• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to OC

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

tsannicolas wrote:
it's something like that. but i didn't even bother trying to buy a gun while i lived there. but since i moved to virginia - i've purchased 4 firearms. i moved here in August :p
AS a new resident it is important that you keep up to date on your required "one gun a month" purchase quota. If you fall behind, the only way to catch up is to obtain a CHP and buy TWO guns per month until you catch up. Have you picked out your January purchase yet?

tsannicolas

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
tsannicolas wrote:
it's something like that. but i didn't even bother trying to buy a gun while i lived there. but since i moved to virginia - i've purchased 4 firearms. i moved here in August :p
AS a new resident it is important that you keep up to date on your required "one gun a month" purchase quota. If you fall behind, the only way to catch up is to obtain a CHP and buy TWO guns per month until you catch up. Have you picked out your January purchase yet?
i'm way ahead of you. Fairfax County's 45 days are up tomorrow and will be picking up my defacto CHP in the morning :D

luna_man22

imported post

Thanks for all the great info. I will definitely be trying to head to lobby day, and the OC dinner. I told my wife about lobby day and she was wondering what exactly goes on. Is there anything special we have to do before going?

Sheriff

imported post

luna_man22 wrote:
I live in the Hampton Roads area, I am originally from California and am new to the whole OC thing. I have been OCing since I found out about it a month ago.
Don't get too excited quite so early. There's still a slim to fair chance that you will come upon a cop that doesn't know the same gun laws and rights you now practice. If you do, just play it cool and let them make all the mistakes. :D

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Sheriff wrote:
luna_man22 wrote:
I live in the Hampton Roads area, I am originally from California and am new to the whole OC thing. I have been OCing since I found out about it a month ago.
Don't get too excited quite so early. There's still a slim to fair chance that you will come upon a cop that doesn't know the same gun laws and rights you now practice. If you do, just play it cool and let them make all the mistakes. :D
I know I'm going to get flamed for this but here goes.

You see, this is what can really pisses me off about police. First off, let me get it out up front. I am not a cop hater or a basher. I support LEOs because I understand they have a hard enough job as it is.. especially in light of their salaries.

But I have a great deal of problem with LEOs who are more than willing, either through ignorance or just plain power tripping, to make illegal arrests and harass law abiding citizens who are doing nothing more than practicing their rights, which is FAR more important and significant than a cop going off the handle.

I'll leave my rant at that and just say once more that I fully support the good LEOs. I have nothing but disrespect and anger towards the bad ones.

altajava

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:

You see, this is what can really pisses me off about police. First off, let me get it out up front. I am not a cop hater or a basher. I support LEOs because I understand they have a hard enough job as it is.. especially in light of their salaries.

But I have a great deal of problem with LEOs who are more than willing, either through ignorance or just plain power tripping, to make illegal arrests and harass law abiding citizens who are doing nothing more than practicing their rights, which is FAR more important and significant than a cop going off the handle.

I'll leave my rant at that and just say once more that I fully support the good LEOs. I have nothing but disrespect and anger towards the bad ones.

I'm not flaming you but it has nothing to do with salary. They do have a difficult job. In my short 40 years I have only met one LEO that did not deserve the respect the uniform commands, and I have met a lot of cops in my misspent youth(I can cite traffic laws better than most cops).

Sheriff

imported post

altajava wrote:
I'm not flaming you but it has nothing to do with salary.
Have to agree with you there. The salary and benefits package is very attractive in my necks of the woods. I don't know of any cop within 100 miles of me that is living anywhere close to poverty level. As a matter of fact.... most live in nice homes, drive nice cars and trucks, and make ends meet easily. While people who have been with organizations and businesses for 25 to 30 years find themselves unemployed now.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

altajava wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

I'm not flaming you but it has nothing to do with salary. They do have a difficult job. In my short 40 years I have only met one LEO that did not deserve the respect the uniform commands, and I have met a lot of cops in my misspent youth(I can cite traffic laws better than most cops).
Well I have met a lot too. It is a mixed bag just like any other human endeavor. There are FAR more good ones trying to do an honest job based on why we hire them, than bad ones, but the bad ones get the most press. It does not help when people subsequently paint ALL LEOs with the same brush.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
altajava wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

Well I have met a lot too. It is a mixed bag just like any other human endeavor. There are FAR more good ones trying to do an honest job based on why we hire them, than bad ones, but the bad ones get the most press. It does not help when people subsequently paint ALL LEOs with the same brush.

I agree with all who responded to my little "rant". I have only had one bad encounter with an LEO and he was an Arlington, VA motor cop. All of the rest, local, county, and state have been professional and fine in my opinion. While it may be difficult for the lay person to penetrate the LEO fraternity, I find that acting "normal" (as in not acting intimidated or nervous) and showing a bit of a sense of humor goes a long way in breaking down that veneer and putting one on a people-to-people basis.. at least to a degree.

Thanks for not thinking of me as an LEO basher or hater because nothing is further from the truth. Only those who operate outside of the law or take advantage of their charter are the ones with whom I would have a problem. I suspect we all might tend to think there are more of these LEOs, in regards to OC'ing because we see these reports on this site. But I would bet there is a small percentage across the state where such problems are likely to occur.

As for salaries, that was a general statement on my part. I suspect there here in this part of Virginia, LEOs are paid pretty well.. we have several in my development and these are nice homes.

cREbralFIX

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
Since you are in Hampton Roads area, I recommend you locate and buy a person voice recorder to carry when you are out OCing.  If you see any LEOs around you, turn on the recorder.  DO not tell people you are carrying the recorder.

Isnt that a bit of an overdramatic suggestion?  I'd much rather see a new resident to Va. enhancing his skills like more range time, taking a class on Va law, meeting fellow gun owners, joining the VCDL/NRA/GOA etc.....you are starting him off with the ol' 'be fearful of the police and carry a tape recorder' suggestion?

Given the fact that police HAVE pointed their weapons at law abiding individuals engaged in OC, I think it's very important to have a record of what occurs.