Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dinner in the Midland Area

Post imported post

Well, I have a friend or two in the Midland area that are interested in OC. One of them has a schedule that doesn't usually allow him to attend events on the weekends. I work a 9-5 job.

That being said, would anybody be interested in a dinner meeting during the week sometime in the next couple of weeks? I figured we could just hit up McDonalds or something in Midland around 6 or 7, whatever works. If there are kids, we could go to the McDonalds on Saginaw, and let them run around the play area. Or we could go to any other restaurant that people want, it really doesn't matter.

I wouldn't even be opposed to heading out to the Midland County Sportsmans Club afterwards if we don't have a huge group that wants to go, since the indoor pistol range isn't that huge. I'd just have to make the non-members pay a $5 fee to shoot out there. I have a key, so it really doesn't matter what time we get out there either.

Any interest? Maybe sometime next week, or the week after?

Post imported post

Pick a date, and a place, and I'll try to be there.
    "Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame." - Cort

Gun control is like trying to reduce Drunk Driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

The answer to "1984" is "
    1776"

With freedom comes much responsibility. It is for this reason so many are loathe to exercise it.

Post imported post

I talked to one of my friends, and he said the week after next will work better for him.

What do you say we plan for Wednesday, January 21st at around 6:30pm?

As for the venue, to avoid places that serve alcohol we could go to Big Boy, Lil Chef, Bob Evans, or any fast food restaurant, unless somebody closer to Midland has a better suggestion?

Post imported post

I'd try to make it. Maybe a friday so if we do go to the range we can stay out late

Post imported post

conservative85 wrote:
    I'd try to make it. Maybe a friday so if we do go to the range we can stay out late

hehe, that's a good point, but I don't think a Friday will work. I'm hoping to do this in the middle of the week so we can include the weekend workers. I know at least one in Midland that will be there if it's not on the weekend. He's been wanting to come out, but he has to work when we usually have events.

Also, as a side note, I'm pretty available if anybody ever wants to get together in the area for a bite to eat and/or head to the range. Just let me know, and we can stay out as late as you want

Post imported post

SQLtables wrote:
    I talked to one of my friends, and he said the week after next will work better for him.

What do you say we plan for Wednesday, January 21st at around 6:30pm?

As for the venue, to avoid places that serve alcohol we could go to Big Boy, Lil Chef, Bob Evans, or any fast food restaurant, unless somebody closer to Midland has a better suggestion?
    Sounds good to me. It's an hour drive, so I'd just as soon sit down somewhere to eat, vs fast food, but it's your gig!
    "Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame." - Cort

Gun control is like trying to reduce Drunk Driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

1776"

With freedom comes much responsibility. It is for this reason so many are loathe to exercise it.

Post imported post

absolutly. sounds like a great time. i may not be oc'ing yet, until i get my CPL just for ease and all that... etc.

if you can, keep me updated on date/time via smcrawfo at northernss dot com. I have been slightly busy at work lately and haven't had a chance to get here as much.

I'm normally free after 5pm during the week. anytime during the weekend (unless i get called into work... its one of those 24x7 jobs....)

edit... now that i read all the other posts...
    21st @ 6:30 looks good at this moment
    i think a sit down place would be good too.

Post imported post

OK, how about we meet at Bob Evans on Eastman in Midland on January 21st at 6:30pm?

Map to restaurant:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...12&iwloc=A

Is anybody interested in hitting up the sportsmans club after dinner? Any rimfire and non-magnum pistol rounds are allowed on the indoor range. It's not that big, so if there's a lot of interest, we'd just have to take turns at the line.

Post imported post

sounds like a plan to me for both.

Post imported post

By the way, as far as the attendance goes, I will be at least +1, working on a few more.

Post imported post

I have posted this event on both our FaceBook site and the SAFR forum threads. I don't expect to attract additionals, but let me know otherwise.

Edit: I also posted it on the MGO forum. Hopefully some of these postings will drive a little interest to the OCDO forums.

Post imported post

I had received word that the local indoor range was closed for business at one time. Is it open again, SQLtables?

What is the name an address of the range, anyway?

Post imported post

Hcidem wrote:
    I had received word that the local indoor range was closed for business at one time. Is it open again, SQLtables?

What is the name an address of the range, anyway?
    I'm not sure about any public ranges in Midland. I'm a member at the Midland County Sportsmans Club, and I have a key to the clubhouse. There is a pistol range in the basement. It's not that great, but it's always open to members.

Alright, I hate to do this, but would anybody who plans on going mind changing it to Tuesday the 20th? I have a couple of people that are interested, but their schedules are full on Wednesdays. Just looking for opinions.

Post imported post

Well, I've talked to about 4 people that are tentative if we switch it to Tuesday. They cannot make it Wednesday. I'd like some input.

Post imported post

I should still be able to make tuesday.

1776"

Post imported post

Depending on my wife's schedule, I could likely make it to something after 5 during the week. In the midland area.

I have been talking to a few people I know about guns and OC. Would anyone mind if I put a general invite out to anyone interested to come? Likely no one will respond but if they do it will be someone with little or no practical firearms knowledge. The reason I ask is I have a feeling this will push the discussion more towards firearms basics and less towards OC and the law.

Either way I put me down as tentative.

Post imported post

HPC9 wrote:
    Depending on my wife's schedule, I could likely make it to something after 5 during the week. In the midland area.

I have been talking to a few people I know about guns and OC. Would anyone mind if I put a general invite out to anyone interested to come? Likely no one will respond but if they do it will be someone with little or no practical firearms knowledge. The reason I ask is I have a feeling this will push the discussion more towards firearms basics and less towards OC and the law.

Either way I put me down as tentative.
    Everybody is welcome. Obviously, they shouldn't be carrying with little to no experience, but they are always welcome to hang out with us, as far as I'm concerned.

For the date, I say let's officially set it for Tuesday the 20th at 6:30pm at Bob Evans.

Post imported post

Tuesday the 20th, 6:30 works for me.

The someones I'm in reference to don't even own a pistol.

Post imported post

HPC9 wrote:
    Tuesday the 20th, 6:30 works for me.

The someones I'm in reference to don't even own a pistol.
    I had assumed, I was just making a point that EVERYONE is welcome, not just gun nuts that do the right thing by carrying

Post imported post

all good here with tuesday

Post imported post

OK, it actually sounds like there are quite a few people interested in the area. One of my buddies who will probably be there has been spreading the word around to his buddies and family.

Since, if these people show up, it looks like there will be a high percentage of people who are new to the idea of OC. With this in mind, does anybody think it's a good idea to print off the slides from the PowerPoint presentation so we can pass them out at dinner and discuss? Another option would be to try to use the clubhouse at the Sportsmans club, but I'm not sure how many would be willing to relocate for that. I know of 2 who said they will most likely only make it to dinner, so they probably wouldn't want to drive to the club for an information session. I think printing the slides is a good option.

Does anybody who plans to attend have brochures?

Post imported post

I was trying to print some brochures last night. Only to find that I am low on ink and out of paper.

I plan on picking up supplies after work to print some off.

I have yet to hear back from anyone that I asked. I still have a few more people to talk to though.

Post imported post

So you plan to have brochures for those who attend?

Post imported post

SQLtables wrote:
    Yes. I was going to bring 20 or so.

Along with anything else of interest I could find. Like the Gun Facts pdf. Michigan firearms laws pdf.

I am putting a rough draft together in my head of a binder of some sort that has as much useful info as I can find.

I am noticing that I don't handle peoples emotion based arguments very well. So I want to have something real I can fall back on rather than get frustrated and bite my tongue to stop my self from calling them names.

Post imported post

HPC9 wrote:
    SQLtables wrote:
    Yes. I was going to bring 20 or so.

Along with anything else of interest I could find. Like the Gun Facts pdf. Michigan firearms laws pdf.

I am putting a rough draft together in my head of a binder of some sort that has as much useful info as I can find.

I am noticing that I don't handle peoples emotion based arguments very well. So I want to have something real I can fall back on rather than get frustrated and bite my tongue to stop my self from calling them names.
    Great!

I think a binder like that is a really good idea. I'm right beside you with dealing with arguments based on "think of the children" and other fairy tales, especially the ones from my fellow gun owners.

I'm happy about the response this has gotten. I wasn't sure a weekday would be appealing to anybody. I'm hoping for a large turnout, hopefully Bob Evans can accomodate us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast