Thread: campus apartments

Post imported post

I will be attending GMU in the fall and i was trying to find out if you are allowed to have firearms in the offcampus apartments i have tryed looking around but havent found anything.

Post imported post

Check the lease agreement. It has to be in there somewhere if they are prohibited.

Post imported post

thanks for the info

Post imported post

If these are private apartments (not university property), you could make a case that any such restriction on guns would amount to an unenforceable/onerus/unconscionable term (and therefore unenforceable) of any such rental agreement/lease/contract - especially given the recent Heller decision, which affirms that you have a right (although an alienable one in practice) to have guns.

IANAL, but that part of a lease may be voidable, and the entire agreement might be null and void, depending on particulars of contract law in your jurisdiction. To my thinking, a landlord has no more right to tell you that you can't have guns than they do telling you whether you can vote or go to church.

-ljp

Post imported post

NCSU has on and off campus housing.
    If you are in the apartments that are on campus, then you cannot have a weapon.
    If you are in the off campus residences for families, then you are.