• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can you say "repeal preemption" in Virginia

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SB 832 Firearms; possessing or carrying dangerous weapon in public buildings during official meetings.

Text available here

Will likely show up in VCDL legislative tracking tool soon, but you might want to be on the lookout. I started searching for these after I realized how many senators/delegates are asking firearms questions in this year's constituent surveys.

TFred

imported post

I know the true answer to this, but has there been any reason that any particular locality would want to change this law? IOW, have there been any high profile complaints, or any bad lip service against preemption as it now exists? Perhaps the Norfolk City Council... that's the only one I can think of.

Just wondering.

TFred

BTW, the new bill in question adds this following text to the bottom of the current Preemption law (emphasis mine):

C. Nothing in this section shall prohibit a locality from adopting an ordinance that prohibits possessing or carrying firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof in a community or recreation center, administrative building, or public library owned or operated by the locality during an official meeting of the governing body.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

eyesopened wrote:
Sounds like they want to keep legally armed citizens from gov't meetings. I wonder why they're so afraid of us...
They fear the object and the power it represents - the power of freedom.

Far better to judge the person by their actions but that requires cognitive ability.

Yata hey

LdoMaj_Ammo

imported post

+1. Well said sir.

Grapeshot wrote:
eyesopened wrote:
Sounds like they want to keep legally armed citizens from gov't meetings. I wonder why they're so afraid of us...
They fear the object and the power it represents - the power of freedom.

Far better to judge the person by their actions but that requires cognitive ability.

Yata hey

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

At least a couple.

Falls Church has wanted to do this for a while.
Some Culpeper officials believe we want to intimidate them when we attend these meetings armed.

They just don't understand we don't strap guns on our hips to go to meetings and intimidate people, rather we choose to prepare ourselves to take responsibility, and aren't willing to let them determine when and where we take that responsibility.

rebfan

imported post

This is a BS bill. I have been to a number of City Council meetings, including the City of Manassas Council meeting after the "Tony seven" incident.

This is simply an attempt by those elected officials who do not support our rights and want to take our rights away from us.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Tess wrote:
SB 832 Firearms; possessing or carrying dangerous weapon in public buildings during official meetings.

Text available here

Will likely show up in VCDL legislative tracking tool soon, but you might want to be on the lookout. I started searching for these after I realized how many senators/delegates are asking firearms questions in this year's constituent surveys.
We need to remember this come Lobby Day, Jan. 19th

Add it to your list.

Yata hey

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

So let me see if I understand. This proposed legislation could undo preemption or the law could not be passed because of preemption.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

T Dubya wrote:
So let me see if I understand. This proposed legislation could undo preemption or the law could not be passed because of preemption.
It would amount to an exception to total, true preemption.

Yata hey

2a4all

imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
It looks like it's sponsored by Mamie Locke (D) District 2 (Hampton, Newport News, Suffolk, and Portsmouth.) Uber-liberal.
[*]
Mamie Locke has previously tried (unsuccessfully) to introduce legislation to ban guns in libraries after Newport News found out that it's posted prohibition of same was illegal. She doesn't think guns belong in libraries. After her last effort, she said she'd try again, but didn't hold much hope. However, this time, she may be in cahoots with other localities that have been "visited" by VCDL contingents.

6L6GC

imported post

when I/we went to the Newport News city council meeting and I told them that their signs on the library was illegal and had to go, there was a lot of hate and discontent in town. I finally had to threaten the city attorney with legal action to get them to take the signs down.

I did the same thing in the libraries in Hampton but didn't have to be so bellicose to have success there.

Mizz Locke was not happy and the next legislative session there was her liberty hating bill trying to undo the "damage" we had done.

Every year there are cities wanting common sense exceptions, which in effect would be the death knell for preemption. With the death of preemption would come a flood of local regulations designed to destroy freedom and 15.2-915.

It is important to note that most cities and counties still have their preempted laws "on the books" so that if preemption becomes a toothless tiger they won't have to reenact those laws, just begin to re-enforce them.

Anybody want to allow fine folk on the Norfolk City Council to have exemptions????? These exceptions are a serious threat and are not to be taken lightly. In my opinion it would be easier to prevent the damage than to repair it.

We must preserve preemption.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

6L6GC wrote:
SNIP Every year there are cities wanting [what are laughably called] common sense exceptions, which in effect would be the death knell for preemption.
There, fixed it for ya. :)