• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

campus apartments

frgntsmtn

imported post

I will be attending GMU in the fall and i was trying to find out if you are allowed to have firearms in the offcampus apartments i have tryed looking around but havent found anything.

Legba

imported post

If these are private apartments (not university property), you could make a case that any such restriction on guns would amount to an unenforceable/onerus/unconscionable term (and therefore unenforceable) of any such rental agreement/lease/contract - especially given the recent Heller decision, which affirms that you have a right (although an alienable one in practice) to have guns.

IANAL, but that part of a lease may be voidable, and the entire agreement might be null and void, depending on particulars of contract law in your jurisdiction. To my thinking, a landlord has no more right to tell you that you can't have guns than they do telling you whether you can vote or go to church.

-ljp

JDriver1.8t

imported post

NCSU has on and off campus housing.
If you are in the apartments that are on campus, then you cannot have a weapon.
If you are in the off campus residences for families, then you are.