• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first post

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Welcome to the forum Police!

I think most of us would agree that the majority of police officers are good people trying to help society. If that isn't the majority viewpoint here,it is my mine, despitehaving an encounter with the police myself that could have been handled better on the part of the officers.

I think knowledge is the best asset towards the greater good and most evil is out of ignorance. I commend your desire to gather information and put it to good use.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Citizen wrote:
SNIP Actually, that was a rhetorical comment. I'm not really at a loss for why.

I guess I'll tell it now. I've been sitting on it for several months. This is for more than just the OPer. Its for the forum.
As to Citizen's

SNIP I agree with what you have said as a theory. But the fact is that it cannot be implemented in the real world at any reasonable cost, or time scale...

In short your idea is right on target if the target is to create a Judge.

Oh, I think there is lots of room between "none" and "judge."

Look at some of us here on this forum.While we've had time to pick things apart, the analyzing can be helped along for the new LEO by insightful discussion or lawyer-written analysis to go along with the text of an opinion.

Also, there are only so many 4A cases that a patrol cop would have to learn. The opinions start overlapping themselves and citing each other fairly quickly. I'm betting an attorney very familiar with 4A case law could sort the important ones,put them insome intelligent order for study, and add some commentary and analysis to assistunderstanding and prevent misunderstandings.

For example, the first sorting might be into one set for traffic stops,one set for foot stops, and one set for approaching or operating on private property or people's homes. Shoot, just take the "you mays" and "may nots" from the General Orders and chase up the cases upon which they are based as a starting point.

The fun thing about 4A cases is that they are very readable. And because many depend on earlier precedent, there is a sort of logic thread one can follow. Just follow the cites backwards. Or, as I am sure will be easier to understand, give the student the early precedent and let him follow the thread forward.

Then, when you "graduate" to detective, or where ever the smart critical point occurs, the officer can start reading up on warrants and informants and so forth.

Heck, you can even tie it to his promotion "points" system or whatever. The more cases he's familiar with from personal study, the more points, or dollars in his pay, or whatever.

Maybe this rough plan has some hitches. I'd be surprised if there weren't.

My main point is that he doesn't have to train to be a judge before he can wear the uniform. He can get started in the academy on the main ones.

And a very importantbenefit will be that he really understands the full dimensions of the "you mays" and "may nots" in his General Orders. This will open the door to takingpersonal responsibility for getting it right. As opposed to doing what someone else tells him or what others are doing.

Its really just a matter of understanding andapplying the policy itself, ratherapplying what someoneelse represented to be the policy.

If I can do it from my computer, and look them up myself, and sort them out as I go, etc., I'm sure police can, too. I'm not all that smart.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Welcome to the forum, Police! Like others have said, there are all kinds of the forum. I think that most of us are not anti-LEO by any stretch. As you spend time here you will note that most of the most vitriolic anti-LEO comments are posted by a handful of people. That doesn't mean that the rest of us don't get a little excited at a flagrant LEO violation, but then we also tend t o get a little excited about non-LEO doing exceptionally stupid or dangerous things.

I hope you find your time here educational and enjoyable. I also hope that we have the opportunity to learn from your experience on a variety of matters. The basis of the forum is to share information and learn from each other and hopefully make some friends in the process.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Welcome user 21637.

It might be better, better than waving the red flag of inequality, to re-register as Steve 'Smith' and make a less contentious start.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Citizen wrote:

...SNIP...
If I can do it from my computer, and look them up myself, and sort them out as I go, etc., I'm sure police can, too. I'm not all that smart.

Well I think there is lots of room there too, but that is not what your original post was calling for. Your original post said that LEOs should read all the case law related to what they do. That is a massive amount of material that can and does fill libraries.

Now you ave narrowed the field to TFA. First off that is still a lot of material. Second TFA does not even represent the tip of the iceberg of the areas of law a LEO works with.

The short of this is that the MUST use summarized materials. There is just not time to do anything else. There is no comparison between a LEO training and what we do here. In your research you are seeking information on a limited topic, and you have all the time you want to find it. I don't want to offend, but you are doing this as a form of recreation. Yes I know and self improvement. But the point is it is not your job, and you are not limited by time constraints, ot requirements to know a lot of other things.

So the training folks put together compendiums of materials covering the range of laws that most LEOs encounter. Certainly TFA is in there along with traffic laws, firearms laws, and a lot more.

Even when you limit the areas of law as is done at the federal level it is a lot of material. FBI agents are responsible for enforcement in less than 200 areas of the law. They have 14 weeks of training.Years agoyou had to be a Lawyer or an accountant to qualify. Those areas still have an edge, but the point is they were hiring lawyers to get the knowledge to enforce less than 200 specific areas of the law.

The average street LEO must enforce hundreds of ares of the law. SO they use materials distilled and summarized by lawyers to provide them with information that will work MOST of the time. What it does not cover is any case that may be outside the norm, and that i where all of us spend most of our time pointing the finger of blame.

The real answer is fewer laws. If we returned to a less cumbersome system where the was not a law for everything from the length of grass in your yard to how far from a road you can shoot the system could be simple enough that focus on the big stuff would be sufficient.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Citizen wrote:
SNIP Oh, I think there is lots of room between "none" and "judge."
SNIP Well I think there is lots of room there too, but that is not what your original post was calling for. Your original post said that LEOs should read all the case law related to what they do.

Tsk, tsk. Attributing things I didn't say. :)

Ease up on the burners, there, my friend.

By the way, what are "TFA's"?

Ok, lets summarize the context.

Cops get it wrong because they don't and can't take responsibility for the subtleties. Thus the scope defined by the entire opinion gets expanded (mission creep) by use of the summaries, summaries not understood in full context.

Beyond that, my initial post didn't offer any solution. I was discussing the problem.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. :) You know, that's one way-vic got himself into trouble: reading things into people's posts. :p

I agree that a good solution would be fewer laws. It also goes deeper, though, even than what I was discussing. It starts with genuine respect for rights, a personal recognition or decision that they are vital. If the officer lacks that, he won't take responsibility anyway, regardless of whether he reads all the opinions.

Its the difference between whether one looks for ways to get around rights, or looks for ways to protect them.

Its a thorny problem, true.

But, I think it can be addressed. Of course, I'm the optimist. I haven't been jaded by years of barriers and so forth in bureaucratic settings. :)

wrightme

imported post

Further information shows need to remove my inaccurate contest.

Kudos to Police for taking the time to research information.

shad0wfax

imported post

wrightme wrote:
The number of attempts at legitimate response is quite amazing.

The OP is not credible. I can think of no reason for any LE to post such as this one did. If he IS an LE, he already has the resources necessary to find the answers to the questions he poses. His contention that he has been lurking, and is no longer lurking, shows instant dishonesty of statement when he then requests information. It has already been said over and over for him in numerous threads. I have little doubt he has received what he is looking for already. :D

I'm pretty sure the OP's avatar is from a TV show or movie, I just can't quite put my finger on which one. It's definitely familiar looking. I keep coming back to this thread hoping for an epiphany, but I think it's just a black-hole ofnaïvety.

PaulBlart

Banned
imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
wrightme wrote:
The number of attempts at legitimate response is quite amazing.

The OP is not credible. I can think of no reason for any LE to post such as this one did. If he IS an LE, he already has the resources necessary to find the answers to the questions he poses. His contention that he has been lurking, and is no longer lurking, shows instant dishonesty of statement when he then requests information. It has already been said over and over for him in numerous threads. I have little doubt he has received what he is looking for already. :D

I'm pretty sure the OP's avatar is from a TV show or movie, I just can't quite put my finger on which one. It's definitely familiar looking. I keep coming back to this thread hoping for an epiphany, but I think it's just a black-hole ofnaïvety.
its steven seagal

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Citizen wrote:
PaulBlart wrote:
some people are naive.

this must be citizen

Chuckle.

No.  It would be incredibly crass to steal such a device.  If you ever give it up, let me know.

In the meantime, unleash your creative side.  I've already come up with a number of ways to satirize some police and their tactics just from imagining the possibilities.  Man oh man oh man, would it be fun.  Just give it some playful thought.  You could be DEVASTATING if you played it right and with just a bit of sophistication.
Indeed. Now is your chance to shine. ;)

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
Citizen wrote:
SNIP  Actually, that was a rhetorical comment.  I'm not really at a loss for why.

I guess I'll tell it now.  I've been sitting on it for several months.  This is for more than just the OPer.  Its for the forum.
As to Citizen's 

SNIP I agree with what you have said as a theory.  But the fact is that it cannot be implemented in the real world at any reasonable cost, or time scale... 

In short your idea is right on target if the target is to create a Judge. 

Look at some of us here on this forum.  While we've had time to pick things apart, the analyzing can be helped along for the new LEO by insightful discussion or lawyer-written analysis to go along with the text of an opinion.
If I can do it from my computer, and look them up myself, and sort them out as I go, etc., I'm sure police can, too.  I'm not all that smart. 
I agree with Citizen. :)

Police

imported post

Please take note that I posted at the end of the day Friday before I left work. My first day back was today and I am not getting paid to be here on my own time. This is why you did not see any posts over the weekend. Please do not jump to conclusions so quickly.

I am not here toparticipate in lengthly conversations ordebates. I will be asking questions on open carry topics so that I can have the data I need for my training outline. It covers more than just gun laws.

I am aware that there is information out there but I am looking beyond that and targeting the open carry members for their thoughts and opinions. They may also be able to help direct me toward other information sources available that I may have overlooked.

Member "citizen" has been kind enough to do this and show me the magazine article that I did not know about.

I wanted to start out with my first post by letting you know why I am hereasking the questions I will beasking.

Some of you may feel myselected name is will create problems but I wanted to be clear who I am so you did not cry foul later.

So, I will not be changing my name. I do not see myselfparticipating in debates so there will be no problem on my end. It will probably cause a few members to attack me without just cause based on the name alone and this will be noted.

I hope this clarifies things a little.

And for the record I am told that Ilook like the person in my avatar. It is not an actual photo of me any more than the avatar of the administrator is what he actually looks like.

I appreciate all the welcoming messages I have received thus far.

Steve

wrightme

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Police wrote:
So, I will not be changing my name. Steve
No suggested that you change 'Steve', presumably your name, but I did suggest that you change your epithet for something less divisive.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$
You could similarly change your sig for something less divisive......

Dustin

imported post

wrightme wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
Police wrote:
So, I will not be changing my name. Steve
No suggested that you change 'Steve', presumably your name, but I did suggest that you change your epithet for something less divisive.

You could similarly change your sig for something less divisive......
Doug also has to copy/paste that everytime he post too. Which I find interesting ...