• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My ideas on how we could expand faster

jmlefler

imported post

Although I don't have a Facebook or Myspace account, I am using Twitter. Twitter is a great, quick way to accumulate 'followers' and spread a presence quickly. Check it out

twitter.com/jmlefler

Carry on.

ruger45

imported post

I personally think every area in Michigan is important to hit, not just Oakland County. I live in Burton & I have posted about problems from my in-laws & info they received from Richfield Twp & Mundy Twp police departments telling them that OC is not legal. I think every area is important, not just the Detroit area.

taxwhat

imported post

ruger45 wrote:
I personally think every area in Michigan is important to hit, not just Oakland County. I live in Burton & I have posted about problems from my in-laws & info they received from Richfield Twp & Mundy Twp police departments telling them that OC is not legal. I think every area is important, not just the Detroit area.
THE whole State or none .That is why i [ IMO] think 3 to 5 countries with a plan .Make Government Do there JOB. NO more if this if that !

Hcidem

imported post

I whole-heartedly agree with the statewide approach. Venatorhas done a great job in trying to get people to network in their regions.

By the way, ruger45, did you happen to notice the Family Fun Day sponsored by SAFR this weekend in Burton? I posted a link about it here. Although its short notice, I hope some local would be willing to attend while open carrying.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/20382.html

Michigander

imported post

Ruger, the entire state is very important, but we must all focus our efforts on our individual areas if we are to work efficiently. That's what I'm doing, and I encourage you, and everyone else to do the same.

custom.45acp

imported post

When I lived in Illinois, I used to teach photography at libraries. As long as I gave them ample time, they would advertise the classes, forfree, in their monthly brochures (which sometimes would include local newspaper listings.) I don't see why it can't be done here, just a different topic, Open Carry. It's an excellent concept because of the diversity of people that can be accessed at one location.

Custom.45acp

taxwhat

imported post

custom.45acp wrote:
When I lived in Illinois, I used to teach photography at libraries. As long as I gave them ample time, they would advertise the classes, forfree, in their monthly brochures (which sometimes would include local newspaper listings.) I don't see why it can't be done here, just a different topic, Open Carry. It's an excellent concept because of the diversity of people that can be accessed at one location.

Custom.45acp
THATS a great idea . Try it let us know . Again a small group will end up cannon fodder if no plan to educate Local government [police, 911 call centers politicians and the general public ]

Michigander

imported post

taxwhat wrote:
THATS a great idea . Try it let us know . Again a small group will end up cannon fodder if no plan to educate Local government [police, 911 call centers politicians and the general public]

I gotta disagree. Of the many semi bad brushes with law enforcement stemming from individuals OCIng, only 2 were/are seriously bad because they involve(d) charges being pressed. I don't believe we have ever had a single case of a group of any size being harassed. Grand Haven is far and away the most stuck up city I know of in Michigan, so that's one thing. But anywhere else, once a cop calls up the prosecutor, thinking he's gonna be able to bust someone, and the prosecutor says let him go, it's a done deal. That is the likely worst case scenario if you don't push the envelope and tell agressive police information you don't need to, or use a IWB holster.

If you or anyone else is that worried, you can print off and mail a copy of that law enforcement information packet to your local LE agency.

nick7871

imported post

Hcidem wrote:
I whole-heartedly agree with the statewide approach. Venatorhas done a great job in trying to get people to network in their regions.

By the way, ruger45, did you happen to notice the Family Fun Day sponsored by SAFR this weekend in Burton? I posted a link about it here. Although its short notice, I hope some local would be willing to attend while open carrying.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/20382.html
Face book was a great idea my friend, I will be sure to let every one know to check it out!!!!!

Yeah butseance we live in this area we can meet a little morefrequentlyand try to get the word out in thecity's where we or at least I knowallot of peoplethat are into firearms and there right to carry whether with or with outa cpl, I could be of great help in the Oakland county, other wise its hard for all of us to get together often and even so (and I don't know the details cause I have not met with any of you at this point) how much gets done with not to many people showing up? Again I don't know the details but how mucheducating is being put into place? And by no means at all am I implying that thingsare notgetting done or else I wouldn't be with every one on this forum I believe every one is putting forth great effort, I do think on the other hand that the process could be more effective in having meeting such as we (michigander and I) have talked about... Now I haven't been here nearly as long as the most of you and I'm not saying that meetings are not being of any help to the issue, just the more were seen around in numbers with hopefully no conflict which I don't see how causewhat we are doing is legal, the more people we get involved more doors open for the future. I'm not trying to divide I'm trying to bring people together for all of us and its easy to do so in our own towns or city's where we live.Then we all get together at the meetingsthat Venator puts together or who ever else it may be to show that we are in numbers in all areas of the state and were only getting bigger... Im talkingaboutcasual meetings in between,Itmaybe be very affective.

Just my thoughts thats all no one has to agree only suggestions to make things more efficient or for other to work off if they choose to.

pmcqueen37

imported post

ISMOID wrote:
Been to a gun show lately? Not everyone is selling guns. I haven't checked on table pricing but having a table and passing out information will target gun folk directly.

http://www.migunshows.com/resform.html

Prices are in the middle of the page, been to 3 or 4 of these shows since Nov. 08 and usually there is an NRA table and at the Birch Run show in Nov, I saw a GOA table as well.

Michigander

imported post

That link says no loaded firearms in the show unless you are a cop. I myself don't think anyone with that policy deserves our money.

pmcqueen37

imported post

Michigander wrote:
That link says no loaded firearms in the show unless you are a cop. I myself don't think anyone with that policy deserves our money.

And maybe thats exactly why you have a table there, to educate all the people at these shows who gave up their right to carry, to come to the show, that open carry is legal, ect. ect ect. I have had many open carry conversations with people at these shows, get enough people educated and maybe they can convince the people that host the show to change the rules. I've handed out OC, pamphlets, had a great conversation with an NRA rep at the Monroe show who was unaware of OC law. Also everyone there is already pro 2nd ammendment.

Also took my brother in law to his first show in Birch run, (He was gun illiterate) and now He's talking about buying his first handgun.

I will be taking his Son in law to the show in Monroe Next weekend and He's knows nothing about guns so hopefully another convert.

So I will continue to go to these shows, I'm sorry if this offends anybody, but I love bieng around so many like minded people as myself, and did I forget to mention all the guns as well :)

Michigander

imported post

Well, if they'd give us a table for free as a non profit group, I'd be willing to go in there Kali carrying. Anything else, I think I'll have to pass on.

Gosirr

imported post

Michigander wrote:
While there is no doubt that MOC is expanding, I think we should be trying to gain more ground faster. We gain new members, but I think our methods of operation could use an overhaul.

As it stands now, we grow by word of mouth, the occasional person seeing the forum, and the occasional news coverage. Plus those T shirts don't hurt either. But I think we could be doing better.

I think we need to start thinking creatively about ways to attract more attention. My brother suggested Craigslist postings in the political or social group listings. Additionally, some stores allow fliers and things to be put up on bulletin boards, and of course we could probably get more gun shops to pass out info packets. I'm sure there are probably even better ideas than that, and I'd love to hear them.

My proposal, is that we start doing regularly scheduled meetings every 2 or 3 weeks in Detroit suburbs, or perhaps even Detroit itself, at different locations, and as usuall these locations would be suggested by anyone and everyone. That way, we would all know ahead of time when the meetings would be, making planning easier, plus it would be no sweat off anyone's back if they missed one or two, because the next would be coming right up. These meetings obviously wouldn't have to have have the town hall meeting setting like some of the others have, but rather be less formal because less people would probably show up. But at the same time, hopefully first timers would show up after hearing about us and our regular meetings from the web or a info packet, and it's the first timers who make it all worth doing, because meetings are the best way to convince folks they won't get arrested.

I know I probably sound ambitious here, but if we really got organized, we could branch off by county. We'll get as much back as we put into it, so I'd like to see us double our efforts.

Thoughts? Anyone interested?
INTERESTED--GOOD IDEA --PM SENT

Michigander

imported post

Being sick, tired, and hopped up on cold meds, I've got another idea. What about graffiti or trash clean ups? It's something we could do as a group, but with a lot more visibility than sitting down at a coffee shop or a McDonalds. Plus it would make it even more clear that we're good people out to do the right thing.