• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SoCal OCers

KS_to_CA

imported post

Yup! You guys from SoCal, do you think an Open Carry get together would be a nice way to start the year?

It would be nice to hear from those who have previous experience. I am sure a number of OCers are also interested in joining one.

Anyone?

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I don't believe we have enough support to arrange a SoCal meet up.

I would be more than willing to attend! Even tried once or twice to get something up.

KS_to_CA

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
There have been a couple of Open Carry lunch get togethers down in San Diego. They were put together by one of the CalGuns.net guys.

I think they have one coming up end of this month sometime.

Check here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=142973&highlight=san+diego+open+carry

Thanks for the info. I went to CG website and some of the guys are asking we hold lunches until after Nordyke (Jan 15th). I guess it is to avoid any undue influence from a media once somebody gets "busted" by an LEO for UOC.

Decoligny

imported post

KS_to_CA wrote:
Decoligny wrote:
There have been a couple of Open Carry lunch get togethers down in San Diego. They were put together by one of the CalGuns.net guys.

Check here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=142973&highlight=san+diego+open+carry

Thanks for the info. I went to CG website and some of the guys are asking we hold lunches until after Nordyke (Jan 15th). I guess it is to avoid any undue influence from a media once somebody gets "busted" by an LEO for UOC.

There will be no arrests at the San Diego Lunch. The first one was coordinated with the San Diego PD and they had a few plain clothes dectectives watching and had a few squad cars roaming the block. There were a few "citizens" who got a little upset but nothing happened. For thesecond one, we invited the head detective, but he couldn't make it due to other commitments. He wants us to try to have this open carry lunch on a regular basis.

Since the SDPD is fully aware of the legality, and have pretty much sanctioned the lunches, I think they are a good thing.

Gene is the one who asked people not to Open Carry until after Nordyke. But he has clarified that to mean not open carrying by your self in controversial areas that might bring "bad attention".

I personally am not changing my carry habits, as where I live (rural Kern County) it is not a problem.

KS_to_CA

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
KS_to_CA wrote:
Decoligny wrote:

There will be no arrests at the San Diego Lunch. The first one was coordinated with the San Diego PD and they had a few plain clothes dectectives watching and had a few squad cars roaming the block. There were a few "citizens" who got a little upset but nothing happened. For thesecond one, we invited the head detective, but he couldn't make it due to other commitments. He wants us to try to have this open carry lunch on a regular basis.

Since the SDPD is fully aware of the legality, and have pretty much sanctioned the lunches, I think they are a good thing.

Gene is the one who asked people not to Open Carry until after Nordyke. But he has clarified that to mean not open carrying by your self in controversial areas that might bring "bad attention".

I personally am not changing my carry habits, as where I live (rural Kern County) it is not a problem.
Oh I see. Thanks for the clarification.

KandyRedCoi

imported post

my friends and i will be at the insight shooting range in cerritos ca today at around 7pm feel free to come by and share some Open Carry knowledge with us

ill be the short bald filipino with a fullsize kimber :D

VigilanceOfFreedom

imported post

I'm available (nearly) every Sunday for an open carry meet. If you decide to organize one please post the date and time here so all socal carriers can meet up. I'm still working on getting my gun back, but will attend an open carry meeting anyway. After reviewing the California knife laws, it appears the open carry of a regular sheathed sword, is legal (i.e. katana, broadsword, etc... ). Granted this will probably not be the best idea, has anyone else looked this up before?

Decoligny wrote:
There will be no arrests at the San Diego Lunch. The first one was coordinated with the San Diego PD and they had a few plain clothes dectectives watching and had a few squad cars roaming the block.

Anyone an acquaintance of / friends with / LAPD officers or leaders to help orchestrate such an LA event along with the local sheriff and PD? We're all lawful citizens here, and it would be nice to inform both the general public as well as the local police before, during and after the lunch to ensure the event's safety and effectiveness.

Decoligny

imported post

VigilanceOfFreedom wrote:
I'm available (nearly) every Sunday for an open carry meet. If you decide to organize one please post the date and time here so all socal carriers can meet up. I'm still working on getting my gun back, but will attend an open carry meeting anyway. After reviewing the California knife laws, it appears the open carry of a regular sheathed sword, is legal (i.e. katana, broadsword, etc... ). Granted this will probably not be the best idea, has anyone else looked this up before?

Decoligny wrote:
There will be no arrests at the San Diego Lunch. The first one was coordinated with the San Diego PD and they had a few plain clothes dectectives watching and had a few squad cars roaming the block.

Anyone an acquaintance of / friends with / LAPD officers or leaders to help orchestrate such an LA event along with the local sheriff and PD? We're all lawful citizens here, and it would be nice to inform both the general public as well as the local police before, during and after the lunch to ensure the event's safety and effectiveness.
Knife laws, unlike gun laws arent subject to state preemption, so watch out for local ordinances.

I believe Los Angeles County has a prohibition on open carry of knives over a certain length. IIRC it doesn't cover pocket knives carried concealed, so the 18" folder concealedshould be legal.

Los Angeles County Code

13.62.020 Carrying knives and daggers in plain view prohibited.

Knife or dagger is defined as any knife having a blade of three inches or more in length; any spring-blade, switch-blade or snap-blade knife; any knife any blade of which is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device; any ice pick or similar sharp stabbing tool; any straight-edge razor or any razor blade fitted to a handle.

mjones

imported post

Bah, I would totally commit to 2 of us for the evening but we're headed out of the country for a week that same night :(

pullnshoot25

imported post

On the Calguns.net forum there is an OC meeting being spearheaded by gir007 and helped by elsensei (my brother) and myself and we are looking to get that one cool detective from the first OC lunch and possibly a small film crew. Both calguns.net and opencarry.org will be notified of this one for sure.

ib12025a

imported post

In Sight shoot range is in the city of Artesia, not Cerritos. Watch out for the Arta and Chivas gangsters (Artesia gangs)as you go inside. It would be a tradgedy if they opened fire on an OC'er, exercising their rights,who couldn't load fast enough. Use you brain and just be very careful.

Decoligny

imported post

ib12025a wrote:
In Sight shoot range is in the city of Artesia, not Cerritos. Watch out for the Arta and Chivas gangsters (Artesia gangs)as you go inside. It would be a tradgedy if they opened fire on an OC'er, exercising their rights,who couldn't load fast enough. Use you brain and just be very careful.
?

ib12025a

imported post

KandyRedCoi wrote:
my friends and i will be at the insight shooting range in cerritos ca today at around 7pm feel free to come by and share some Open Carry knowledge with us

Decoligny

imported post

ib12025a wrote:
KandyRedCoi wrote:

Going crosseyed, I missed the original post that you were referring to.

It is considered good form to quote the post so that others don't have to search for a reference.