• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OpenCarry.org Press Release re South Carolina Open Carry Bill

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

[align=center]OpenCarry.org[/align]

[align=center]For Immediate Release – January, 2008
-----[/align]
[align=center]Representative Dan Cooper Introduces Bill to Decriminalize the Open Carry of Handguns In South Carolina[1][/align]

South Carolina is one of only 6 states banning the open carry of handguns. In most states, adults may lawfully carry unconcealed handguns without any permit.[2]

But now Representative Dan Cooper (R – Anderson County) wants to change that.

Cooper has introduced H. 3003, a bill to make South Carolina like most states where anyone legally allowed to own a handgun may carry it openly without any permit. Folks who want to carry their handguns **concealed** will still need a concealed weapons permit. And with 32 co-sponsors, including some heavy hitters, and considering that Cooper is the influential Chairman of the House Ways & Means Committee, it sure looks like H. 3003 is goin’ to have some legs!

H. 3003 comes on the heels of an online petition in South Carolina with almost 2,000 signatures calling for the decriminalization of open carry. See the petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/scocp/petition.html. [3]

The United States Supreme Court said recently in the DC Gun Ban case that the Second Amendment secures the right to keep "carry" arms, but not concealed arms, citing to a line of cases upholding the constitutional right to open carry.[4] Notably, neighboring North Carolina’s Supreme Court has held that under that state’s constitution, no license may be required to openly carry handguns. See State v. Kerner, 107 S.E. 222 (1921).

OpenCarry.org strongly endorses Representative Dan Cooper’s effort to decriminalize open carry in South Carolina, and our South Carolina members will be actively working to ensure this effort’s success.

[align=center]###[/align]
[align=left]
Media Contacts:
Mike Stollenwerk, Mike@OpenCarry.org
John Pierce, John@OpenCarry.org

Note: John and Mike are the Co-founders of OpenCarry.org, the cyberhub of the open carry movement with over 14,000 registered members (click on forum tab at OpenCarry.org and
look at the lower left for exact membership data). See more at http://www.opencarry.org/press.html and http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum63.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1] The bill is H. 3003 at http://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess118_2009-2010/bills/3003.htm.

[2] See map at http://www.opencarry.org/opencarry.html.

[3] A similar petition in Texas has resulted in a surge of interest in open carry reform there as well, and the introduction of an open carry bill there by Representative Debbie Riddle (R – Houston) is rumored to be imminent.

[4] See District of Columbia v Heller at http://www.scotusblog.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/07-2901.pdf, pages 13 and 39-42. This pdf document searches easily – try search term “openly.”[/align]

Count

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Great! Texas needs some heavy hitters, too!

M

mdgary

imported post

Just emailed the story to local news paper...

Brimstone

imported post

I grew up in SC and it has pissed me off that I can't carry there for some time. I can't even carry concealed since there is no reciprocity with Utah. It boggles my mind that great states like SC and Texas that have always stood for freedom would deny the right to open carry.

Good Luck from Utah!

:celebrate

M

mdgary

imported post

I posted the press release on SCDNR forum and already picked up a few signatures hopefully some opencarry.org members.

Shorts

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

This is great great news SC!

Glad to see Mr Cooper step up. Folks, send that man your support and see the rest of it through! :celebrate

M

mdgary

imported post

Sent to news channel 7 , WYFF news 4 and fox carolina .

AllAmerican

imported post

We are in contact today with 2 radio stations in the Florence/Myrtle Beach area. We should be able to get the info out on those 2 stations withing the next week.

Gathered a list of ALL daily papers in SC and will begin calling today.

Prophet

imported post

This is great news. I wasn't sure if any of the six other than Texas was currently looking to overturn their OC ban.

If this passes as well as Texas' that knocks OC bans down to 4 states. If Florida can get its act together than I think its only a matter of time before Oklahoma and Arkansas get on board. Of course, im not holding my breath for New York but if the number of states that ban OC goes from 6 to 1 inside of the first year or so of Obama's presidency that might make him think twice about his Brady bunch lovin gun grabbin ways.

Now before you inundate me with how much of a gun grabbin liberal obama is let me say "I KNOW". But i think he is more of a political opportunist than a true idealogue and won't piss in the wind if its blowing hard enough in his face.

Robert Butler

imported post

Unfortunately, H. 3003 is not as clean a bill as one would want it to be. There are some very negative aspects to this bill, which are detailed in the GrassRoots analysis of H. 3003.

Please read the GrassRoots analysis before committing to full support of H. 3003. Unless this bill gets amended to fix the identified problems, it is not deserving of our support.

Rob

*** GrassRoots Legislative Watch ***

H. 3003

This is a Legislative Watch announcement from GrassRoots GunRights of SC.

This email is sent for information purposes only. No immediate action
is required. If immediate action becomes needed on a gun-related bill,
GrassRoots will send out a GrassRoots Action Alert email with
information and instructions on what to do.

15 January 2009

The following gun-related bill has been sponsored in the South
Carolina General Assembly!

Bill H. 3003 sponsored by Representative Cooper (R-Anderson).

A full GrassRoots analysis of the bill can be found at:
http://scfirearms.org/Legislative/H3003.html

Bill Rentiers
Executive Officer
GrassRoots GunRights of SC