• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Indoor Range - near Richmond?

rgc

imported post

I represent a group of investors and industry experts looking to open a new indoor range and training center just north of Richmond. We'd like to hear from the industry "shooters" about what types shooting you'd like to see in a new facility.

Respond here or email me anytime, thanks!

jhall@teamasg.com

rgc

imported post

Love to. Email me privately your # and I'll call you early next week.

Thanks.

W.E.G.

imported post

Allow draw-from-holster.

Do not require some stupid table to be between the shooter and the target.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

+1 on allowing draw-from-the-holster at shooting stations.

If your insurance/liability concerns require that patrons only use ammo bought from you, do not jack the price up well above your quantity-discount price. We know you also have to pay shipping, and that there is an expense in storing all that ammo, but we still also know what Wally World charges us for WWB and we get upset.

Speaking of allowed amo - allow JHP. We know it creates additional problems with lead abatement, but it's what we carry for SD and we want to practice with it.

Reactive targets. Bring back bowling pin matches and dueling-tree matches. Can you bring in a car body (OK, just the front seat & dashboard) for carjacking defense skills building? I'm not in favor of the IPSIC/IDPA "games" but what is called practical shooting (looser rules, less formailty) is good training.

Be a source for good leather Open Carry holsters - not duty gear. You don't need to stock them although that would be fantastic. Just help us find ones that fit our guns and look pretty.

Reasonable transfer fees if you are going to handle transfers. If you don't want to do them just say so instead of charging outrageous fees.

Think of the children! Schedule some activities for kids so they can be introduced to the shooting sports.

Hope I have not overwhelmed you, because there is a lot more. This will do for starters.

stay safe, and thanks for thinking about opening a new range.

skidmark

rgc

imported post

This is great! Keep the ideas coming, as this is kinda stuff we need to hear about to make good business decisions planning a range for the folks who will use it the most.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Richmond has been needing a range for quite awhile! Glad to hear someone is considering opening one.

spitfyr

imported post

skidmark wrote:
If your insurance/liability concerns require that patrons only use ammo bought from you, do not jack the price up well above your quantity-discount price. We know you also have to pay shipping, and that there is an expense in storing all that ammo, but we still also know what Wally World charges us for WWB and we get upset.

Speaking of allowed amo - allow JHP. We know it creates additional problems with lead abatement, but it's what we carry for SD and we want to practice with it.
+1 to these. I would rather pay a higher shooter fee to practice with the JHPs I carry than pay Dominions prices ($8 to shoot + their FMJs marked up 175%)

IIRC the indoor range in Colonial Heights is like that. Shooter fee is $10 if you buy their ammo or $20 if you bring your own.

spitfyr

imported post

rgc wrote:
looking to open a new indoor range and training center just north of Richmond
Forgot to mention this sounds like a great location. I know I would go there every time I went to Green Top or Gander Mtn. More of a reason to make the trip for those of us who live south of the river.

essayons

imported post

Allow rifle calibers. I know it is much more costly to build a range that will hold up to rifles, but tactical rifles are the fastest selling guns at the moment, and all those people need somewhere to shoot. 100 yd benchrest sight-in ranges don't allow a shooter to practically train with their rifle. It will also allow you to hold 3-gun matches, which are very popular.

curtiswr

imported post

I'm really not sure what to recommend, other than maybe just go to Dominion and take note of their lighting, pricing, temperature control, and just overall atmosphere and do the opposite.

Armed

imported post

+1 for draw, 100 yds, rifle calibers, kids time, reactive targets, and bring your own ammo!

Would also like to see a somewhat upscale environment. While I don't consider that a necessity - it is nice to have good lighting and more of a club-like atmosphere.

Don't know quite how to word this.... but I don't like going to a range to be shooting next to a group of gang-bangers.

Would be nice to incorporate or facilitate some social events as well. Networking with other like-minded folks is always good.

Any chance you could also incorporate some outdoor shooting facilities? Skeet anyone?

useful_idiot

Founder's Club Member
imported post

curtiswr wrote:
I'm really not sure what to recommend, other than maybe just go to Dominion and take note of their lighting, pricing, temperature control, and just overall atmosphere and do the opposite.

That right there is funny. :cool:

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If you are anyone else is going to build a range in North Richmond, I suspect Hanover County offiicials would be receptive to the idea.

My thoughts,

• Make it big
  • Keep it clean
  • Enforce rules
  • Fair prices
  • Indoor rifle range

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Doubtful......Bass Pro was supposed to have a range and it was shot down.
Really? I did not know that. Well, if their were another proposal for a range in Hanover maybe the interested proprietor should seek help from the Virginia Citizens Defense League.

Infidel

imported post

rgc wrote:
I represent a group of investors and industry experts looking to open a new indoor range and training center just north of Richmond. We'd like to hear from the industry "shooters" about what types shooting you'd like to see in a new facility.

Respond here or email me anytime, thanks!

jhall@teamasg.com
Allow "Member Owners", I would gladly put up my money to invest ( what little I can). Provide "Member Owners" with discounts or other ammenities. Kind of like a the way credit unions work;you own it, you use it, you benefit from it.

richarcm

imported post

Definitely cater to youth and women. Without them the movement is dead and eventually so is your business. Provide youth and female specific gun instruction, sell youth and female specific firearms and accessories/clothing.

Temperature control would be nice. Where I go now it is FREEZING during the winter and HOT AS HELENS during the summer. Makes my stay shorter and also your revenue.

Offer a free trial of sorts for newbies! Many times I have asked people to come shoot with me that weren't sure how they felt about guns and they balked at the cost to shoot. When you don't know if you like something you aren't going to pay for it. The movement and your business NEED to be successful at recruitment. Free trials will also give someone like me the incentive to come try out your facility, hopefully fall in love with it and forgo closer ranges in favor of your own. And it would be nice to easily bring in new people to see how they feel about guns. Once they are hooked (like the date I took out last night) they will want to come back and will think little of paying to play.

Don't close too early on Sundays. It's easier for me to go shooting on Sunday than on Monday. I'm less tired. It doesn't make sense, to me, to have my range close at 5pm on Sunday and stay open until 10pm on Monday.

Give back to the community. Help create a positive image of gun owners and gun shops not just maintain neutrality through avoiding negative encounters.