Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you say "repeal preemption" in Virginia

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

SB 832 Firearms; possessing or carrying dangerous weapon in public buildings during official meetings.

Text available here

Will likely show up in VCDL legislative tracking tool soon, but you might want to be on the lookout. I started searching for these after I realized how many senators/delegates are asking firearms questions in this year's constituent surveys.

Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

I know the true answer to this, but has there been any reason that any particular locality would want to change this law? IOW, have there been any high profile complaints, or any bad lip service against preemption as it now exists? Perhaps the Norfolk City Council... that's the only one I can think of.

Just wondering.

TFred

BTW, the new bill in question adds this following text to the bottom of the current Preemption law (emphasis mine):

C. Nothing in this section shall prohibit a locality from adopting an ordinance that prohibits possessing or carrying firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof in a community or recreation center, administrative building, or public library owned or operated by the locality during an official meeting of the governing body.

Post imported post

Sounds like they want to keep legally armed citizens from gov't meetings. I wonder why they're so afraid of us...

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

eyesopened wrote:
    Sounds like they want to keep legally armed citizens from gov't meetings. I wonder why they're so afraid of us...
    They fear the object and the power it represents - the power of freedom.

Far better to judge the person by their actions but that requires cognitive ability.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

+1. Well said sir.

Grapeshot wrote:
    eyesopened wrote:
    They fear the object and the power it represents - the power of freedom.

Far better to judge the person by their actions but that requires cognitive ability.

Yata hey

Post imported post

At least a couple.

Falls Church has wanted to do this for a while.
    Some Culpeper officials believe we want to intimidate them when we attend these meetings armed.

They just don't understand we don't strap guns on our hips to go to meetings and intimidate people, rather we choose to prepare ourselves to take responsibility, and aren't willing to let them determine when and where we take that responsibility.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Only the timid may be intimidated.

Post imported post

This is a BS bill. I have been to a number of City Council meetings, including the City of Manassas Council meeting after the "Tony seven" incident.

This is simply an attempt by those elected officials who do not support our rights and want to take our rights away from us.

Post imported post

Post imported post

Tess wrote:
    SB 832 Firearms; possessing or carrying dangerous weapon in public buildings during official meetings.

Text available here

Will likely show up in VCDL legislative tracking tool soon, but you might want to be on the lookout. I started searching for these after I realized how many senators/delegates are asking firearms questions in this year's constituent surveys.
    We need to remember this come Lobby Day, Jan. 19th

Add it to your list.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Post imported post

I have said repeatedly that protecting preemption is one of our most important tasks.

Post imported post

So let me see if I understand. This proposed legislation could undo preemption or the law could not be passed because of preemption.
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

Post imported post

T Dubya wrote:
    So let me see if I understand. This proposed legislation could undo preemption or the law could not be passed because of preemption.
    It would amount to an exception to total, true preemption.

Yata hey

Post imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
    It looks like it's sponsored by Mamie Locke (D) District 2 (Hampton, Newport News, Suffolk, and Portsmouth.) Uber-liberal.
    [*]
    Mamie Locke has previously tried (unsuccessfully) to introduce legislation to ban guns in libraries after Newport News found out that it's posted prohibition of same was illegal. She doesn't think guns belong in libraries. After her last effort, she said she'd try again, but didn't hold much hope. However, this time, she may be in cahoots with other localities that have been "visited" by VCDL contingents.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Post imported post

when I/we went to the Newport News city council meeting and I told them that their signs on the library was illegal and had to go, there was a lot of hate and discontent in town. I finally had to threaten the city attorney with legal action to get them to take the signs down.

I did the same thing in the libraries in Hampton but didn't have to be so bellicose to have success there.

Mizz Locke was not happy and the next legislative session there was her liberty hating bill trying to undo the "damage" we had done.

Every year there are cities wanting common sense exceptions, which in effect would be the death knell for preemption. With the death of preemption would come a flood of local regulations designed to destroy freedom and 15.2-915.

It is important to note that most cities and counties still have their preempted laws "on the books" so that if preemption becomes a toothless tiger they won't have to reenact those laws, just begin to re-enforce them.

Anybody want to allow fine folk on the Norfolk City Council to have exemptions????? These exceptions are a serious threat and are not to be taken lightly. In my opinion it would be easier to prevent the damage than to repair it.

We must preserve preemption.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

6L6GC wrote:
    SNIP Every year there are cities wanting [what are laughably called]common sense exceptions, which in effect would be the death knell for preemption.
    There, fixed it for ya.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Common sense is a fictional exemption to the rules of logic. A refuge for scoundrels.

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    Common sense is a fictional exemption to the rules of logic. A refuge for scoundrels.
    Spoken like a true Vulcan.

Yata hey

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    Tomahawk wrote:
    Spoken like a true Vulcan.

Yata hey
    Live long and prosper. Unless you are an anti.

Post imported post

Maybe we should visit her office on lobby day to show our displeasurefor her tyranny.
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

Post imported post

2a4all wrote:
    Mamie Locke has previously tried (unsuccessfully) to introduce legislation to ban guns in libraries after Newport News found out that it's posted prohibition of same was illegal. She doesn't think guns belong in libraries. After her last effort, she said she'd try again, but didn't hold much hope. However, this time, she may be in cahoots with other localities that have been "visited" by VCDL contingents.
    As I just posted in another thread... when anyone raises questions like this, we need to immediately rephrase the question in real world terms:

Do you really think it's a good idea that only criminals have guns in libraries?

TFred

Post imported post

In this legislative session it is imperative that each and every one of us play a positive role in not only protecting but promoting our 2nd Amendment.

There is no doubt in my mind that there will be an article in the Daily Press or Virginian Pilot praising Senator (excuse me while I spit) Mamie Locke and how her bills banning evil weapons will make everyone feel safer.

We must be prepared to respond quickly and decisively to any and all anti-gun bills introduced. Check your local newspapers everyday, post and anti-gun articles, check this forum daily, be prepared to post to any anti-gun articles anywhere when they come up.

Take that extra three minutes, register at XYZ newspaper, post a response, each and every post is significant. You do not need to write a lengthy response - one paragraph or even a few sentences will suffice.

Let's do it!

Post imported post

There are two possibilities to preclude this attempt at nullifying preemption;

1) Attempt to convince Ms Locke that her efforts will not bear the fruit she expects. How to do this? I think she would be put off by an armed VCDL contingent visit, and would generate some bad PR. (e.g. We represent your friendly neighborhood armed LACs who would like to continue to patronize libraries while armed. Please don't ban this practice because it's basically unenforceable and then the only armed people in libraries will be the criminals, while the other patrons are potential victims.) Probably won't be effective. Ms Locke would be delighted if gangbangers patronized libraries....more reading, less crime...

2) Persuade the folks who would act on this bill to kill it. The GA has strong feelings about preemption, which they have displayed during previous sessions. Gov Kaine is/will be the outgoing governor, and with his new job as DNC Chair, he'd as likely sign such a bill if it ever reached his desk. We'll need an ally to kill this in committee.

Will efforts to kill this bill jeopardize efforts to relax concealed carry in restaurants? Sens Norment & Miller and Del Hamilton don't indicate much support for expanding CC/OC.

There's a 3rd alternative:

"C. Nothing in this section shall prohibit a locality from adopting an ordinance that prohibits possessing or carrying firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof in a community or recreation center, administrative building, or public library owned or operated by the locality during an official meeting of the governing body."

Amend this bill to mandate these prohibitions as part of state law, and preserve preemption.

Edited to add 3rd alternative (which no one wants).
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

Hopefully there will be a bigger showing at lobby day than last year. That will set the pace for the legislative year.

Post imported post

Renegade wrote:
    In this legislative session it is imperative that each and every one of us play a positive role in not only protecting but promoting our 2nd Amendment.

There is no doubt in my mind that there will be an article in the Daily Press or Virginian Pilot praising Senator (excuse me while I spit) Mamie Locke and how her bills banning evil weapons will make everyone feel safer.

We must be prepared to respond quickly and decisively to any and all anti-gun bills introduced. Check your local newspapers everyday, post and anti-gun articles, check this forum daily, be prepared to post to any anti-gun articles anywhere when they come up.

Take that extra three minutes, register at XYZ newspaper, post a response, each and every post is significant. You do not need to write a lengthy response - one paragraph or even a few sentences will suffice.

Let's do it!
    This site (http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?091+men+BIL) allows you to look at a quick, one-line summary of every bill introduced. That's where I learned about this. I 've already gone through and made myself a list of bills I'm interested in (not all are gun-related). Takes a few minutes, but well worth it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast