criminals.

When lethal new weapons come on the market, LER issues officer alerts and provide vital information police can use to educate the public and keep communities safer. LER works closely with law enforcement throughout the country, implementing programs to reduce gun violence in schools and communities.

This made me think. Why does Brady seek legislation that does not include LEOs? If they ban "assault rifles" then the police shouldn't need them anymore since no one will have them. If they ban handguns then why would LEOs need them? I would think that pepper spray would be enough to subdue an unruly bad guy. I don't understand why they would allow our children to be put at risk by LEOs with firearms when they would no longer be necessary. :banghead:

Is it that LEOs are better than the American public? Are they more safety concious than us? As a percentage, you are much more likely to be accidentally shot by a LEO than a neighbor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoD-PbbUPYQ&feature=related ). In Utah we had a LEO leave his M4 on the ground in front of someone's home and it was later found by the homeowner ( http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum52/18718.html ).

If LEOs need a firearm for protection, then so do I. Why is this so difficult to understand? Unless we are creating a society where one life is worth more than another, this should be obvious. :cuss:

r6-rider

imported post

Brimstone wrote:
Why is this so difficult to understand?
Im just going to say it straight out... the brady fa****s are by far the most retarded group of hippies iv ever come across. I got into a debate once about guns with a brady member, same ol "guns are bad" BS. But what i found funny was when he mentioned how "guns are used to kill our police officers who are there to protect us" which i countered with "armed citizens can help" but the convo pretty much ended after that. Anways, next time i saw him he was bitchin about how he just got out of jail so curiously i ask why, he tells me that "some f***ing pig" arrested him for having 2 MDMA pills on him. Of course when he said that all his friends have to chime in "why dont these pigs actually go catch criminals and stop harrasing teenagers." So it went from "our poor cops" to "those f-ing pigs" in a matter of weeks. Damn hippies will bitch about what ever is in the moment and not think twice about why they are doing it because thats what someone else is doing, so they must follow those they can relate too. Its kinda sad to think about how many people there are in this world that cant think for themselves and are going no where in life because thats what "everyone else is doing"

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Brimstone wrote:
SNIP This made me think. Why does Brady seek legislation that does not include LEOs? If they ban "assault rifles" then the police shouldn't need them anymore since no one will have them. If they ban handguns then why would LEOs need them? I would think that pepper spray would be enough to subdue an unruly bad guy. I don't understand why they would allow our children to be put at risk by LEOs with firearms when they would no longer be necessary.

You've found an exploitable hole in Brady's lies.

I'm sure others have noticed it already, but I can't seem to recall seeing it used before. Certainly, I've never thought of it.

Basically, its an almost open admission that gun control doesn't work. If you still wantto arm the cops, it automatically says the bad guys are not giving up their guns.

You could almost make a press release out of it:

BRADY CAMPAIGN ADMITS GUN CONTROL DOESN'T WORK

The Brady Campaign recently confessed to working closely with police on safety issues, admitting that police should be armed with so-called assault rifles and so-called high-capacity handguns. All in a clear concession that criminals will not be turning in their firearms or foregoing the use of guns, even if Brady's legislative plans are achieved.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Brimstone wrote:
So I was on the Brady Campaign website this morning and I read this:

Q. Does Brady work with Law Enforcement?

Yes! We have worked closely with law enforcement allies for the past 25 years to reduce gun related injuries and deaths in America. Our Law Enforcement Relations (LER) Department works diligently with local, state and federal lawmakers to strengthen existing laws, close loopholes and pass new laws designed to reduce the number of illegal guns on our streets and keep guns out of the hands of criminals.

When lethal new weapons come on the market, LER issues officer alerts and provide vital information police can use to educate the public and keep communities safer. LER works closely with law enforcement throughout the country, implementing programs to reduce gun violence in schools and communities.
...SNIP

Their LER only works with the top ranking officer corp of the police departments. Most line LEOs do not support the Brady group.

A while back there was a big uproar because the national Fraternal Order of Police (FOP), donated a chunk of money to the Brady organization. A lot of Line LEOs objected strongly to this use of their dues.

There are a lot of LEOs that see the "Brady bunch" in very much the same light as members of this forum do.

Sheriff

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Why would they offend the police forces of America? That doesn't benefit them. Instead they play into the police'sfavorite idea that they are elite by excluding them from bans and restrictions. It's equivalent to giving the LEO's of America head, which assures their undying support of excessive and ridiculous gun control (something that, in itself,already strokes their hard-on for l33t status).

You can't imagine how this hurts, but you have it right on target. :banghead:

Don't forget they need police who will also be on board with enforcing some increasingly tighter laws, so the Brady bunch NEEDS them.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
Why would they offend the police forces of America? That doesn't benefit them. Instead they play into the police'sfavorite idea that they are elite by excluding them from bans and restrictions. It's equivalent to giving the LEO's of America head, which assures their undying support of excessive and ridiculous gun control (something that, in itself,already strokes their hard-on for l33t status).

You can't imagine how this hurts, but you have it right on target. :banghead:

Don't forget they need police who will also be on board with enforcing some increasingly tighter laws, so the Brady bunch NEEDS them.

Are you an officer? My apologies. I understand there are plenty of good cops out there, but IMO there are a lot more bad ones. I'm just being realistic.

Spend four years in college and they'll let you run a Walmart. Spend six months at the academy and they'll let you run peoples' lives.

EDIT:

Oh I get it. It hurts to agree with me, not because you're an officer. I have only this for you... :p

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Spend four years in college and they'll let you run a Walmart. Spend six months at the academy and they'll let you run peoples' lives.

EDIT:

Oh I get it. It hurts to agree with me, not because you're an officer. I have only this for you... :p

Well, were I am I needed the four years in college AND three years in training, and I still don't get to run peoples lives. I do get to help put a few away, but a jury usually makes the final decision, for those that don't plead out.

Yes that was the source of my pain.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

AWDstylez wrote:

EDIT:

Well, were I am I needed the four years in college AND three years in training, and I still don't get to run peoples lives. I do get to help put a few away, but a jury usually makes the final decision, for those that don't plead out.

Yes that was the source of my pain.:monkey

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:

That's how it should be. Are you state (highway, or whatever the rest of the country calls it) or town?

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:

That's how it should be. Are you state (highway, or whatever the rest of the country calls it) or town?
No

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:

No

No to which one or are you not a cop at all?

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

SFCRetired wrote:
I've had a lot of good LEOs tell me that, barring immediate assistance from a fellow LEO, the best thing for them is an armed citizen backing them up.

I, for one, would not hesitate to come to the assistance of a LEO I saw in trouble, drawing and firing if necessary.

Then thank god you live in Alabama. If I evenexposed my gun near a cop (even one in trouble) I'd be arrested for allegedlytrying to shoot the cop.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SFCRetired wrote:
Try this idea: The Brady Bunch and their fellow-travellers are "elitists". The top-level LEOs (Chiefs and such) are usually political appointees and, as such, are also elitists.

Therefore, you get a mutual support thing going. The beat cop generally doesn't have this mindset and is, in fact, glad to have the armed citizen at his back. I've had a lot of good LEOs tell me that, barring immediate assistance from a fellow LEO, the best thing for them is an armed citizen backing them up.

I, for one, would not hesitate to come to the assistance of a LEO I saw in trouble, drawing and firing if necessary.
Give that man a cigar!:celebrate

Something people seem to forget. The first bullet that hit the Texas tower shooter came from a citizen assisting the one LEO on the scene at that moment by firing a rifle that he had retrieved from his car.

That is not to say that getting involved in a shootout is not dangerous. The LEO may mistake your actions as hostile unless he is in direct communications with you. SO BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU DO.

ChickenFarmer

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
SFCRetired wrote:
Try this idea: The Brady Bunch and their fellow-travellers are "elitists". The top-level LEOs (Chiefs and such) are usually political appointees and, as such, are also elitists.

Give that man a cigar!:celebrate

Something people seem to forget. The first bullet that hit the Texas tower shooter came from a citizen assisting the one LEO on the scene at that moment by firing a rifle that he had retrieved from his car.

That is not to say that getting involved in a shootout is not dangerous. The LEO may mistake your actions as hostile unless he is in direct communications with you. SO BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU DO.
I too WOULD help an LEO out, but not around here. In California that would get a man killed!

Also, wasn't Brady a SS agent that was shot by someone intending to assassinate Regan? HE was LE trying to protect a public figure and was shot by a normal citizen.

He believes deep in his heart of hearts that disarmament is only for normal citizens to that other SS don't get shot.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ChickenFarmer wrote:
SNIP Also, wasn't Brady a SS agent that was shot by someone intending to assassinate Regan? HE was LE trying to protect a public figure and was shot by a normal citizen.
He was White House PressSecretary.

JBURGII

imported post

Citizen wrote:
ChickenFarmer wrote:
SNIP Also, wasn't Brady a SS agent that was shot by someone intending to assassinate Regan? HE was LE trying to protect a public figure and was shot by a normal citizen.
Well, then it IS his job to protect the POTUS from shots taken at him... :lol:

ChickenFarmer

imported post

Citizen wrote:
ChickenFarmer wrote:

So then I stand corrected and withdraw my previously misguided statement.

wrightme

imported post

ChickenFarmer wrote:

Also, wasn't Brady a SS agent that was shot by someone intending to assassinate Regan? HE was LE trying to protect a public figure and was shot by a normal citizen.

He believes deep in his heart of hearts that disarmament is only for normal citizens to that other SS don't get shot.
Well, I would dispute that he was "shot by a normal citizen." From what I recall, the perp was not "normal."

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/reagan%20shooter%20hinckley%20jr%20allowed%20to%20go%20home