• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia hunting deaths up in 2008-09

Thundar

imported post

Virginia hunting deaths up in 2008-09

The Associated Press
© January 8, 2009

RICHMOND

It has been a deadly season for hunters in Virginia.

According to the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, the state recorded nine hunting deaths since the start of the fiscal year in 2008. That's the most since the 1994-95 season when 12 hunters were killed. There were two in 2007-08.

The 2008-09 deaths are through Saturday, which marked the close of the general firearms season for deer.

Department spokeswoman Julia Dixon said five of the nine death were self-inflicted. She said a consistent theme in those deaths involved the movement of firearms — through woods, for example. A weapon's safety should be on until a hunter is prepared to shoot.

The hunting toll did not include the drowning of two duck hunters in late December.

Link: http://hamptonroads.com/2009/01/virginia-hunting-deaths-200809

darthmord

imported post

Yeah, that's just a massive epidemic. :?

But yeah, muzzle control would be a good start. Keeping the safety on until you are ready to use the firearm isn't a bad idea either.

hsmith

imported post

while "self inflicted" are bad, there were really only 3 deaths that involved another person dying.

DHCruiser

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Along the same topic, anyone have a recommendation of a good hunting message forum? I haven't been since I was a kid and am getting back into it.

edit to add - I've already reviewed all the state/county laws I can find. Just looking for a good message board to explain a few details.