• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Assault Rifles"

Lax5

imported post

I am planning on moving to washington, but currently have an "assault rifle."

Would someone mind outlining Washington State's Assault Weapon laws, or list some websites with information?

Thank You

cynicist

imported post

If it's not full auto, you should be fine.

Look up RCW 9.41, go over the chapter. It's WA firearms laws. You should familiarize yourself with them, and if you stay on this forum, you can't help but do so.

just_a_car

imported post

As mentioned, no full auto firearms.

Also, no short-barreled rifles or shotguns.

"Any Other Weapons", Destructive Devices, and Sound Suppressors ("silencers") are legal, but sound suppressors are illegal to "use" on a firearm. Yes, that is a stupid law.

As far as what California or NY consider "Assault Rifles", WA makes no such distinction, nor has any laws regarding such.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
"Any Other Weapons", Destructive Devices, and Sound Suppressors ("silencers") are legal, but sound suppressors are illegal to "use" on a firearm. Yes, that is a stupid law.
I agree dumb law, but a guy at a gun show pointed out to me that you can own it here travel to a state that doesn't outlaw it and use them there. Still retarded but at least we have that oppurtunity.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Lax5 wrote:
I am planning on moving to washington, but currently have an "assault rifle."

Would someone mind outlining Washington State's Assault Weapon laws, or list some websites with information?

Thank You
There are none.
If you have a federally registered NFA item things are different, but for a so-called semi auto "assault rifle" there is no problem. Also see the FAQ's number 16 and 17.

adamsesq

imported post

Maybe we can help a bit more specific to your case if you tell us more about what your weapon is and why you call it an "Assault Weapon?"

-adamsesq

David.Car

imported post

holepoker wrote:
David.Car wrote:
just_a_car wrote:
Also, no short-barreled rifles or shotguns.
Wait... This is first I am hearing of this. As long as you have your tax stamp you are fine?
Not able to own in Washington. ATF will not issue to someone in or moving to WA
1. Guess you learn something every day...

2. BOOOOOO!!!!

jchen012

imported post

In WA, you can not have a SBR or an attached supressor. That is basically it. You can have all the other goodies like pistol grip, flash supressor, collapsible stock, and detachable mags. Also there is no round limit in mags here.

BTW in WA, you can have a AOW shotgun. Like this one:

aow_mariner.jpg

just_a_car

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
You can have an attached suppressor. You just can't *use* it.
+1.

In other words, once you utilize a device or contrivance to suppress the noise of a firearm, you have committed a gross misdemeanor via RCW 9.41.250 (2)(c).

Now, oddly enough, there's no exemption for LEO or military built into that code. That's Agent47's (pretty valid) argument that it's supposed to be for non-registered sound suppressors, like pop bottles or the like. Though I think he has a strong argument, I certainly wouldn't want to be a test case.