• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Univ. Question

The_Mossad

imported post

Hello. First post here.

I wanted to know if you can OC at the University of Wyoming, Laramie? I can contact the campus, however think I may get a bias answer considering the leftist that run lower education institutes in this country. Thought I would ask here and get a more truthful answer.

Great board. Lots of good reads.

Thanks in advance.

BenjaminHare

imported post

Just spoke to the Albany County Sheriff's Department and the Laramie Police Department. The PD confirmed for me that UW is off limits for open carry and suggested I call the campus to ask about concealed carry. The Police Department also suggested I should steer clear of the campus area, since OC in that area will be more likely generate calls.

Personally, I've OCed downtown (on 3rd and some areas of Grand Ave.) with no problems. My OC is a massive 357 revolver so it's hard to miss. Never had any run in with Laramie PD although I have had a few police cruisers drive by very slowly. I waved and they waved back.

Albany County Sheriff's Department

http://www.superpages.com/bp/Laramie-WY/Albany-County-Sheriff-L2064634637.htm

City of Laramie Police Department

http://www.superpages.com/bp/Laramie-WY/Laramie-City-Police-Department-L2064634707.htm

The_Mossad

imported post

I appreciate your feedback very much. Great info. I will certainly follow the law and not carry on campus, however I must admit that I realy don't care if the police get a bunch of calls from people in the area just because they do not know the law. It is far more importantfor me to defend myself with my weapon than to worry about the police getting phone calls.

What is unfortunate is that I can't carry on campus. It is this very place where I worry the most. It is so illogical to me. What a great place to go and commit a crime when you know there are plenty of people around to hurt/kill and non of them are armed.

Problem is I then risk being booted from school, costing me money and an education.

In the end, it is nothing more than a calculated risk that I am forced into.

The_Mossad

imported post

Yes I am over 21.

Called campus police and they said UW is "a completely gun free campus"...

no open carry

no concealed carry

I asked about those who live on campus housing and they said the UW police department will "store your gun in a safe place".

I also asked if this included UW sports events and it did.

In summary: no guns allowed under any circumstances. I'll look into starting something up once I get there.

The-Fly

imported post

Just a heads up. According to Wyoming State Law 6-8-104, all schools and universities in the state are "gun free" zones, period.

The_Mossad

imported post

Yes, I actually found that law after I posted the question. Thanks for the info. though.

jbowers24

imported post

The-Fly wrote:
Just a heads up. According to Wyoming State Law 6-8-104, all schools and universities in the state are "gun free" zones, period.
I believe there is some wiggle room with"written consent" at the University level, but of course he's already spoken with the folks at UW.

mattman

imported post

There is actually a movement to allow concealed carry on campus. Check out the website http://www.concealedcampus.org
They have a group on facebook, and are activly pushing legislation in many states to allow CC on campus. They are currently looking for a campus leader, so maybe you could fill the void. If you do, let me know. mringer@uwyo.edu(I would be a Campus leader, but hold 2 jobs while trying to finish my education)
I know its not open carry, but its a start in the right direction.

Tosta Dojen

imported post

The-Fly wrote:
I checked that section, and it appears to forbid only concealed carry:

(t) No permit issued pursuant to this section or any permit issued from any other state shall authorize any person to carry a concealed firearm into:

[...]

(vi) Any school, college or professional athletic event not related to firearms;

[...]

(x) Any college or university facility without the written consent of the security service of the college or university;
Do you have a cite dealing with openly carried firearms?

AB

imported post

6-8-104. (t) No permit issued pursuant to this section or any permit issued from any other state shall authorize any person to carry a concealed firearm into;(x) Any college or university facility without the written consent of the security service of the college or university.

It only states you must get written consent, nothing about a gun-ban or giving the college powers over and above the legislature.

There is nothing in the state constitution or in the state statutes - Title 21, that gives any state college or University, the power to make gun law, Wyoming gun laws are preempted by the state legislature - Period. (that includes OC)

They are only doing this because we let them, WyGO is committed to Campus-Carry in Wyoming and we are actively working to fix it.

If you want to help, join WyGO
http://wyominggunowners.org/join/

Also join Students for Concealed Carry on Campus
http://concealedcampus.org/

[line]
Below a response from UW Police to a student:

Dear Ms. XXXX:
I have received your communication regarding your ability to carry a concealed weapon on campus. Assuming you intended your email as a request, your request is denied. Wyoming law and UW Regulations prohibit this activity. I urge you to review UW Reg 178 3(g) (ix) which you will find at http://www.uwyo.edu/generalcounsel/.

Under the provisions of UW Reg. 178, you are required to have written consent to carry a concealed weapon on campus. The University's approach is to decline permission absent a reason based on safety. Failure to comply with the Regulation will subject you to sanctions including student discipline, a prohibition from being on campus and sanctions under Wyoming law.

For your convenience, I am providing you with the language contained in UW Reg. 178 3(g) (ix) below.
Sincerely,
Michael J. Samp

UW Regulation 178
(ix) No dangerous weapon may be stored or carried in or upon University facilities. “Dangerous weapon” means any firearm, ammunition, explosives, martial arts weapons including stars, swords, nunchucks, clubs etc. Dangerous weapons also include those listed in the University’s Student’s Rights and Responsibilities for Residence Halls and Dining Services. Any person carrying a dangerous weapon in or upon any University facility is required to relinquish the weapon to the UW Police Department voluntarily or upon request. The weapon will be returned when the person leaves University facilities, unless the UW Police Department determines that the weapon should be retained in an investigation. If a person carrying a dangerous weapon refuses to relinquish the weapon, the person shall be denied access to University facilities. Nothing in this paragraph prevents the carrying of weapons (1) by authorized Peace Officers as defined and authorized by Wyoming Statutes, (2) by individuals directly transporting weapons to and from the weapons storage facility and off University facilities, or (3) pursuant to official University business and University approved activities, including activities conducted by ROTC cadets under the direct and immediate supervision of ROTC faculty members, activities conducted by registered student organizations with the explicit permission of the Vice President of Student Affairs, and other University activities carrying explicit permission of the responsible vice president. University students, faculty, and staff may be subject to disciplinary action for violation of this paragraph. All persons violating this paragraph may be subject to sanctions in accordance with Wyoming law.