• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I bought a new toy today!

bordsnbikes

imported post

I understand the thought process behind getting the gun that fits you best. Just know that you can learn shoot anything with some practice. You can damn accurate with it too. You can even learn to shoot it upside down and between your legs.

richarcm

imported post

bordsnbikes wrote:
I understand the thought process behind getting the gun that fits you best. Just know that you can learn shoot anything with some practice. You can damn accurate with it too. You can even learn to shoot it upside down and between your legs.
Yeah that is true with anything. Cars, guns, golf clubs, and bowling balls. But ideally from the beginning you prefer that that fits in your hands best. Chances are you will perform best that way given the same practice that you suggest for that that does not fit perfectly in your hands.

richarcm

imported post

bordsnbikes wrote:
Yeah but people get to hung up on get what fits. Get what's best, then learn to use it.
I agree but at the same time if it doesn't fit your hands you aren't going to be able to use it the way it is intended. Not to mention if it isn't comfortable you may never decide to use it at all....you need a quality gun that you are comfortable with and fits well with your body type. a 5'0" girl shouldn't be shooting a Desert Eagle. She can practice all she wants but she's never going to be as accurate with it as she would with a sub-compact of some sort. It has to be the right gun for the right person. Just like anything else....cars, golf clubs, tennis shoes, or racing bike. You can always partially overcome some physical awkwardness and be OK with it...but never as good as a piece of equal quality that fits you properly.

bordsnbikes

imported post

richarcm wrote:
[/b]
  a 5'0" girl shouldn't be shooting a Desert Eagle.  She can practice all she wants but she's never going to be as accurate with it as she would with a sub-compact of some sort.

That's like saying a girl shouldn't be driving a lifted truck. She can't practice all she wants but she's never going to be able to drive it as well as she would a Honda Civic. It's sexist and asinine. Anyone can learn to shoot one gun as well as another, IF THEY WANT TO.

Just so you know, my friend ex-wife is 4'10" and can drive tacks at 50 yards with a .50 DE.

richarcm

imported post

bordsnbikes wrote:
That's like saying a girl shouldn't be driving a lifted truck. She can't practice all she wants but she's never going to be able to drive it as well as she would a Honda Civic. It's sexist and asinine. Anyone can learn to shoot one gun as well as another, IF THEY WANT TO.

Just so you know, my friend ex-wife is 4'10" and can drive tacks at 50 yards with a .50 DE.
Not if a girl is more comfortable driving the lifted truck. If she is more comfortable with the lifted truck then she will drive it better. How is that sexist? The same thing applies to men! If your wife is comfortable with a .50 DE then she will shoot it just fine! If she wasn't she wouldn't shoot it very well. I'm not really sure how this is debatable...LOL. Discomfort = less than optimal performance in almost any situation.

bordsnbikes

imported post

It's sexist because you said a girl shouldn't be shooting a DE. Not she shouldn't if she's not comfortable with it. Or do you mean she shouldn't because of her height? Which is equally ridiculous, just not sexist.

richarcm

imported post

bordsnbikes wrote:
It's sexist because you said a girl shouldn't be shooting a DE. Not she shouldn't if she's not comfortable with it. Or do you mean she shouldn't because of her height? Which is equally ridiculous, just not sexist.
I said a girl that is 5'0" shouldn't be shooting a gun that big. Most MEN shouldn't be shooting a gun that big. And yes the average small framed girl probably shouldn't be shooting a gun that awkward. They should be shooting something that fits better in their smaller hands. That guns is MASSIVE! I'm 6'1" and have fairly big hands. There are MANY guns that are more comfortable in my hands than that one. Part of the physics involved in shooting a gun accurately are having a solid connection between yourself and the gun so as to provide enough resistance for the action. Smaller people with smaller hands and perhaps weaker wrists will, generally speaking, not be as accurate with a larger gun as a larger person with larger hands and stronger wrists.
'
Again, is this debatable?

richarcm

imported post

You can debate this all you want the bottom line is that you are going to in almost every instance be more accurate with a quality gun that fits your hands and you are comfortable with than an quality gun that feels awkward in your hands. To get back on topic the XD9 fits very nicely in my hands AND is a quality gun. As a result i was much more confident and also much more accurate than I have been with other guns that just felt sloppy in my hands.

And on another note I took a 5'0" girl out to the range this weekend and she did very well with a Ruger 22 (which I think are hideous looking) and my 1911 45 caliber. She didn't do so well with the XD9 for whatever reason. For her small hands and small stature the 22 felt best to her. But she didn't hesitate to pick up either of the three guns and I was very proud of her. She did GREAT especially since it was her first time even holding a gun...much less shooting one.

bordsnbikes

imported post

Richarcm, I understand what your saying, I really do. But you shouldn't trust your life to an inferior gun just because it fits your hand better. Get the best gun out there and learn to shoot it. You will be better off if you ever have to use that gun.

That's unusual that she did well with the 1911 and not the XD. One of the big marketing points behind the XD's when they first came out is that they have the same grip to barrel angle as the 1911. That way it would appeal to the 1911 shooters and be a lot lighter for everyday carry. Was the XD flipping to much for her because of the lack of weight? Have her try a Glock next time, they have a lower bore axis so you won't get as much muzzle flip.

richarcm

imported post

bordsnbikes wrote:
Richarcm, I understand what your saying, I really do. But you shouldn't trust your life to an inferior gun just because it fits your hand better. Get the best gun out there and learn to shoot it. You will be better off if you ever have to use that gun.

That's unusual that she did well with the 1911 and not the XD. One of the big marketing points behind the XD's when they first came out is that they have the same grip to barrel angle as the 1911. That way it would appeal to the 1911 shooters and be a lot lighter for everyday carry. Was the XD flipping to much for her because of the lack of weight? Have her try a Glock next time, they have a lower bore axis so you won't get as much muzzle flip.

Is the XD9 in question an "inferior" gun?!?!

Dustin

imported post

bordsnbikes wrote:
Have her try a Glock next time, they have a lower bore axis so you won't get as much muzzle flip.

That's completely false.

Glocks weigh an average 21 oz. This is why Glocks have MORE recoil than heavier handguns. This is simple physics friend ;)

CZ has the lowest bore angle of any handgun I've shot/seen/handled.

AbNo

imported post

bordsnbikes wrote:
As an owner of both an XD and a 1911, I find this notion preposterous.

Either one is an excellent piece.

richarcm

imported post

AbNo wrote:
bordsnbikes wrote:
As an owner of both an XD and a 1911, I find this notion preposterous.

Either one is an excellent piece.

I think he's trying to hard to make his argument work. Every dummy knows that if you have two guns of similar quality and you have to pick one you should pick the one that you are going to be the most comfortable with. To argue that makes zero sense.

AbNo

imported post

Hell, I'm of the opinion that dedicating one's training to a single weapon seems kind of silly.

What if TEOTWAWKI happens, and your one gun is not around anymore?

Then what, huh? Huh? :lol:

richarcm

imported post

AbNo wrote:
Hell, I'm of the opinion that dedicating one's training to a single weapon seems kind of silly.

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything but I would assume that if you were that needing of more than one gun then you would get a second or a third. Preferably once again a quality gun that you are comfortable with....

Or perhaps take up martial arts? Ninja Stars? Numchucks?

eyesopened

imported post

AbNo wrote:

If you've been training with a 1911, I think it's safe to assume they'll be a couple still around at TEOTWAWKI. 1911s are like cockroaches but in the good kind of way that they'll be around after we're gone - LOL

bordsnbikes

imported post

Dustin wrote:
bordsnbikes wrote:
Have her try a Glock next time, they have a lower bore axis so you won't get as much muzzle flip.

That's completely false.

Glocks weigh an average 21 oz. This is why Glocks have MORE recoil than heavier handguns. This is simple physics friend ;)

CZ has the lowest bore angle of any handgun I've shot/seen/handled.

A lower bore axis has nothing to do with weight stud.

Once again, I have a different opinion from the rest of you folks. Maybe I shouldn't bother.