• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

can your gun be loaded as in a bullet in the chamber while oc in MI.

Brandan.45XD

imported post

I just read under Los Angeles DA Issues Notice - OC IS LEGAL!!!!

that you can carry a hand gun oc as long as its unloaded and you dont have ammo close at hand or in a way you can fire it Well my Q. is it the same in every state like Michigan or can i carry my firearm in my holster on my hip fully loaded with one in the chamber or does the law apply in mich as well.

Im new to open carrying and i want to make sure its not my last time by making a simple mistake so any advice would be appreciated I live in Michigan close to canton and ypsilanti so if anyone lives around there and know of any local laws I should know about please let me know I'd be really thankful.

Lucky

imported post

Yes, open carry in MI has the same basic purpose as having a CCW or CPL. You can have one in the chamber. California sucks if you like guns in any way.

Bronson

imported post

Brandan.45XD wrote:
I just read under Los Angeles DA Issues Notice - OC IS LEGAL!!!!

that you can carry a hand gun oc as long as its unloaded and you dont have ammo close at hand or in a way you can fire it Well my Q. is it the same in every state like Michigan or can i carry my firearm in my holster on my hip fully loaded with one in the chamber or does the law apply in mich as well.

Im new to open carrying and i want to make sure its not my last time by making a simple mistake so any advice would be appreciated I live in Michigan close to canton and ypsilanti so if anyone lives around there and know of any local laws I should know about please let me know I'd be really thankful.

Hi Brandan,

I'll point you to this excellent, informative thread http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/13328.html

Read it. Think about it. Read it again, and again.Keep thinking about it then, if all your questions aren't answered the fine folks here canhelp fill in the gaps.

Bronson

Hcidem

imported post

Carrying a loaded gun with a chambered round is legal. In other words, there is no law against doing so.

In regard to "local laws," please read the threads which address the legal issues affecting open carry in Michigan. The preemption law states that no local government may pass a law affecting the carry or possession of firearms. There are a few caveat to this.

Local governments may prohibit the discharge of firearms in their jurisdiction (such as a city or chartered township). Community and state colleges and universities are not specifically mentioned as local units of government, and are controlled by quasi-independent governing bodies, so their authority over firearms would most likely be established in court at your expense (this continues to be investigated).

If you are a student or employee of a public college, you should follow the college's policy. If you are neither of these, you should expect to be asked to leave under threat of prosecution for trespass if you refuse. If I were you, I'd avoid OCing on the U of M campus altogether; their ordinances carry the power of the law at the present.