• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can you say "repeal preemption" in Virginia

TFred

imported post

2a4all wrote:
Mamie Locke has previously tried (unsuccessfully) to introduce legislation to ban guns in libraries after Newport News found out that it's posted prohibition of same was illegal. She doesn't think guns belong in libraries. After her last effort, she said she'd try again, but didn't hold much hope. However, this time, she may be in cahoots with other localities that have been "visited" by VCDL contingents.
As I just posted in another thread... when anyone raises questions like this, we need to immediately rephrase the question in real world terms:

Do you really think it's a good idea that only criminals have guns in libraries?

TFred

Renegade

imported post

In this legislative session it is imperative that each and every one of us play a positive role in not only protecting but promoting our 2nd Amendment.

There is no doubt in my mind that there will be an article in the Daily Press or Virginian Pilot praising Senator (excuse me while I spit) Mamie Locke and how her bills banning evil weapons will make everyone feel safer.

We must be prepared to respond quickly and decisively to any and all anti-gun bills introduced. Check your local newspapers everyday, post and anti-gun articles, check this forum daily, be prepared to post to any anti-gun articles anywhere when they come up.

Take that extra three minutes, register at XYZ newspaper, post a response, each and every post is significant. You do not need to write a lengthy response - one paragraph or even a few sentences will suffice.

Let's do it!

2a4all

imported post

There are two possibilities to preclude this attempt at nullifying preemption;

1) Attempt to convince Ms Locke that her efforts will not bear the fruit she expects. How to do this? I think she would be put off by an armed VCDL contingent visit, and would generate some bad PR. (e.g. We represent your friendly neighborhood armed LACs who would like to continue to patronize libraries while armed. Please don't ban this practice because it's basically unenforceable and then the only armed people in libraries will be the criminals, while the other patrons are potential victims.) Probably won't be effective. Ms Locke would be delighted if gangbangers patronized libraries....more reading, less crime...:banghead:

2) Persuade the folks who would act on this bill to kill it. The GA has strong feelings about preemption, which they have displayed during previous sessions. Gov Kaine is/will be the outgoing governor, and with his new job as DNC Chair, he'd as likely sign such a bill if it ever reached his desk. We'll need an ally to kill this in committee.

Will efforts to kill this bill jeopardize efforts to relax concealed carry in restaurants? Sens Norment & Miller and Del Hamilton don't indicate much support for expanding CC/OC.

There's a 3rd alternative:

"C. Nothing in this section shall prohibit a locality from adopting an ordinance that prohibits possessing or carrying firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof in a community or recreation center, administrative building, or public library owned or operated by the locality during an official meeting of the governing body."

Amend this bill to mandate these prohibitions as part of state law, and preserve preemption. :cuss:

Edited to add 3rd alternative (which no one wants).

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Hopefully there will be a bigger showing at lobby day than last year. That will set the pace for the legislative year.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Renegade wrote:
In this legislative session it is imperative that each and every one of us play a positive role in not only protecting but promoting our 2nd Amendment.

There is no doubt in my mind that there will be an article in the Daily Press or Virginian Pilot praising Senator (excuse me while I spit) Mamie Locke and how her bills banning evil weapons will make everyone feel safer.

We must be prepared to respond quickly and decisively to any and all anti-gun bills introduced. Check your local newspapers everyday, post and anti-gun articles, check this forum daily, be prepared to post to any anti-gun articles anywhere when they come up.

Take that extra three minutes, register at XYZ newspaper, post a response, each and every post is significant. You do not need to write a lengthy response - one paragraph or even a few sentences will suffice.

Let's do it!

This site (http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?091+men+BIL) allows you to look at a quick, one-line summary of every bill introduced. That's where I learned about this. I 've already gone through and made myself a list of bills I'm interested in (not all are gun-related). Takes a few minutes, but well worth it.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Note the antis will state this is commonsense and limited because it speaks only to community or recreation center, administrative building, or public library owned or operated by the locality and during an official meeting of the governing body.

We know that's bull; limited restrictions on freedom, particularly by the government seated to represent us, are restrictions. As TFred stated, we really don't want to ensure only criminals are armed at government-body meetings.

2a4all

imported post

T Dubya wrote:
Maybe we should visit her office on lobby day to show our displeasurefor her tyranny.
And the headlines read:

"Group of armed angry white men invades black (female) senator's office to object to her proposed anti-gun legislation."

Not a good idea.

Marco

imported post

2a4all wrote:
T Dubya wrote: snip
we should visit her office on lobby day
"Group of armed angry white men invades black (female) senator's office to object to her proposed anti-gun legislation."

Not a good idea.
Actually it is a good idea!
The lobby day crowd is a multi racial mix of American citizens.
So we'll add a Black, a Female, an Asianand/or Latino so they can't us the angry white man argument.

[line]
Why do these elected officials seek to disarm law abiding citizens?
Those willing to rob, rape and murder prove they are willing to violate the law so why would this one be any different?
Gun control is a waste of already stretched gov't resources.

Rhetorical questions

2a4all

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
2a4all wrote:
T Dubya wrote: snip
we should visit her office on lobby day

Not a good idea.
Actually it is a good idea!
The lobby day crowd is a multi racial mix of American citizens.
So we'll add a Black, a Female, an Asianand/or Latino so they can't us the angry white man argument.

[line]
Why do these elected officials seek to disarm law abiding citizens?
Those willing to rob, rape and murder prove they are willing to violate the law so why would this one be any different?
Gun control is a waste of already stretched gov't resources.

Rhetorical questions
So then we'd have:

"Armed gun rights activists invade black (female) senator's office to object to her proposed anti-gun legislation."

There's no good PR here.

mlands

imported post

If preemption dies,the VACCW permit as it is willbeabsolutely worthless.Imagine thefloodgates of confusingand conflicting town, city and county anti gun (or shallsay anti self defense) lawsproposed. They would be stronglysupported by the anti self defense groups andorganizations.Progun (or shall we say pro self defense) groups will be up a creek if thispasses. This ammendment needs to be squashed like a bug before it gets to Gov. Kainebecause he wouldsign it. We need to protect the preemption law onLobby Day.

Marco

imported post

2a4all wrote:
"Armed gun rights activists invade black (female) senator's office to object to her proposed anti-gun legislation."

There's no good PR here.

You must not understand what lobby day is.
Unarmed/Armed citizens will be interactive with all of our elected officials in Richmond that day.

Why should she be any different?

I'vehave relatives in PR, nice place to vacation (unarmed unfortunately) but I wouldn't want to live there.

mlands wrote:
We need to protect the preemption law onLobby Day.
1+

2a4all

imported post

Yes, preemption must be preserved, but as I said in an earlier post,
"C. Nothing in this section shall prohibit a locality from adopting an ordinance that prohibits possessing or carrying firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof in a community or recreation center, administrative building, or public library owned or operated by the locality during an official meeting of the governing body."
It would be easy to amend this bill to mandate these prohibitions as part of state law, and preserve preemption.
The backlash of bad PR could cause this to happen.

Is there an argument for NOT doing what this proposal says that promotes the public good (the general public, not just the pro-gun people) which could be made to prevail?

What is the cost of implementation and enforcement of these (local) ordinances? Would the state pay? Doubtful, with the looming current budget shortfall. Could the localities afford it? How would these efforts be funded? Sluffing these burdens off onto the localities (like the Transportation Authorities) to avoid the cost has been done before by the GA.

What can Ms Locke do to help fund any of this? Posting "No Firearms" signs at the entrance won't work. Would such signage mislead the general public into thinking that the local library is a safe place for the kids on a Saturday morning? Would patrons be subject to searches? Who will be liable for the "collateral damage" of a drug deal gone bad in the library parking lot?

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

All - please check whether your representatives are on the list at http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/20284.html

I went through the Virginia legislators' 2009 surveys to find this info; there may be more out there.

Be aware before Lobby Day of your representatives' stands where possible, please. It really helps the team leaders.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

2a4all wrote:
So then we'd have:

There's no good PR here.

No, on Lobby Day we visit EVERY possible state legislator. She'd be no different from others.

Our objective on Lobby Day is to visit every legislator and explain VCDL's position on bills that affect gun owners. There is no bad PR in explaining to Ms. Locke that we disagree with her attempt, explaining why, and asking for her understanding, if not her support.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

2a4all wrote:
T Dubya wrote:
Maybe we should visit her office on lobby day to show our displeasurefor her tyranny.
And the headlines read:

Not a good idea.

2a4all I respect you as a like-minded activist and Ihave read many of your posts and opinions.

Now with that said your reason as to why we shouldn't visit her is very wrong. We will be celebrating a day that honors Martin Luther King's legacy and you don't think we should lobby her because some of us are white and she is black. It's 2009 my friend let's drop the racialbarriers and do the right thing.

useful_idiot

Founder's Club Member
imported post

2a4all wrote:
It would be easy to amend this bill to mandate these prohibitions as part of state law, and preserve preemption.

Is there an argument for NOT doing what this proposal says that promotes the public good (the general public, not just the pro-gun people) which could be made to prevail?

What is the cost of implementation and enforcement of these (local) ordinances? Would the state pay? Doubtful, with the looming current budget shortfall. Could the localities afford it? How would these efforts be funded? Sluffing these burdens off onto the localities (like the Transportation Authorities) to avoid the cost has been done before by the GA.

What can Ms Locke do to help fund any of this? Posting "No Firearms" signs at the entrance won't work. Would such signage mislead the general public into thinking that the local library is a safe place for the kids on a Saturday morning? Would patrons be subject to searches? Who will be liable for the "collateral damage" of a drug deal gone bad in the library parking lot?
I think we should clarify what is covered by the proposed language. Reading carefully...

Localities are not being allowed to prohibit firearms in "a community or recreation center, administrative building, or public library owned or operated by the locality" across the board, but only "during an official meeting of the governing body."

In my opinion (which is free...and worth it) this language says: Localities cannot prohibit firearms in locations X, Y & Z (owned or operated by the locality) except during an official meeting of the governing body.

A previous poster placed an "and" between the "owned or operated by" clause and the "during an official meeting" clause which is not in the original language and changes the meaning dramatically.

The quandary is that this language does not attempt to "protect" library patrons, community or recreation center patrons, or employees working at (or citizens conducting business at) a local administrative building by prohibiting firearms during the normal operating hours.

The single purpose of the language is to give local government councils the option of banning firearms "during meetings of the governing body" (presumably meaning the governing body of the locality and not the rec center or library).

They (governing bodies) don't want us in their meetings because they don't like us. We make them uncomfortable. In the broadest sense they are the people who are afraid that someone will come into their meeting, get mad and shoot them. As we know, this form of projection is used by those who are afraid of losing control of their own emotions/behavior to impugn the behavior of others.

We remind them there are constituencies that are not subject to their affectations of power....who do not bleat or genuflect before them to ensure our continued protection within the herd.

Discrimination against a specific constituency...hmmm. A constituency of Virginians conducting themselves 100% within the laws of the commonwealth being excluded from the governance of a locality in the commonwealth. Allowing the "royalty" of each locality to specifically exclude a constituency from freely exercising rights protected in the commonwealth writ large because they don't like that constituency?

Local elected officials being allowed to ban constituents from exercising rights protected in the commonwealth while participating in the process of governing of the locality.

The local official fraidy cat act. The local royalty protection act. Local governments operating in a "rights free zone." The local official pansy act. Surely there must be something there we can use....

It sounds different when you insert some other fundamental right:
Nothing in this section shall prohibit a locality from adopting an ordinance that prohibits "free speech" in a community or recreation center, administrative building, or public library owned or operated by the locality during an official meeting of the governing body.
Nothing in this section shall prohibit a locality from adopting an ordinance that prohibits "freedom of the press" in a community or recreation center, administrative building, or public library owned or operated by the locality during an official meeting of the governing body.
Nothing in this section shall prohibit a locality from adopting an ordinance that prohibits "freedom from unreasonable search and seizure" in a community or recreation center, administrative building, or public library owned or operated by the locality during an official meeting of the governing body.
I'll check back later. I'm just getting warmed up.... :cool:

2a4all

imported post

T Dubya wrote:
2a4all wrote:
T Dubya wrote:
And the headlines read:

Not a good idea.

2a4all I respect you as a like-minded activist and Ihave read many of your posts and opinions.

Now with that said your reason as to why we shouldn't visit her is very wrong. We will be celebrating a day that honors Martin Luther King's legacy and you don't think we should lobby her because some of us are white and she is black. It's 2009 my friend let's drop the racialbarriers and do the right thing.
I don't write the headlines. But there are those who do/will see the perception of race here. And that doesn't help anyone's cause. (I've seen the videos of other VCDL "visits" to seats of power, and the majority of those present appeared to be white.)

In any case, don't existing gun laws violate Virginia's own constitutional prohibitions against infringement of RTKBA? Why wouldn't this proposal?

2a4all

imported post

useful_idiot wrote:
2a4all wrote:

I think we should clarify what is covered by the proposed language. Reading carefully...

Localities are not being allowed to prohibit firearms in "a community or recreation center, administrative building, or public library owned or operated by the locality" across the board, but only "during an official meeting of the governing body."

In my opinion (which is free...and worth it) this language says: Localities cannot prohibit firearms in locations X, Y & Z (owned or operated by the locality) except during an official meeting of the governing body.

A previous poster placed an "and" between the "owned or operated by" clause and the "during an official meeting" clause which is not in the original language and changes the meaning dramatically.

The quandary is that this language does not attempt to "protect" library patrons, community or recreation center patrons, or employees working at (or citizens conducting business at) a local administrative building by prohibiting firearms during the normal operating hours.

The single purpose of the language is to give local government councils the option of banning firearms "during meetings of the governing body" (presumably meaning the governing body of the locality and not the rec center or library).

They (governing bodies) don't want us in their meetings because they don't like us. We make them uncomfortable. In the broadest sense they are the people who are afraid that someone will come into their meeting, get mad and shoot them. As we know, this form of projection is used by those who are afraid of losing control of their own emotions/behavior to impugn the behavior of others.

We remind them there are constituencies that are not subject to their affectations of power....who do not bleat or genuflect before them to ensure our continued protection within the herd.

Discrimination against a specific constituency...hmmm. A constituency of Virginians conducting themselves 100% within the laws of the commonwealth being excluded from the governance of a locality in the commonwealth. Allowing the "royalty" of each locality to specifically exclude a constituency from freely exercising rights protected in the commonwealth writ large because they don't like that constituency?

Local elected officials being allowed to ban constituents from exercising rights protected in the commonwealth while participating in the process of governing of the locality.

The local official fraidy cat act. The local royalty protection act. Local governments operating in a "rights free zone." The local official pansy act. Surely there must be something there we can use....

It sounds different when you insert some other fundamental right:
Nothing in this section shall prohibit a locality from adopting an ordinance that prohibits "free speech" in a community or recreation center, administrative building, or public library owned or operated by the locality during an official meeting of the governing body.
Nothing in this section shall prohibit a locality from adopting an ordinance that prohibits "freedom of the press" in a community or recreation center, administrative building, or public library owned or operated by the locality during an official meeting of the governing body.
Nothing in this section shall prohibit a locality from adopting an ordinance that prohibits "freedom from unreasonable search and seizure" in a community or recreation center, administrative building, or public library owned or operated by the locality during an official meeting of the governing body.
I'll check back later. I'm just getting warmed up.... :cool:
Well, Useful, now you're beginning to make an argument that might be used to refute and defeat Ms Locke's proposal! :)

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Common sense is a fictional exemption to the rules of logic. A refuge for scoundrels.

My definition of "common sense": Conclusions based on analyses of information gleened from real world observations.

My Common sense tells me that not everyone is aware that there is a real worldto observe.