• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to OC

luna_man22

imported post

I just wanted tointroduce myself, as i didn't find the place to do so.

I live in the Hampton Roads area, I am originally from California and am new to the whole OC thing. I have been OCing since I found out about it a month ago. Well I just wanted to say hey and I am looking forward to reading some good info on here.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

luna_man22 wrote:
I just wanted tointroduce myself, as i didn't find the place to do so.

I live in the Hampton Roads area, I am originally from California and am new to the whole OC thing. I have been OCing since I found out about it a month ago. Well I just wanted to say hey and I am looking forward to reading some good info on here.

Welcome to the forum. I am very glad to hear of your recent escape from enemy held territory.

I think you will find your stay here in Virginia to be of very high quality medicinal value. But as always, where firearms in general and OC in particular are involved, not everyone has gotten the memo yet, do be careful.

Since you are in Hampton Roads area, I recommend you locate and buy a person voice recorder to carry when you are out OCing. If you see any LEOs around you, turn on the recorder. DO not tell people you are carrying the recorder.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Since you are in Hampton Roads area, I recommend you locate and buy a person voice recorder to carry when you are out OCing. If you see any LEOs around you, turn on the recorder. DO not tell people you are carrying the recorder.

Isnt that a bit of an overdramatic suggestion? I'd much rather see a new resident to Va.enhancing his skills like more range time, taking a class on Va law, meeting fellow gun owners, joining the VCDL/NRA/GOA etc.....you are starting him off with the ol' 'be fearful of the police and carry a tape recorder' suggestion?

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I wouldn't take that as bad advice anywhere you go, Pro-S. There are enough known issues here that I personally make the recommendation for people who open carry anywhere. Interactions with police are only one type of interactiona person might have to record while open carrying.

Since the practice of open carrying has become rare in many places those of us who open carry would be wise to understand that there are times we may be addressed on the issue and sometimes evidence of the address is a good thing to have. :)

Marco

imported post

ProShooter wrote: snip/edit
Hawkflyer wrote: snip
I recommend you locate and buy a personal voice recorder to carry when you are out OCing.
you are starting him off with the ol' 'be fearful of the police and carry a tape recorder' suggestion?

enhancing his/her skills like more range time, taking a class on VA law, meeting fellow gun owners, joining the VCDL/NRA/GOA etc
:lol::lol::lol::exclaim:
If it were JohnnyB giving the advice then yeah, but not HF.
The second part of your post are things I hope all residents do, not just new ones.

[line]

To the OP a DVR is a good investment.
It will help to protect you if anyone claims you made threatening remakes.
I have used one to settle Customer service issues numerous times,haven't yet had to use mine because of a conversation w/LE.

I activate mine when leaving the house and don't turn it off untilI return home.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Welcome to OCDO and welcome to Virginia.

Find the threads on OC Dinners in the Hampton Roads area and go - no special invite needed. Meet good folks, make some new friends (watch out for a guy named Ron - he heads up the VCDL table volunteering and bears being wary of :p). http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/20385.html- OK, not an "official dinner" but the next area event.

Find Ed's thread on his information cards and hit him up for some. http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/11009.html

Join VCDL and come to Lobby Day. Or come to Lobby Day and join VCDL there. Either way, come to Lobby Day. http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/18154.html

stay safe.

skidmark

* edited to add links.

curtiswr

imported post

Welcome to OCDO and Virginia.

Hopefully you find this website as fun/informative as I have and hopefully you enjoy the state as much as I do!

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:

Isnt that a bit of an overdramatic suggestion? I'd much rather see a new resident to Va.enhancing his skills like more range time, taking a class on Va law, meeting fellow gun owners, joining the VCDL/NRA/GOA etc.....you are starting him off with the ol' 'be fearful of the police and carry a tape recorder' suggestion?
Well ... at the time I wrote it I did not see it or think of it in that light. I actually have been issued one of these things, so I just think everyone should have one.

But you make a fair comment. I will be less negative with the suggestion in future.

razor_baghdad

imported post

Welcome to OCDO!

In a more positive light, buy a recorder to record the positive OC experiences....;):p

or anything 'else' that might happen...:cool:

packingdressagerider

Some where in Rockbridge County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:

Well ... at the time I wrote it I did not see it or think of it in that light. I actually have been issued one of these things, so I just think everyone should have one.

But you make a fair comment. I will be less negative with the suggestion in future.
What kind of tape recorder should we get?

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

packingdressagerider wrote:

Well it is kind of a personal choice based on your situation. But first I would go with a solid state digital recorder rather than tape. Depending on your tolerance for price and recording duration you choice can be easy or hard.

THIS LINK is to a comparison chart for recorders ranging from $30-$100. In my view rechargeable power source is also handy because it will save a lot on batteries over time. I would want at least a few hours of recording time. The best recorder for most of us would also be started when you leave home, and just record everything, looping back over itself every 5-10 hours. That way you do not have to remember to turn it on, and it will capture everything from the start of an incident and the few hours after.

It should be small, light, easy to carry, and have the ability to dump the recordings to a computer, with time anddate of recording information preserved.

That is the basic stuff but your mileage may vary.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

packingdressagerider wrote:
Not tape. Digital.

Many of us use the Olympus models (see here). I have the 4100PC. I've never had mine run out of space OR power while I needed it. It comes with a microphone you can clip to your collar while the recorder is in your pocket, if you wish. Pickup is pretty good, and it's available at RadioShack for about $60. Don't know prices on other models/places.

You want something small and, if you're like me, that you can copy the file to the PC.

kimbercarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hi Luna_man22. If you would like you can jioin us at one of our opencarry dinners. The next one will be on your side of the water. Hope to see you there.

Just look under the thread titled Tidewater (month) OC Dinner.

tsannicolas

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Wow, talk about a culture shock. Bet you think you've found gun paradise.

Welcome to the site. Glad to have you here and please relate your experiences OC'ing as you go about your days.
I'm from California too. It IS a pretty huge culture shock. I couldn't believe I could walk into a store and walk out with a firearm. I was so used to several day waiting periods, i had given up on even trying in Cali

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

tsannicolas wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

Welcome to the site. Glad to have you here and please relate your experiences OC'ing as you go about your days.
I'm from California too. It IS a pretty huge culture shock. I couldn't believe I could walk into a store and walk out with a firearm. I was so used to several day waiting periods, i had given up on even trying in Cali

I bet it is. Doesn't California have a 15 day waiting period? Or is that done on a per county basis?

tsannicolas

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
tsannicolas wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

I bet it is. Doesn't California have a 15 day waiting period? Or is that done on a per county basis?
it's something like that. but i didn't even bother trying to buy a gun while i lived there. but since i moved to virginia - i've purchased 4 firearms. i moved here in August :p