Thread: Virginia hunting deaths up in 2008-09

Post imported post

Virginia hunting deaths up in 2008-09

The Associated Press
    © January 8, 2009

RICHMOND

It has been a deadly season for hunters in Virginia.

According to the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, the state recorded nine hunting deaths since the start of the fiscal year in 2008. That's the most since the 1994-95 season when 12 hunters were killed. There were two in 2007-08.

The 2008-09 deaths are through Saturday, which marked the close of the general firearms season for deer.

Department spokeswoman Julia Dixon said five of the nine death were self-inflicted. She said a consistent theme in those deaths involved the movement of firearms — through woods, for example. A weapon's safety should be on until a hunter is prepared to shoot.

The hunting toll did not include the drowning of two duck hunters in late December.

Link: http://hamptonroads.com/2009/01/virg...-deaths-200809
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitableand let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come . PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    Virginia hunting deaths up in 2008-09

2 words - muzzle control
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

Yeah, that's just a massive epidemic. :?

But yeah, muzzle control would be a good start. Keeping the safety on until you are ready to use the firearm isn't a bad idea either.

Post imported post

while "self inflicted" are bad, there were really only 3 deaths that involved another person dying.

Post imported post

Very sad to see those kinds of statistics. Loaded, with safety off is not a good way to go hunting.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitableand let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come . PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Along the same topic, anyone have a recommendation of a good hunting message forum? I haven't been since I was a kid and am getting back into it.

edit to add - I've already reviewed all the state/county laws I can find. Just looking for a good message board to explain a few details.