• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying at the Social Security office

3/325

imported post

The sign on the front door says no, citing that it's a Federal building (USC 18). And it specifically states that a CPL does not authorize carrying.

Is this another one of those "no illegal weapons allowed" situations? Or does the fact that it's a Fed building mean that State carry laws do not apply?

To be clear, the SSA building is a stand-alone structure and is not attached to, nor does it share property with, any courthouse, police station, etc.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Letters have been sent to the US Attorney from me & the folks that I was working with in Oregon & Ohio. At this time we have not heard anything back yet.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator

ne1

imported post

Social Security benefits can now be applied for online. No need to visit this victim disarmament zone.

3/325

imported post

I have NO interest in becoming a test subject. I drove the Mrs. there today for her to take care of some paperwork and saw the sign on the front door as we went in. What caught my attention was the fact that the sign specifically stated that CPLs make no difference. I'd never seen that on a sign before.

I agree that self-defense qualifies as a "lawful purpose" but, again, I have no burning desire to test the legal language either in practice or in court.

cynicist

imported post

Is DSHS federal?

I'm going to the DSHS with a freind to file a claim for the crime victims fund (he can't work) and am wondering if I can quasi-open carry there.

shad0wfax

imported post

cynicist wrote:
Is DSHS federal?

I'm going to the DSHS with a freind to file a claim for the crime victims fund (he can't work) and am wondering if I can quasi-open carry there.

You can legally OC there. They might inform you that all future correspondance between you and their office must be in writing and not in person from that point on though.

(They can do that.)

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

cynicist wrote:
Is DSHS federal?

I'm gonna get hammered for this but here goes...
Those folks at DSHS deal with some of the most unpredictable & unruly folks on a daily basis. Its one of those places that although you are well within your rights to carry, I personally would CC. And like Shadowfax stated you might have to do the rest by correspondence.

shad0wfax

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
cynicist wrote:
Is DSHS federal?

I'm gonna get hammered for this but here goes...
Those folks at DSHS deal with some of the most unpredictable & unruly folks on a daily basis. Its one of those places that although you are well within your rights to carry, I personally would CC. And like Shadowfax stated you might have to do the rest by correspondence.
+1

I wouldn't hammer you for your statement. The folks who have frequent business with DSHS are usually the dregs of society. (Yes, there are many cases with honest, decent folks, but those folks aren't the ones who require frequent attention from the office...)

CC at DSHS and you won't regret it. OC at DSHS and you'll regret it if you everwant to go in face-to-face there again.

heresolong

imported post

shad0wfax wrote:

You can legally OC there. They might inform you that all future correspondance between you and their office must be in writing and not in person from that point on though.

(They can do that.)
Can you give us some sort of legal justification for your statement that they can do that? If they are doing it because you are carrying, is this not a violation of state preemption that they can't keep you from carrying?

sudden valley gunner

imported post

For reasons I won't get into I was parked outside of DSHS the other day reading a book when I noticed three guys that were smoking standing by the door watching cars and people, spread out and it looked like they were casing me or my vehicle. I pretended not to notice them but grabbed my unloaded pistol and stuck it under my leg and held my loaded magizine in the other, pretended to continue reading.I did look up to make cursory eyecontact but that didn't seem to deter them. Things looked like they were going to get tense until a Vet from 'nam....(patches on jacket makes me assume this) walked up and started discussing something with one of the guys and they all walked away, and disappeared. He left also but I think he averted a bad situation.Later when I was telling someone this they were like "oh bet you couldn't wait to use your gun" and I told them no I was praying the whole time that I hoped I didn't have to use it but was certainly glad I had it on me.

scoobydoo6906

imported post

I think it's rather sad that people think that people that carry a gun for defence want to just blast somebody. I guess with all the propagnda on t.v why would they think any differently? two kinds of people according to t.v carry guns...cops and bad guys. thanks t.v!:banghead: oh wait tree kinds...cops, bad guys, and paranoid wackjobs...there you go.

shad0wfax

imported post

heresolong wrote:
Can you give us some sort of legal justification for your statement that they can do that? If they are doing it because you are carrying, is this not a violation of state preemption that they can't keep you from carrying?

They have WAC's thatallow them to require all future business correspondance to be done in writing for any reason the officer sees fit. They don't have to give youa reason.

If you want the actual WAC I'll see if I can get a copy of it, but it may take some time. My source is a relative who works for the state in a division of the DSHS.

heresolong

imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
heresolong wrote:

They have WAC's thatallow them to require all future business correspondance to be done in writing for any reason the officer sees fit. They don't have to give youa reason.

If you want the actual WAC I'll see if I can get a copy of it, but it may take some time. My source is a relative who works for the state in a division of the DSHS.
I think it would be great if you could post the WAC here. General forum guidelines ask us to make original sources available so that we all have them in the event it becomes an issue. Otherwise it is one of those "my relative who works for ... said...".

Thanks.

tricityguy

imported post

"oh bet you couldn't wait to use your gun"
:banghead: Man, I hate that. I just had that conversation with a friend the other night. He started it off with, "I'm worried about you." Me: Why? "It seems like you just want to shoot somebody." Me: Why would you ever think that about me?! "You carry that gun EVERYWHERE. I mean, you carry it in Wal-Mart for crying out loud. It's like you're looking for trouble."

What the hell is wrong with people? This from a conservative gun owner, too... (He doesn't hold a CPL. Has no interest. He does transport loaded guns in his vehicle. I've informed him of the laws, he isn't interested. Somehow the law abiding guy - me - is the one he's worried about? People tick me off.)

3/325

imported post

Yep, it's a well-established fact that people who are prepared for something desperately want it to happen. That's why some people become doctors and EMTs; because they desperately want people to get injured and mangled. Firemen? You guessed it. They LOVE it when houses burn down. Hell, cops often join hands and pray for violent crime, domestic abuse, and drunk driving.

The truth is that some people simply do not have the stomach to face certain realities. Being unprepared helps maintain their bubble, the illusion that "those things" will never happen. When they meet someone who IS prepared it reminds them of what they've been trying to ignore and they are then presented with a choice:

1. Face their fears and deal with them, or
2. Maintain their illusion by dismissing you as a nutjob.

I'm no psychologist but I know which one looks a lot easier to ME.

PayMeNow

imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
just_a_car wrote:
I refer you to here: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=15641
and to here: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/15400.html

Unless Lonnie would like to say whether he thinks this is no longer a "don't test this" situation, technically it's a Federal Facility and personal protection is a lawful activity.

Do you see me lining up for it? Hell no!
Agreed, don't test this in court.

Lonnie,

Do you have any case law on a definition of lawful purpose that would trump section 101 of the GCA of'68?