• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My ideas on how we could expand faster

Michigander

imported post

While there is no doubt that MOC is expanding, I think we should be trying to gain more ground faster. We gain new members, but I think our methods of operation could use an overhaul.

As it stands now, we grow by word of mouth, the occasional person seeing the forum, and the occasional news coverage. Plus those T shirts don't hurt either. But I think we could be doing better.

I think we need to start thinking creatively about ways to attract more attention. My brother suggested Craigslist postings in the political or social group listings. Additionally, some stores allow fliers and things to be put up on bulletin boards, and of course we could probably get more gun shops to pass out info packets. I'm sure there are probably even better ideas than that, and I'd love to hear them.

My proposal, is that we start doing regularly scheduled meetings every 2 or 3 weeks in Detroit suburbs, or perhaps even Detroit itself, at different locations, and as usuall these locations would be suggested by anyone and everyone. That way, we would all know ahead of time when the meetings would be, making planning easier, plus it would be no sweat off anyone's back if they missed one or two, because the next would be coming right up. These meetings obviously wouldn't have to have have the town hall meeting setting like some of the others have, but rather be less formal because less people would probably show up. But at the same time, hopefully first timers would show up after hearing about us and our regular meetings from the web or a info packet, and it's the first timers who make it all worth doing, because meetings are the best way to convince folks they won't get arrested.

I know I probably sound ambitious here, but if we really got organized, we could branch off by county. We'll get as much back as we put into it, so I'd like to see us double our efforts.

Thoughts? Anyone interested?

Michigander

imported post

By the way, just so it's clear on what I'm suggesting, I'm thinking more or less that we should cover Oakland Country and the counties surrounding it, because that's the most heavily populated area of the state, that's where I'm at, and if I'm not mistaken, that's where we have the most members.

Hcidem

imported post

I strongly believe this is essential to protecting our 2A rights. We in west Michigan are continually affected by the tender sensitivities of some of our east stater neighbors. It is very important that OCing gains acceptance as normal (if slightly atypical) behavior. That being said, I personally have very little availability to attend Metro Detroit events.

custom.45acp

imported post

I would attend a West Michigan meeting. I'm still very skeptical about OCing in the Holland area, but a true believer in protecting our rights!

Custom.45acp

taxwhat

imported post

Hcidem wrote:
That's right, taxwhat...red dots all across the state (a few green ones would be fine also). Lets fill it up!
Let the streets and sidewalks run over with Knowledge and education , You may wave a flag [ American red white and blue ] Please .

M16a2

Farmington,Port Huron,Waterford MICHIGAN, , USA
imported post

All the online repost over to other forums is a GREAT and free start.

The real issue is so many people don't know it is legal. Not one person I tell believe me. And when they see it is true go to work and tell workers and get "BS no way is the a law".

It cost money but I like the billboard on say I96!?! I read every billboard from Novi to Port Huron or see them every weekend in the summer.

Think if you are from IL,OH,Canada and see "Welcome to Michigan" followed by a "Open carry is Legal Here". Makes a hell of a statement.

taxwhat

imported post

M16a2 wrote:
All the online repost over to other forums is a GREAT and free start.

The real issue is so many people don't know it is legal. Not one person I tell believe me. And when they see it is true go to work and tell workers and get "BS no way is the a law".

It cost money but I like the billboard on say I96!?! I read every billboard from Novi to Port Huron or see them every weekend in the summer.

Think if you are from IL,OH,Canada and see "Welcome to Michigan" followed by a "Open carry is Legal Here". Makes a hell of a statement.
How about news clip on Internet with GOV and MSP and Michigan Sheriffs association and Michigan Chiefs of Police telling the truth ?!IMO Public Service Announcement !

Michigander

imported post

Good thinking, but I don't think a billboard would be able to have enough info, and I don't think that we could actually get the government to do a public service announcement.

Lets keep the ideas rolling...

taxwhat

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Good thinking, but I don't think a billboard would be able to have enough info, and I don't think that we could actually get the government to do a public service announcement.

Lets keep the ideas rolling...
Are you a Non Believer ? Words mean Stuff ,People have Power ! Now can WE get them off there duffs?

Michigander

imported post

Words mean stuff, but just saying "open carry is legal in Michigan" would be horribly misleading, because it's very difficult to do legally, and the last thing we would want to do is get someone in trouble if they got mislead by a billboard. Nor would we want to have a billboard so wordy that people couldn't read it before they passed it by.

If you think that we could get government officials to endorse us, I'm all for it, but I don't see it happening. I'd love to be wrong though.

What about if we simply contacted a bunch of radio stations to see if they'd do interviews with us? I've heard much less interesting topics get air time.

taxwhat

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Words mean stuff, but just saying "open carry is legal in Michigan" would be horribly misleading, because it's very difficult to do legally, and the last thing we would want to do is get someone in trouble if they got mislead by a billboard. Nor would we want to have a billboard so wordy that people couldn't read it before they passed it by.

If you think that we could get government officials to endorse us, I'm all for it, but I don't see it happening. I'd love to be wrong though.

What about if we simply contacted a bunch of radio stations to see if they'd do interviews with us? I've heard much less interesting topics get air time.
OK [just remember I am on 2A side] How many of OC ers Have public speaking experience and are knowledgeably on OC, CC and Real life ? How many have been ambushed on Live broadcast ? How many have taken on State ,County and Local Government ?

Michigander

imported post

Well, there are only a couple people here who I would think to be suitable for radio interviews, so if it's an option we ever use, we'll obviously have to have designated people.

I'm not sure what you mean by take on the government, but I did get a cop in trouble for lying under oath once. :cool:

taxwhat

imported post

That's a good start .Government does not like to be rocked [ challenge ]THE use of power to Get Even [ Retaliation ,Revenge ]Standing your ground may co$t you ! But anything worth fighting for does ,Education works !

nick7871

imported post

Michigander wrote:
While there is no doubt that MOC is expanding, I think we should be trying to gain more ground faster. We gain new members, but I think our methods of operation could use an overhaul.

As it stands now, we grow by word of mouth, the occasional person seeing the forum, and the occasional news coverage. Plus those T shirts don't hurt either. But I think we could be doing better.

I think we need to start thinking creatively about ways to attract more attention. My brother suggested Craigslist postings in the political or social group listings. Additionally, some stores allow fliers and things to be put up on bulletin boards, and of course we could probably get more gun shops to pass out info packets. I'm sure there are probably even better ideas than that, and I'd love to hear them.

My proposal, is that we start doing regularly scheduled meetings every 2 or 3 weeks in Detroit suburbs, or perhaps even Detroit itself, at different locations, and as usuall these locations would be suggested by anyone and everyone. That way, we would all know ahead of time when the meetings would be, making planning easier, plus it would be no sweat off anyone's back if they missed one or two, because the next would be coming right up. These meetings obviously wouldn't have to have have the town hall meeting setting like some of the others have, but rather be less formal because less people would probably show up. But at the same time, hopefully first timers would show up after hearing about us and our regular meetings from the web or a info packet, and it's the first timers who make it all worth doing, because meetings are the best way to convince folks they won't get arrested.

I know I probably sound ambitious here, but if we really got organized, we could branch off by county. We'll get as much back as we put into it, so I'd like to see us double our efforts.

Thoughts? Anyone interested?
I think thats a great idea as far as having more frequent meetings and branching off into counties, I'm from Farmington Hills and would be more then willing to help organize gatherings and coming up with new ideas to get the publics attention, as far as drawing new crowds I think that my generation would be a great way to spread the word and get the ball rolling on these topics. I would say only a few of my friends DO NOT carry a firearm while none of them have been informed on the open carry laws, when I told them they didn't believe me ether but I showed them the info and they were amazed and we talk about it all the time now, we go to target sports on Woodward at least once a week in no smaller of a group then 5 men and woman. Every responsible youngster that I know wants to stand up for some thing and I think that providing them with the knowledge and getting a up coming generation involved will defiantly help to secure OC for the future. If any one is willing or wants to set up a gathering for the metro Detroit area I will attend with 5+ and many of these friend's of mine are young business owners and have some pull in there communities. Looking forward to hear other members input on this...

nick7871

imported post

I believe thatits very important to put in effort on our transportation laws, cause having your firearm in the trunk is not carrying and I truly feel that if we can some how organize and influence legislators on this topic and get it passedthen OC would spread like a wild fire.