• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holster for Motorcycle Carry

Bebop

imported post

Just want to start off by saying yes I know this is an open carry site, I do open carry on my motorcycle in the summer however during the winter it is just easier to conceal. Recently got my CHP and it was a nice enough day to ride but still cold. The holster I have now is a Uncle Mikes soft fabric IWB holster. While riding it felt like the gun was going to fall out which it wasn't (that feeling is probably due to inexperience and will go away with time), it also felt like it was getting exposed. Does anyone have any thoughts on a good holster that they use when riding?

JBURGII

imported post

Shoulder rig will CC nicely under most MC jackets. I still OC myself, riding my V-Star. But have considered this one...

Bebop

imported post

I have thought about a shoulder harness but I normally wear hoodies, the pull over kind not the zip up kind,and that does not allow for an easy draw with a shoulder harness.

Nice picture :cool:. But I think if I were to do that then I would just carry my shotgun or M-15 strapped on the seat behind me or on a holster strapped to the side of the bike. Which wouldn't look bad on a cruiser, however I ride a crotch rocket.

Edit: Bad spelling

PikesPeakMtnMan

imported post

I just use my normal thumb-break holster, my vest or my jacket conceals it usually so I don't sweat it.

I rarely use my IWB holster because it does feel like the gun will fall out. I know it won't but I like the peace of mind of my belt holster.

There is also an option of a lockable holster that attaches to the bike frame....http://www.sandssalesco.com/. I haven't yet decided if I want to get something like that for my bike yet or not.

ETA - I was too slow
...or on a holster strapped to the side of the bike. Which wouldn't look bad on a cruiser, however I ride a crotch rocket.

JBURGII

imported post

Tank bag with velcro CC pocket. I can't remember where it was I saw that.. hmm.. bet google could help..

crotalus01

imported post

I OC my Glock 22 in a Fobus retention holster, it also works well in the winter as I can just put my jacket on and its concealed (although I dont care if its concealed or not, I prefer OC due to comfort since this area is hot all but maybe 3 months of the year).

Never felt like I was gonna lose it while riding, never felt the need to feel for it, its a very comfortable holster for the most part.

Bebop

imported post

I have a Fobus retentionholster for my G27 that I use for OC (for when I ride too)and for CC with heavier coats, I have never felt that that thing was going to fall. The problem is that my warmer jacket that I wear when I ride in 20 degree temps doesn't do anything to conceal, it is a tight fitting leather jacket that I wear a hoodie under that but the hoddie doesn't have enough extra fabric to cover it up without printing like crazy. Getting a new leather jacket is too expensive and can't justify the cost of 400 for a jacket to conceal the gun.

I guess I should have specified. I am more worried about the gun falling out part then the gun being exposed.

eyesopened

imported post

I carry with a Comptac CTAC IWB holster and had no issue with the gun falling out. It only has tension for retension. Maybe the fabric holster allows the gun to slide more than say a leather or kydex holster so it feels like it'll fall out?

bordsnbikes

imported post

Try out a Blade-Tech holster. Their IWB has adjustable retention screws and is very comfortable. They also have the IWB Nano which is a little smaller. I have it for my Glock 26, very smooth draw and good retention. You shouldn't have the feeling it will fall out with it. Great company too.

eyesopened

imported post

bordsnbikes wrote:
Anybody have any experience with the Comptac MTAC? It looks like it would be real solid and comfortable.

http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=95
I just bought one used and only used it for a few hours last night at the house. It works pretty well. I went from a CTAC and it is more comfortable because of the leather backing. It's a little hard drawing the pistol compared to my CTAC though, but I still have to mess with the mounts/angle etc. I've only heard good things about it so I hopped on the deal when I found one for $65.

FogRider

imported post

Just to keep things straight, the way I read it the main reason for concealing is because of winter clothing, so you don't necessarily have to stay concealed. Correct?

I just carry with a IWB (Galco leather w/ retention strap or Serpa), and either let my jacket ride up over it, or if I have to stay concealed one of my layers (untucked shirt, hoddie, whatever) goes over the gun and tucked under the barrel to keep it from blowing out.

The shouder rig would also work if you are not constantly taking the hoodie on and off, just adjust the straps so it fits over everything.

bordsnbikes

imported post

Eyesopened, keep me posted after you've finished adjusting it, if you don't mind.

I have thought about the shoulder holster for when I ride and what I have decided is that you can draw while your riding, but that's not really reasonable to try and shoot and "drive". If your stopped at a light and need to draw you should be able to zip between cars and get away otherwise you've set yourself up for failure. Also, when you stop for lunch or something (if you are trying to stay concealed) then you can't take off your jacket.

eyesopened

imported post

bordsnbikes wrote:
Eyesopened, keep me posted after you've finished adjusting it, if you don't mind.

After about a week of CC with the MTAC, I do like it much better than the CTAC. The leather backing makes it much more comfortable versus having the kydex directly against your side, and I can't tell if it's any thicker. The retention is still a little harder than I'd like, but I'm hoping with use the leather will conform to my pistol more. The guy I bought it from said he had hardly used it so I'm hoping it just needs to be broken in.

I do like how you can buy an extra bodies to use other pistols with it so I'll be ordering a 3" 1911 body for my EMP. My EMP is my "summer" gun since it's so thin and easy to conceal versus my XD (The "winter" pistol)

bordsnbikes

imported post

To bad about the retention, I would have guessed it was adjustable because of the screws next to the trigger guard. Now that I look at it again it looks like its attaching the plastic to the leather.

Thanks for the update Eyesopened. Hope it works in a little more for you.

eyesopened

imported post

I think there is another way to mod it for a little less retention. There is a these two tube like pieces that space the holster away from the leather. If I put in two slightly longer pieces this should space the holster further away giving me slightly less retention. Hopefully without losing complete retention. I'll have to mess with it some more.

American Rattlesnake

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
I think there is another way to mod it for a little less retention. There is a these two tube like pieces that space the holster away from the leather. If I put in two slightly longer pieces this should space the holster further away giving me slightly less retention. Hopefully without losing complete retention. I'll have to mess with it some more.
Yes, that would work, but I do recommend simply giving it time. The screws near the trigger guard are, indeed, for retention and the leather does give over time. It will mold to the shape of your pistol.

Regards,
AR

eyesopened

imported post

American Rattlesnake wrote:
eyesopened wrote:
Yes, that would work, but I do recommend simply giving it time. The screws near the trigger guard are, indeed, for retention and the leather does give over time. It will mold to the shape of your pistol.

Regards,
AR
Yeah I figured I'd just use it more and break it in. It's a great holsters just slightly more retention than I'm used to. I've had a CTAC longer so I'm more used to that. MTAC is good, just different.