• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holster for OC

99vengeur

imported post

This is a question about holster options when OC'ing.

When you guys OC, do you wear an open holster that provides no security against firearm removal, or do you wear the LEO type that has the slide strap to prevent gun removal or accidental dropping?

I know there will be a lot of personal preferences as to the specific holster brand, but I am more interested in knowing whether you OC without a holser strap found on most LEO holsters.

Dustin

imported post

20595.jpg

chad pf-9

imported post

I use the blackhawk,with the Serpra retention for one of mine.the others,I just use plain ole uncle mike's type holsters with the thumb break retention strap.

FogRider

imported post

I have both. I prefer a open leather holster most of the time, but if I'm going to be doing something like riding my motorcycle or running around in the boonies I go with more retention.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have a SERPA as well for my XD and like it just fine. However, there is a thread currently going on Bayoushooter.com in which a large number of folks with considerable firearms experience are bashing the SERPA as dangerous. This has given me some concern, as I usually defer to people with more experience than I. Then again, most of those folks at Bayoushooter.com don't like OC anyway.

FogRider

imported post

The only real arguments I've seen against the Serpa is the original ones had a habit of breaking off the paddles (fixed), and a few people have had pebbles under the release, making it nearly impossible to draw the gun. However, this didn't occur under what most of us would consider normal conditions, it was while they were crawling around in the sand during tactical training exercises.

Dustin

imported post

99vengeur wrote:
I tried one of the Serpa's with my XDM and it wouldn't lock into the retention system. Guess they only work with the regular XD. :?

:uhoh:I've put my XDM-40 in 3 different Serpa's and they all worked just fine.

The one above is the one I use too :uhoh:

99vengeur

imported post

Dustin wrote:
99vengeur wrote:
I tried one of the Serpa's with my XDM and it wouldn't lock into the retention system. Guess they only work with the regular XD. :?

Well, It wasn't my XDM that I actually tried. I was at Bass Pro last night and asked the kid behind the counter to pull one of the displays and test fit it. He couldn't get it to lock into the holster. He also didn't remove the ziptie tag from the trigger guard. Maybe that was the problem...:banghead:

I like the Serpa's they look really nice.

99vengeur

imported post

FogRider wrote:
The only real arguments I've seen against the Serpa is the original ones had a habit of breaking off the paddles (fixed), and a few people have had pebbles under the release, making it nearly impossible to draw the gun. However, this didn't occur under what most of us would consider normal conditions, it was while they were crawling around in the sand during tactical training exercises.
The problem people are arguing about is that people are engaging the release and then letting their trigger finger slip onto the trigger when they draw from the holster. There have been a few AD by trained instructors I believe, resulting in serious injury.

Dustin

imported post

99vengeur wrote:
FogRider wrote:
The problem people are arguing about is that people are engaging the release and then letting their trigger finger slip onto the trigger when they draw from the holster. There have been a few AD by trained instructors I believe, resulting in serious injury.

That's sounds ridiculous. When I draw my firearm, my finger slides from the serpa button, to the SLIDE of my firearm ABOVE the Trigger. Never the Trigger :uhoh:Sounds like some trainees, not instructors IMO.

99vengeur wrote:
Dustin wrote:
99vengeur wrote:

Well, It wasn't my XDM that I actually tried. I was at Bass Pro last night and asked the kid behind the counter to pull one of the displays and test fit it. He couldn't get it to lock into the holster. He also didn't remove the ziptie tag from the trigger guard. Maybe that was the problem...:banghead:

I like the Serpa's they look really nice.
Being that the serpa uses the trigger guard to lock to, then yesthe zip tiewould have been an issue.

BTW, Holsters don't make people shoot themselves, people do that. :lol:

99vengeur

imported post

The part about the AD and the instructors I found on another forum where they were discussing this same issue.

The reason the guy at Bass Pro couldn't get it to holster is because there was a plastic piece inside the holster to prevent it. I guess it was a security device to prevent people from walking in and holstering their gun and walking out with the holster as if it were theirs originally. They guy was a complete goof. I went back the next day, bought it and it works great.

Dustin

imported post

99vengeur wrote:
The part about the AD and the instructors I found on another forum where they were discussing this same issue.

The reason the guy at Bass Pro couldn't get it to holster is because there was a plastic piece inside the holster to prevent it. I guess it was a security device to prevent people from walking in and holstering their gun and walking out with the holster as if it were theirs originally. They guy was a complete goof. I went back the next day, bought it and it works great.

That's halarious b/c all you have to do is turn the holster upside down, and that peice falls out :celebrate:lol::banghead::lol:

99vengeur

imported post

Dustin wrote:

That's halarious b/c all you have to do is turn the holster upside down, and that peice falls out :celebrate:lol::banghead::lol:
Actually, this one was held in place by the retention screw. :question: But still hillarious that he couldn't figure it out. :banghead:

My biggest problem currently is that I have ridiculouly long arms, and holstering/unholstering requires some contortionist trickery. HAHA It also make it difficult to find shirts that fit my long arms without the torso being a swimming pool.

XDm-KC

imported post

99Vengeur wrote:
I tried one of the Serpa's with my XDM and it wouldn't lock into the retention system. Guess they only work with the regular XD.

I have an XDm and it fits and works just fine in the XD serpa. I really like that holster.

Mississippian

imported post

My biggest problem currently is that I have ridiculouly long arms,
Are you straight or cross drawing? My brother uses a serpa andcross draws, it just don't feel right for me.

One reason is I've had people come and get on my step before I get my 18wheeler parked good and ask for money, I always tell them I don't have any I can give them, but when one of 'emdemands my wallet, I don't want to have to cross draw.;)