• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LETTER TO THE EDITOR

Wrote a letter to the editor of a Wisconsin newpaper

• Yes I have written and it wasnt published

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes I have written and it was published

• No I havent written anything

• Hey this is a good idea I WILL write

• No I havent written and dont plan on it

• Total voters

KiLLaDaTa

imported post

Something that i think we need to do alot more of. Including myself but I am just curious how many people do anything else but come on here and talk about the OC issue in WI because we can state laws and statues all day long but the fact of the matter is that our 2A rights will keep being oppressed until we do something more perhaps make a massive GROUP effort to get something done like instead of one person writting to a newpaper or congress man we all do i know that sounds alot like a petition but if the media sees a large amount of letters pour in of course they dont HAVE to publish any of it and can word it how they want but the fact of the matter is it will be read by people and people will become aware it is legal and then when they see someone walking down the street OCing they may think of that article before calling the police. education is key here and i admit i still need to learn more about what has happened in the past to get the knowledge out to the citizens that OCing is legal and not to over-react but obviously it didnt work.

since this is my first post i guess i will say something about myself I am in the Military have driven over 8000 miles through Iraq in convoy line hauls and am a Wisconsin resident i joined the military to serve my country and have our rights as Americans preserved not infringed upon and this is what made me have a interest in the constitution and our freedoms as Americans i am still a neophyte in this area but i am most definetly here to help.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

How much experience writing letters to the editor have you and that suggests that such letters are effective?

Traditionally much of a newsrag's governance is set by the editorial board that may be made up of pretty much whoever the publisher wants. They set the editorial policy quite according to their whims. The reporters then must then toe the line and may not even be on the board.

If your Letter to the Editor, however well researched and written, doesn't please the reporter assigned to the LtE column then it will not be published. If it is published then the reporter may edit your work, even into nonsense. If one of your letters is published then the next one may violate a fair access policy and be spiked for frequency - too many letters from one subscriber would never do!

One of my proudest moments came when the Letters Editor at the Charleston Posted & Currying announced that she found me, unmet, "personally offensive". I never had a letter again published by the P&C in spite of being acquainted with many of the board. Barbara McDowell has since retired and the LtE have not improved. I read them every day.

I also read the Door County Advocate weekly and weakly. What a POS.

KiLLaDaTa

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
How much experience writing letters to the editor have you and that suggests that such letters are effective?

Traditionally much of a newsrag's governance is set by the editorial board that may be made up of pretty much whoever the publisher wants. They set the editorial policy quite according to their whims. The reporters then must then toe the line and may not even be on the board.

If your Letter to the Editor, however well researched and written, doesn't please the reporter assigned to the LtE column then it will not be published. If it is published then the reporter may edit your work, even into nonsense. If one of your letters is published then the next one may violate a fair access policy and be spiked for frequency - too many letters from one subscriber would never do!

One of my proudest moments came when the Letters Editor at the Charleston Posted & Currying announced that she found me, unmet, "personally offensive". I never had a letter again published by the P&C in spite of being acquainted with many of the board. Barbara McDowell has since retired and the LtE have not improved. I read them every day.

I also read the Door County Advocate weekly and weakly. What a POS.
HA-HA unmet personally offensive, were you? or just veryupsetabout the way our rights are being neglected; like aproud American should be? anyway i like pointman's idea and i am going to focus on that i think it is exactly what we need! alittle organization

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

KiLLaDaTa wrote:
anyway i like pointman's idea and i am going to focus on that i think it is exactly what we need! alittle organization
And what is that idea? Be careful of 'little organizations' because they are usually seen as needing leaders and that is just what the controversy here is about, who will be more equal than the others.

We have this forum of more or less like minded folks. Coordinated action is the desired result of leadership. Throw a good idea up on the wall and if it sticks then we can all follow up. If it doesn't no foul, no harm.

We have a good example if you will follow the 'county resolution' topic. A good idea but it became somebody's rice-bowl and was corrupted by self-interest.