• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Children & Guns

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Here is another example of children (they're all under 21) and guns - such a bad mix.

http://www.nbc12.com/Global/story.asp?S=9633733

Oh, did I forget to say that all but one is over 18, members of the Bloods and the one under 18 is being tried as an adult.

But they are children! They are victims of their environment! :banghead:

Yata hey

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Too bad that the environment in which they carried out the shooting wasn't full of ARMED LAC's at the time. Might not have had to hunt for them, then spend the money for trials, and imprisonment.

Dustin

imported post

It's always the parents fault.

If parents 100 years ago were paying attention to what they were supposed to, then the parents of the 50's would have been making sure the parents of the 70's, 90's and so on and so forth, etc.etc.

Kids are products of theirparents and environment.

If you don't raise them, they will indeed raise themselves, and do whatever it is they feel is necessary to survive.

It's natrual for humans to join together and converge. This is why young people with NO RASING, end up in gangs.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Dustin wrote:
It's natrual for humans to join together and converge. This is why young people with NO RASING, end up in gangs.
Not all of them. Some make excellent choices and become good citizens. I think we all know right from wrong but there is no question that good parenting helps.

Yata hey

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

These are the kids and felons that nearly everyone here wants to have unfettered access to any weapon imaginable. Sounds like a good idea to me. :quirky

Dustin

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Dustin wrote:
Not all of them. Some make excellent choices and become good citizens. I think we all know right from wrong but there is no question that good parenting helps.

Yata hey

I should have said, "ONE of the reasons" why kids end up in gangs. :p

And for AWDstylez;

Don't beat around the bush, say what you want to say.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
These are the kids and felons that nearly everyone here wants to have unfettered access to any weapon imaginable. Sounds like a good idea to me. :quirky

In alittle under two years I will magically become sane. But until then I'm just a kid with guns and should be treated like a felon I suppose? Do you suppose that banning firearms for people under 21 will magically disarm all of the gangs?

Wait... have you heard about the gang members who were over 21? What about them? Why didn't they magically become sane? Upon mention that gang members exist who are older than 21 do you now propose banning guns for all people over 21 too?

I really don't understand how you think banning good people from having guns will reduce crime. Not all people under 21 are bad people. Most good people are law abiding and thus will be disarmed if the law tells them they must be. Most criminalshave little to no adhederanceto the laws and will not care if you say they aren't allowed to have guns. Even if for some reason they did, it is no better to be murdered by knife than to be murdered by gun.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
In alittle under two years I will magically become sane. But until then I'm just a kid with guns and should be treated like a felon I suppose?

Kind of like whenat 12:00.01amon your birthday you're magically a "year" older even though you're really just a second older than the day before?:quirky That's the dumbest logic ever. A line has to be drawn somewhere and with that type of reasoning, yes, I'd completely agree you aren't mature enough for a firearm, but that's beside the point. My reference was to everyone that wants felons to own guns. Kids owning guns is another issue which is equally laughable.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

thorvaldr wrote:
Gordie wrote:
AWDstylezdoesn't have a point, he just likes to stir the pot.:p
He used to actually discuss things but now he just pops up and says "I'm anti gun, arrg" from time to time.

lol :p

I finally realized it's pointless and making sarcastic jabs at peoples' hypocrisy is easier andprobablyeven more effective.

Dom

imported post

Kids owning guns is another issue which is equally laughable.

I "owned" a .22 rifled from the time I was 12 and had BB guns before that. I wasn't even supervised with the gun and was allowed to keep it next to my bedside. How terrible my parents must have been! Somehow I scraped by with the safety lessons I was taught and didn't shoot anyone, have a negligent discharge, or even poke my eye out with it. I don't remember anyone laughing about it then, but of course we didn't have the Brady Bunch (well we did have the TV show) or AWDstylz back then.

We let 16 year olds get behind the wheel of 3000 lb machines moving at 60+ mph that kill way more people than guns, but god forbid we trust them with the scary firearm that might jump up and bite you.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Dom wrote:
We let 16 year olds get behind the wheel of 3000 lb machines moving at 60+ mph that kill way more people than guns, but god forbid we trust them with the scary firearm that might jump up and bite you.

I had an Anschutz .22 under my bed at 10, what's your point? I'm not talking about kids being allowed to use guns, supervised. I'm talking about the supposed "unlimited" right to keep and beartanks and rocket launchersthat many here think extends to infants and the wannabe little gangstas in this story.

Oh and the driving age is way too young, everyone knows that.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Dom wrote:
I had an Anschutz .22 under my bed at 10, what's your point?
Did you laugh at yourself?

AWDstylez
I'm not talking about kids being allowed to use guns, supervised. I'm talking about the supposed "unlimited" right to keep and beartanks and rocket launchersthat many here think extends to infants and the wannabe little gangstas in this story.

That's what I laugh at. comprehension > you

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It is legal for one to get their DL at age 16, but I believe it is still at the discretion of the parents or legal guardian. I can garauntee you that if my Dadhadn't thoughtI was competent enough to drive I wouldn't have gotten a DL until I was 18.

Most of the problems concerning kidscan be credited topoor parenting.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
It is legal for one to get their DL at age 16, but I believe it is still at the discretion of the parents or legal guardian. I can garauntee you that if my Dadhadn't thoughtI was competent enough to drive I wouldn't have gotten a DL until I was 18.

Most of the problems concerning kidscan be credited topoor parenting.

Good point. And most of the parents that are dumb enough to make thedecision to let incompetent kids drive at 16 can be credited to... poor parenting. lol

Over the summer last year we had a rash of <18 year old driver crashes. All of the cars were full of teenagers (including a 350Z with three people in it... it's a two seater for those that don't know) and all but the third passenger in hatch area of the Z died (irony or luck?).

So let's analyze who's most at fault here.

The first crash was a 16-18 year old (don't recall) driving a WRX with three passengers that took out a telephone pole at 100+mph.Everyone died. Hmm... I wonder if his parents bought him that too-fast-for-a-16-year-old car?

The second crash was less than a month later, 16-18 year old (still don't recall) driving a... WRX STi, modified no less. Huge front mount is clearly visible in the crash photos. Again, it was full to capacity. This time they took out an on-comingUHaul truck at, again, 100+mph. Everyone died, again. Hmm... I wonder if that 16 year old bought himself a $30K+, way too fast car...or was it his parents?

Third crash about a week after the second, 17 year old driving daddy's 350Z with a passenger and one kid laying in the hatch area. Went off the highway and hit a tree at... 100+mph, what a surprise. Everyone but the ghetto, trunk area passenger died. Who's idea was it to let him take that too fast car for a rip? Hmm... couldn't have been the parents.

So how does this relate to OC? In two ways. The way that comes to mind the most is that after these crashes, everyone around here refers to WRX's as "those cars killing all those kids." Yes, folks, you heard that right... it's the car's fault. :quirky Just like people don't kill people, evil guns kill people. :quirky

The second way is less obvious but ties in to a recent argument. You agree with me that it's the job of the PARENTS to keep their kids reined in and prevent them from doing stupid stuff. Why is it the parents' job? Because the kids are too stupid and too immature. Those kids probably drove like assholes a thousand times before, and figured, "hey I can get away with it, no one got hurt" (marshaul is lurking and already crying because he's knows this one is going to own him hard), so they just kept doing it. Then they did it one time to many, and a lot of people got hurt. There are STILL people driving around with "RIP *name ofpassenger*" written on their windows. So folks, this is why it's the job of those in authority to keep control of those too stupid to control themselves. This is why "victimless crimes" are indeed arrestable offenses (like blasting down the road at 1,000,000mph or firing shots into the air). Because when stupid kids have stupid parents there's no one but the government to keep them in check. And when stupid kids become stupid adults, there's no one but the government to keep them in check. That's the reality of the world we live in. Stupid people are out there and they aren't going away. If you're unable (or in the libertarian case, completely unwilling and refusing) to catch their stupidity before it hurts someone, then someone IS going to get hurt and you can't undo the hurt.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
My reference was to everyone that wants felons to own guns.
Your reference may have been only to felonsbut in your postyou mentioned "kids and felons." The thread was about people under 21, so I didn't get that you were only referring to felons.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
My reference was to everyone that wants felons to own guns.
Your reference may have been only to felonsbut in your postyou mentioned "kids and felons." The thread was about people under 21, so I didn't get that you were only referring to felons.
As I said, kids owning guns is a side issue. You obviously missed it, but there was a thread in which a large number of people were claiming that "unlimited" keep and bear should extend to everyone, right down to birth. That was included in my "laughing at" post. People that say thataccomplish two things: that keep and bear is, indeed, NOT unlimited, and secondly, they make us all look bad (just the felon advocates).