• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Unexpected Home Invasion

Glocks_Rock

imported post

I thought I would share a story about something that happened the first weekend of the year. My wife and my9 year old daughter went to visit some of her relatives and was gone from Friday morning until late Sunday evening.

SoI was going to be a bachelor for the weekend which basically means i order a pizza and watch a DVD of some sort. Friday night about 11:00 PM my 20 year old son called and said that he would not be in and that he was stayingf at a friends house, no big deal means I have to house to myself.

So I finally turn the TV off about 2:00 AM or so. Now like alot of guys I sleep in the nude, so I have my 1911 .45 on the nitestand (daughter calls this particular pistol Big Dawg) along with small light and cell phone.

I was sound alseep when I heard the alarm chime go off (means door or window has been opened) I sit wide awake in bed and waited for the tell-telll lite in kitchen to come on from my son, I figured that he decided to come home after all. After a few seconds the light did not come on butI did notice a flashlight moving around in kitchen area.

I grabbed my glasses my cell, the flashlight and of course Big Dawg. I kicked the saftey off and started down the hall clearing the door ways as I went, with the light off(did not want to let the person knowI was up) So I made it into the living room and there are a stranger in my house looking for things to take.

I quickly turned on the flashlight and raise my 1911 up and was prepared to fire if need be. The guy turned around and to say the least was very surprised to see me. He took a couple of steps towards me and i holered at him not to move. I quickly flashed the light to my other hand so that he could see what he was facing and then back into his face (very bright sure fire light)I noticed that he was holding a very large hunting style knife I told him to drop the knife and to step away from it.

He did and then I had him lay down on the carpet with hands up above his head and palms up. I then slowly moved over and turned on the over head light now that my eye sight had adjusted correctly.

So here I am naked with light and cell phone in one hand and my 1911 in the other with a BG face down on my floor in front of me.No I know that in a short distance that someone with a knife can be just as dangerous as a man with a gun, soI was not taking my eyes off of him.

I calleld the police and told them that I had an intruder in my house and that I did have a firearm pointed at him. I decsrcibed my self and gave instructions for police to safely enter my house, I also told the dispatcher thatI was undressed so that the police would not be taken off gaurd. I waited about 5-6 minutes on the phone with the dispatcher and then she told me that the police had arrived and was comming around to my back door.

From my stand point I can see my back door clearly andI can be seen just as clear when they come through it. They opended my back gate (wood fence) and called out I told them to come in as I kept the BG at bay and being very careful not to even come close to pointing in wrong direction. They came in asked me to lower my weapon in which I did, Iset it down on the floor and stepped away from it. There was 1 male and 1 female officer, of course since I am standing there naked I was a little embarassed.

They hand cuffed the BG and allowed me to re-gain some dignity by getting some cloths on. They took down all of the information and haulde him away. They were very professional about the entire ordeal and never gave me any grief about the gun

I had, in fact one of the officers (the female officer) thanked me for being one of the Good Guys and providing the dispatcher with enough informatin where they had a good idea of what they were walking into.

When I was watching TV before I went to bed I had let our little dog out and whenI let him back inI 1.) forgot to lock the back door, 2.) forgot to set the alarm Normaly me and my wife have each other covered because we both normally check and if she forgets to check I catch it and vice versa. I did not have her there to cover my oversight soI allowed the BG into my home, If it were not for the alarm chirp things could have turned out alot different.

Everyone one walked away and the best part is I did not have to clean up a bunch of blood from my carpet. I am glad that all the years I have gone through some mental excercises on what if situations that I was in a clear enough state of mind to make at least some good decissions.

Of course no matter how much you think you are prepared to face things like this you never really realize how much you really aren't prepared when it happens. Looking back of courseI could have done a few things different but over all I am happy the way it turned out. I survived without getting hurt and the embarassment of standing there naked infront of the two police officers, well I got over that pretty quick.

Ok so now I am ready to open it up let me know where I dropped the ball :)

compmanio365

imported post

Augh! Paragraphs, man! My eyes! :shock:

Other than that, I think you did good, other than forgetting to lock the door......bet that won't happen again. And I guarantee you those cops have seen far worse than a nekkid guy in his own house at 2 AM.......:lol:

Oh yeah, and welcome to the forum! Hope you stick around and contribute to the discussions here. We need all the non-trolls we can get.

Legba

imported post

Funny how you don't seem so ridiculous standing naked in front of people when you are armed (nevermind how I know this). Glad you didn't have more difficulty. Well done.

-ljp

Glocks_Rock

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Augh! Paragraphs, man! My eyes! :shock:

Other than that, I think you did good, other than forgetting to lock the door......bet that won't happen again. And I guarantee you those cops have seen far worse than a nekkid guy in his own house at 2 AM.......:lol:

Oh yeah, and welcome to the forum! Hope you stick around and contribute to the discussions here. We need all the non-trolls we can get.

Sorry about not breaking it up. I have been a reader of these forms for awhile now and should have know better.

Next time will be a cleaner format.

Glocks_Rock

imported post

Legba wrote:
Funny how you don't seem so ridiculous standing naked in front of people when you are armed (nevermind how I know this). Glad you didn't have more difficulty. Well done.

-ljp
Yes that probaby does seem to make folks take you serious when you are armed.

Evil Ernie

imported post

Where did you drop the ball? Thats easy: You didn't do the "propeller" for the female officer...:p

Seriously tho, you showed great restraint in not ventilating him in the first inch he approached (no pun intended). The second he would have made a forward movement, my triggerfinger would have made a rearward movement.

Overall, glad you're still with us, welcome to the forum, and for gods sakes man, put on some freakin clothes!!!

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Great sense of self control and handling the situation as it stands.

As always, hindsight is 20/20, so you're able to learn from what went wrong to cause you to get into that situation, but once you're in it, you can only control the situation so much. You immediately took control and never lost it.

There's nothing inherently wrong about it, as it obviously worked. But its for this very reason that I often sleep in my skivvies to at least have something around me if I ever have to get up and go quickly (fire or other emergency).

A lot of people I know keep a "Ready bag" by their bed with a pair of PJs for themselves and anyone else in the family, as well as a flashlight.

I keep a disposable phone charger in mine as well as a few other things.

Glocks_Rock

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
Great sense of self control and handling the situation as it stands.

As always, hindsight is 20/20, so you're able to learn from what went wrong to cause you to get into that situation, but once you're in it, you can only control the situation so much. You immediately took control and never lost it.

There's nothing inherently wrong about it, as it obviously worked. But its for this very reason that I often sleep in my skivvies to at least have something around me if I ever have to get up and go quickly (fire or other emergency).

A lot of people I know keep a "Ready bag" by their bed with a pair of PJs for themselves and anyone else in the family, as well as a flashlight.

I keep a disposable phone charger in mine as well as a few other things.

Well I do keep a few thing in a ready bag in case I have to leave teh house in a hurry and if I would have thought about it for 5 seconds more I would have gotten some clothes on.

But again it worked out and in the end thats what really counts.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Glocks_Rock wrote:
I thought I would share a story about something that happened the first weekend of the year.
My wife a(nd) 9 year old daughter went to visit some of her relatives and was gone from Friday morning until late Sunday evening. So i was going to be a bachelor for the weekend which basically means i order a pizza and watch a DVD of some sort.
Friday night about 11:00 PM my 20 year old son called and said that he would not be in and that he was stayingf at a friends house, no big deal means I have to house to myself. So I finally turn the TV off about 2:00 AM or so.
Now like alot of guys I sleep in the nude, so I have my 1911 .45 on the nitestand (daughter calls this particular pistol Big Dawg) along with small light and cell phone. I was sound alseep when I heard the alarm chime go off (means door or window has been opened)
I sit wide awake in bed and waited for the tell-telll lite in kitchen to come on from my son, I figured that he decided to come home after all. After a few seconds the light did not come on but i did notice a flashlight moving around in kitchen area.
I grabbed my glasses my cell, the flashlight and of course Big Dawg. I kickeds the saftey off and started down the hall clearing the door ways as I went, with the light off(did not want to let the person know i was up) So I made it into the living room and there are a stranger in my house looking for things to take.
I quickly turned on the flashlight and raise my 1911 up and was prepared to fire if need be. The guy turned around and to say the least was very surprised to see me.
He took a couple of steps towards me and i holered at him not to move. I quickly flashed the light to my other hand so that he could see what he was facing and then back into his face (very bright sure fire light) i noticed that he was holding a very large hunting style knife I told him to drop the knife and to step away from it.He did and then I had him lay down on the carpet with hands up above his head and palms up.
I then slowly moved over and turned on the over head light now that my eye sight had adjusted correctly. So here I am naked with light and cell phone in one hand and my 1911 in the other with a BG face down on my floor in front of me. No(w) I know that in a short distance that someone with a knife can be just as dangerous as a man with a gun, so i was not taking my eyes off of him.
I calleld the police and told the(m) that I had an intruder in my house and that I did have a firearm pointed at him. I decsrcibed my self and gave instructions for police to safely enter my house, I also told the dispatcher that i was undressed so that the police would not be taken off gaurd.
I waited about 5-6 minutes on the phone with the dispatcher and then she told me that the police had arrived and was comming around to my back door. from my stand point I can see my back door clearly and i can be seen just as clear when they come through it.
They opended my back gate (wood fence) and called out I told them to come in as I kept the BG at bay and being very careful not to even come close to pointing in wrong direction. They came in asked me to lower my weapon in which I did,
Iset it down on the floor and stepped away from it. There was 1 male and 1 female officer, of course since I am standing there naked I was a little embarassed. They hand cuffed the BG and allowed me to re-gain some dignity by getting some cloths on.
They took down all of the information and haul(ed) him away. They were very professional about the entire ordeal and never gave me any grief about the gun I had, in fact one of the officers (the female officer) thanked me for being one of the Good Guys and providing the dispatcher with enough informatin where they had a good idea of what they were walking into.
When I was watching TV before I went to bed I had let our little dog out and whenI let him back inI 1.) forgot to lock the back door, 2.) forgot to set the alarm Normaly me and my wife has each other covered because we both normally check and if she forgets to check I catch it and vice versa. I did not have her there to cover my oversight soI allowed the BG into my home, If it were not for the alarm chirp things could have turned out alot different.
Everyone one walked away and the best pa(r)t is I did not have to clean up a bunch of blood from my carpet. I am glad that all the years I have gone through some mental excercises on what if situations that I was in a clear enough state of mind to make at least some good decissions.
Of course no matter how much you think you are prepared to face things like this you never really realize how much you really aren't prepared when it happens. Looking back of course i could have done a few things different but over all I am happy the way it turned out. I survived without getting hurt and the embarassment of standing there naked infront of the two police officers, well I got over that pretty quick.

I Took the liberty of puting a few line breaks in this to make it easier to read.

First off are you in west Virginia? Your wife is your9 year old daughter?:what::lol: Just kidding.

I think you did just fine. You stopped the bad guy. Nobody got hurt. The Bad Guy actually got CAUGHT:celebrate. And your family and home are safe again.

Your correctly evaluated the your performance and looked for ways to improve your defensive posture for the future. You identified areas for improvement and ways to make things work better are now in place.

IF I had one single word for you to think about for the futureit would be "Skivvies"!:what:

THae female LEO will be in counciling for months all because you refused to wear skivies to bed.:lol:

Glocks_Rock

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Glocks_Rock wrote:
I thought I would share a story about something that happened the first weekend of the year.
My wife a(nd) 9 year old daughter went to visit some of her relatives and was gone from Friday morning until late Sunday evening. So i was going to be a bachelor for the weekend which basically means i order a pizza and watch a DVD of some sort.
Friday night about 11:00 PM my 20 year old son called and said that he would not be in and that he was stayingf at a friends house, no big deal means I have to house to myself. So I finally turn the TV off about 2:00 AM or so.
Now like alot of guys I sleep in the nude, so I have my 1911 .45 on the nitestand (daughter calls this particular pistol Big Dawg) along with small light and cell phone. I was sound alseep when I heard the alarm chime go off (means door or window has been opened)
I sit wide awake in bed and waited for the tell-telll lite in kitchen to come on from my son, I figured that he decided to come home after all. After a few seconds the light did not come on but i did notice a flashlight moving around in kitchen area.
I grabbed my glasses my cell, the flashlight and of course Big Dawg. I kickeds the saftey off and started down the hall clearing the door ways as I went, with the light off(did not want to let the person know i was up) So I made it into the living room and there are a stranger in my house looking for things to take.
I quickly turned on the flashlight and raise my 1911 up and was prepared to fire if need be. The guy turned around and to say the least was very surprised to see me.
He took a couple of steps towards me and i holered at him not to move. I quickly flashed the light to my other hand so that he could see what he was facing and then back into his face (very bright sure fire light) i noticed that he was holding a very large hunting style knife I told him to drop the knife and to step away from it.He did and then I had him lay down on the carpet with hands up above his head and palms up.
I then slowly moved over and turned on the over head light now that my eye sight had adjusted correctly. So here I am naked with light and cell phone in one hand and my 1911 in the other with a BG face down on my floor in front of me. No(w) I know that in a short distance that someone with a knife can be just as dangerous as a man with a gun, so i was not taking my eyes off of him.
I calleld the police and told the(m) that I had an intruder in my house and that I did have a firearm pointed at him. I decsrcibed my self and gave instructions for police to safely enter my house, I also told the dispatcher that i was undressed so that the police would not be taken off gaurd.
I waited about 5-6 minutes on the phone with the dispatcher and then she told me that the police had arrived and was comming around to my back door. from my stand point I can see my back door clearly and i can be seen just as clear when they come through it.
They opended my back gate (wood fence) and called out I told them to come in as I kept the BG at bay and being very careful not to even come close to pointing in wrong direction. They came in asked me to lower my weapon in which I did,
Iset it down on the floor and stepped away from it. There was 1 male and 1 female officer, of course since I am standing there naked I was a little embarassed. They hand cuffed the BG and allowed me to re-gain some dignity by getting some cloths on.
They took down all of the information and haul(ed) him away. They were very professional about the entire ordeal and never gave me any grief about the gun I had, in fact one of the officers (the female officer) thanked me for being one of the Good Guys and providing the dispatcher with enough informatin where they had a good idea of what they were walking into.
When I was watching TV before I went to bed I had let our little dog out and whenI let him back inI 1.) forgot to lock the back door, 2.) forgot to set the alarm Normaly me and my wife has each other covered because we both normally check and if she forgets to check I catch it and vice versa. I did not have her there to cover my oversight soI allowed the BG into my home, If it were not for the alarm chirp things could have turned out alot different.
Everyone one walked away and the best pa(r)t is I did not have to clean up a bunch of blood from my carpet. I am glad that all the years I have gone through some mental excercises on what if situations that I was in a clear enough state of mind to make at least some good decissions.
Of course no matter how much you think you are prepared to face things like this you never really realize how much you really aren't prepared when it happens. Looking back of course i could have done a few things different but over all I am happy the way it turned out. I survived without getting hurt and the embarassment of standing there naked infront of the two police officers, well I got over that pretty quick.

I Took the liberty of puting a few line breaks in this to make it easier to read.

First off are you in west Virginia? Your wife is your9 year old daughter?:what::lol: Just kidding.

I think you did just fine. You stopped the bad guy. Nobody got hurt. The Bad Guy actually got CAUGHT:celebrate. And your family and home are safe again.

Your correctly evaluated the your performance and looked for ways to improve your defensive posture for the future. You identified areas for improvement and ways to make things work better are now in place.

IF I had one single word for you to think about for the futureit would be "Skivvies"!:what:

THae female LEO will be in counciling for months all because you refused to wear skivies to bed.:lol:
:DTyping is not and has never been one of my strong points. And I guess that the female officer will just have to sue the department for the image that is burned into the back of her her retinals.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
+1 Bad guy caught, you and yours safe, no mess to clean up sound like a good outcome to me.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

One... "Knife"... That's all it'd take for meto trip the bang switch. Two... Put some skivvies on.

Retinals? :what:

bordsnbikes

imported post

I order a pizza and watch a DVD of some sort = porn

I decsrcibed my self and gave instructions for police to safely enter my house = I'll be the naked guy with the gun.

I'm just messing with you dude, you did a damn fine job. I'm glad everything turned out so well for you. Much better to have him caught than have to clean the house. Also, you would have been justified in shooting him because he had a knife, however justified it is you still have to live with killing someone. I've never killed anyone unjustly and still think about everyone of them and their families. Don't get me wrong, I don't lose any sleep over it, but it's still on my mind. Bad guys have loved ones to.

ETA +1 on the helicopter. I almost pissed myself laughing.

Glocks_Rock

imported post

bordsnbikes wrote:
I order a pizza and watch a DVD of some sort = porn

I decsrcibed my self and gave instructions for police to safely enter my house = I'll be the naked guy with the gun.

I'm just messing with you dude, you did a damn fine job. I'm glad everything turned out so well for you. Much better to have him caught than have to clean the house. Also, you would have been justified in shooting him because he had a knife, however justified it is you still have to live with killing someone. I've never killed anyone unjustly and still think about everyone of them and their families. Don't get me wrong, I don't lose any sleep over it, but it's still on my mind. Bad guys have loved ones to.

ETA +1 on the helicopter. I almost pissed myself laughing.
actually the DVD = journey to center of the earth and I am sure that the dispatcher was having to stiffle her laugh, I know i would if I was in her place, and yes thinking back and thinking of how it must have sounded to her it is very funny.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Glocks_Rock wrote:
So here I am naked with light and cell phone in one hand and my 1911 in the other with a BG face down on my floor in front of me.
Now that I think about it, I think this is our own NakedShoplifter, posting under an alias.:what:

(sorry Glocks a target of opportunity on another forum member, watch and you'll see:lol:)

Glocks_Rock

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Glocks_Rock wrote:
So here I am naked with light and cell phone in one hand and my 1911 in the other with a BG face down on my floor in front of me.
Now that I think about it, I think this is our own NakedShoplifter, posting under an alias.:what:

(sorry Glocks a target of opportunity on another forum member, watch and you'll see:lol:)
WellI am an equal oppurtunity gun owner, I have glcok, kel-tec, kimbers, khars, S&W, Bersa,.. so basically if you can pull a trigger and it goes bang I LIKE IT :lol:

Glocks_Rock

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Glocks_Rock wrote:

The 1911 just happen to be to one I had on that day normally I carry a g33 very easy to conceal, but on that day I changed it up and was carrying the 1911

But it is all good. Glocks have always been a target. I used to HATE them.

Decoligny

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Glocks_Rock wrote:
normally I carry a g33 very easy to conceal, but on that day I changed it up and was carrying the 1911

SNIP...

Ok.... I can't ... I just can't pass up an opening like this...

WHERE EXACTLY WOULD YOU HAVE CONCEALED THE G33 IF YOU HAD IT INSTEAD:lol:?
Being naked, that just has to violate muzzle discipline! :shock:

Glocks_Rock

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
Glocks_Rock wrote:
normally I carry a g33 very easy to conceal, but on that day I changed it up and was carrying the 1911

SNIP...

Ok.... I can't ... I just can't pass up an opening like this...

WHERE EXACTLY WOULD YOU HAVE CONCEALED THE G33 IF YOU HAD IT INSTEAD:lol:?
Being naked, that just has to violate muzzle discipline! :shock:
Thats just WRONG on so may levels. :D Open mouth insert foot