• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Countries that allow Firearms

bordsnbikes

imported post

What countries allow their people to own firearms in a majority? Such as the US. even though that is diminishing.

Australia you need to show just cause (or something to that effect) for owning one. Such as hunting and collecting. Canada has a lot of restrictions it seems.

So aside from crap holes with little to no government and/or enforcement (ie Mexico, Somalia, Iraq, Niger)what countries allow them?

Brigdh

imported post

I could be completely wrong on any claims here:

Israel. If you carry, you cannot have a round in the chamber

Switzerland. Every household is required to have a firearm, but citizens keep their issued arms after a 2 years mandatory service

bordsnbikes

imported post

I don't think that's a law in Israel anymore, but I don't know for sure. It come about originally because they had crappy weapons that did go off when dropped, and sometimes because the wind changed direction. That's where the term "Israeli carry" came from.

Way to go Switzerland! Way to kick ass and be awesome! I wish I could have kept my M-4 when I got out.

Michigander

imported post

Switzerland as mentioned, and I believe Norway if I remember right, are basically organized like the US is supposed to be with a system of armed citizens, but they have much tighter regulations about storage, and as I recall, they don't allow most people to carry.

crotalus01

imported post

Switzerland, Finland, Norway, Israel, Afghanistan, Yemen, Iraq, Somalia, Pakistan, Croatia, Montenegro, Serbia, Albania. I'm sure there are more but those are the ones I can think of at the moment.

Flyer22

imported post

Art Bell live in the Philippines for a littlewhile, and almostEVERYBODY carried a gun. That included weapons that are illegal here, such as sawed-off shotguns. He talked about going into restaurants wheresome of the waitstaffwould be armed.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I went to the philippines in 2003. We went to the big mall on Cebu island. me and about 12 others went up to the money changing counter, and the rent-a-cop cocked his sawed off 12-gauge and aimed it at us (from the hip). I prayed the whole time that kid didn't sneeze and maim/kill us all.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
I went to the philippines in 2003. We went to the big mall on Cebu island. me and about 12 others went up to the money changing counter, and the rent-a-cop cocked his sawed off 12-gauge and aimed it at us (from the hip). I prayed the whole time that kid didn't sneeze and maim/kill us all.

Isn't that how everyone wants it to be here? I thought an armed society is a polite society? And all that freedom and risk stuff... and innate rights...

PaulBlart

Banned
imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:

Isn't that how everyone wants it to be here? I thought an armed society is a polite society? And all that freedom and risk stuff... and innate rights...
i agree only us cops should be armed.

KS_to_CA

imported post

KansasMustang wrote:
Okay so what is the violent crime rate in the Phillipines, IE armed robbery, rape, murder? Anyone know?
Not more than what we have in the US. And not more violent than what we see here. Furthermore, they hang people there. There are about a dozen or two "henious crimes" where you will get the death penalty once convicted, no need for a sentencing hearing.

kerchaulk

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:

An armed society with trigger discipline, please.

Slayer of Paper

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:

That doesn't sound like and "Armed Society" to me. It sounds more like the person in authority was the only one that was armed, and the regular citizens (subjects) were put at risk because of it, with no way to defend themselves. Seems more like the OPPOSITE of an Armed Society.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Slayer of Paper wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:

That doesn't sound like and "Armed Society" to me. It sounds more like the person in authority was the only one that was armed, and the regular citizens (subjects) were put at risk because of it, with no way to defend themselves. Seems more like the OPPOSITE of an Armed Society.

The better situation would be that they had guns too and it could have been a stand-off? An armed society is not a polite society because guns aren't the solution to all problems. That's the point I was making. You can't shoot someone because you get into an argument with them.