• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Manassas City Hall

Xeni

imported post

Got a phone call from a fellow VCDL member about a town hall being held in Manassas with Sen. Marshall, Colgan and Baker and grabbed my coat, pistol and took off.

I said my piece, acknowledging Sen. Marshall's upcoming legislation for concealed carry on college campuses and how that's sensible but that it's also unfair that I as a non-student can walk onto a college campus in Virginia while OC'ing or CC'ing but that if I was a student I instantly lose my rights.

I asked for less restrictions on firearm laws in general and also mentioned how FOIA needs to be strengthened so that we as citizens and taxpayers can keep better tabs on government.

I stepped down and got some applause (wow!). Now, here's the impressive part....

After everyone was done and the meeting was adjorned I had two women come up to me and shake MY hand and both told me; "Thank you for open carrying". I was floored. Both women mentioned that they had CHPs but that it was good to see someone OC'ing.

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

I'm gonna hit the Silver Diner in Woodbridge now to reward myself with a piece of apple pie now. And, I'll do it again...while OC'ing.

Xeni

imported post

...forgot to mention. When I got a few moments with Mr. Marshall he mentioned that the Speaker has seemed to soften his stance on gun bills this term (I believe in relation to the email Marshall released discussing how the Speaker was killing pro-gun bills) and that he believes some of his bills will make it to the floor for a vote.

Wooohooo!

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Good work! Thank you.

My delegate and senator have a town hall next Saturday. They're both rabidly anti, but I've been OCing at their townhalls ... I think this is the third year. I've also been to their Saturday "open hours at the library" while OC.

What's really fun is when I do that but don't go to discuss gun laws. I've spoken on education, on support to mental health, and on transportation.

Confuses politicians that we "gun people" can care about anything else.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tess wrote:
Confuses politicians that we "gun people" can care about anything else.
Right. I intend to ask my Senator, Tommy Norment (R), why he openly supported Democrat Mark Warner. I will be OC'ing, of course, though I don't think that will give him heartburn. He's seen me a number of times when I've discussed gun laws with him at Lafayette Gun Club, which he typically visits when he is campaigning. He's a big time hunter, and enjoys guns, but he hasn't always been on our side with some of his votes. Anyway, I agree with Tess that it is important for legislators to know that we can be concerned about more than one thing. I will also ask about mental health laws and funding.