• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

3 men shot in Seattle's Pioneer Square

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008608472_webshooting09m.html?syndication=rss
By Sara Jean Green
Seattle Times staff reporter

A gunman emerged from an alley early this morning and fired several shots at a group of people who were standing on a Pioneer Square sidewalk, according to Seattle police.

Two men were critically injured and a third received minor injuries despite being shot several times, said police spokeswoman Renee Witt.

"There's a definite connection between these victims and the suspect," but detectives don't know what that connection is yet, she said. Members of the department's homicide, gang and crime-scene investigation units are interviewing witnesses, trying to determine a motive and come up with a suspect description, Witt said. No arrests have been made.

At 2:35 a.m., police received a 911 call that shots had been fired on James Street between First and Second avenues. The gunman, walking south through an alley, opened fire on a group of people who were standing on the sidewalk. Two men, 28 and 23, received life-threatening injuries and are being treated at Harborview Medical Center, Witt said. The third victim is a 34-year-old man. He was treated and released.

The victims aren't "necessarily innocent bystanders," Witt said, adding that police want to reassure the public that the shooting "is not a random deal."

shad0wfax

imported post

Renee Witt (police spokesperson)said:
[SNIP]
"There's a definite connection between these victims and the suspect," [The victims aren't] "necessarily innocent bystanders," [The shooting] "is not a random deal."

JAGS: Just another Gang Shooting

It's good to remind us that we should be at all times armed and prepared for the worst, but it's just more gang violence on the west side. I wish the legislators would give up on gun-control and start up on gang-incarcerations.

kparker

imported post

David: fairly high?

And what, conversely, are the odds the shooter was (a) a CPL holder, (b) legally carrying (i.e. not in the over-21 part of a bar earlier), and (c) legally able to own a firearm in the first place?

A lot closer to zero.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

kparker wrote:
And what, conversely, are the odds the shooter was (a) a CPL holder, (b) legally carrying (i.e. not in the over-21 part of a bar earlier), and (c) legally able to own a firearm in the first place?
Odds of (d) All of the above? Somewhere between not likely and no f-in' way.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

"There's a definite connection between these victims and the suspect," but detectives don't know what that connection is yet, she said. Members of the department's homicide, gang and crime-scene investigation units are interviewing witnesses, trying to determine a motive and come up with a suspect description, Witt said. No arrests have been made.

OK, so no suspect description, not known suspects, we don't know the connection, we don't know the motive - SO what exactly is the basis for the statement "There is a definite connection between the victims and the suspect"??? I mean other than the obvious connection that the victims caught the suspects bullets???

The victims aren't "necessarily innocent bystanders," Witt said, adding that police want to reassure the public that the shooting "is not a random deal."

So with no suspects, no motive, no known connection, they have already determined the victims aren't "innocent bystanders" and are trying to downplay the event to calm the citizenry, that is quite the spin. Maybe they can beat confessions out of the victims, probably easier than finding the guy who did the shooting.

I feel much safer knowing that the guy hangs out in alleys and only jumps out to shoot the people he knows. Guy like that couldn't possibly pose a threat to the rest of us...

No violent crime problem in Pioneer Sq, nope not at all....