• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Toy

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Phoenix Arms Raven .25

I don't have any quality pics, it's chrome finished and I kept getting nasty reflections off of it...

And yes, I know it's a "saturday night special" or "junk gun" or "POS" or that it will "blow up in my hand" or "jam all the time" And I call BS on that and most saturday night special myths.

And to back that up, I will happily buy these horrible unsafe POS guns. If you have one laying around, drop me a line! (Western WA only please) I may pay as much as $75 for one.

I'm hoping to take it shooing Monday, be interesting to see what it does.

PoppaGary

imported post

Good to hear you posted with your flame suit on or at least at the ready!

I have a Raven 25 and a Bryco 380 and hear it all the time too.

Some people fail to understand that sometimes these pistols are all that a person can afford and they still provide a measure of defense. (as was my case.)

Usually when I get the ROs or others talking about how the bullets won't do any damage and will just bounce off someone's head (wrong target selection, there impo), I ask if they would let me shoot them. I have yet to be taken up on the offer.

That said, now that I have other pistols, I am working towards replacing both of these units, but being who I am won't be getting rid of these when that happens.

(I take my wife's approach to jewelry when it comes tomy guns. ) :celebrate

Gary

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Congrats on your acquisition, SV!! I also have a little Raven Arms .25 I inherited. I have put probably 150 rounds through it. Had some serious FTE issues at first due to the slide hanging. Did some fluff and buff and now it is a consistent and accurate (within typical self-defense distances) little pistol. I have rarely carried it when I needed very deep concealment beyond even what I can achieve with my .380. While .25 auto isn't a great self-defense round, it is better than nothing, IMO and my Raven is functional platform for me as a last line of defense when I can't carry something larger.

boom

imported post

i also have one in storage somewhere. It has the white pearl looking plastic grips. Also a leather clip on holster.It's missing the firing spring, i think. My dad carried it as a back up when he was in LE, I believe. Those little pistols scare me. I always thought that if I had to shoot someone it may just piss em off. I like my .45

kparker

imported post

I always thought that if I had to shoot someone it may just piss em off.
IF they notice that you shot them. :?

Seriously, given the availability of tiny .32's and .380s by KelTec and Ruger, the only thing that could possibly justify carrying a .25 is that you already have it and can't afford the price of the KelTec or Ruger.

just_a_car

imported post

kparker wrote:
I always thought that if I had to shoot someone it may just piss em off.
IF they notice that you shot them. :?

Seriously, given the availability of tiny .32's and .380s by KelTec and Ruger, the only thing that could possibly justify carrying a .25 is that you already have it and can't afford the price of the KelTec or Ruger.
Or you like collecting them as novelty items *points at SV*.

Me, I got my Lorcin .25acp LT-25 because I wanted a backup to my Glock 27 that was more concealable and cheap enough to afford on a university student's budget.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Hey I'll be carrying that Raven. The Jennings too when I get it put back together.

I'm not a gun snob. (Well I won't own a Glock, but I'll own a Jennings or a Raven, go figure! :p)

compmanio365

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Hey I'll be carrying that Raven. The Jennings too when I get it put back together.

I'm not a gun snob. (Well I won't own a Glock, but I'll own a Jennings or a Raven, go figure! :p)

I think the Jennings and Raven are less likely to "accidentally" go off and shoot you in the leg. However, the slide on either onemight fly off and blow up a car. My friend's cousin's neighbor's dog saw it happen, no foolin'!
:monkey:celebrate

eardoc

imported post

Sea_Chicken wrote:
Nothin wrong with cheap guns. I was thinking about picking up a couple HI Points or Cobra 45's to place around the house.
Of course there are things wrong with cheap guns! That's why they make expensive guns. I believe that, in general, you get what you pay for. When you spend more money, you get better materials that last longer, more comfortable grips, better sights, better engineering, more RELIABILITY! Granted, there's nothing wrong with saving some moneyby way of purchasingan entry-level gun, but I don't think it's fair to say that there is nothing with the guns themselves. While they may fit in your hand and launch bullets most of the time when you pull the trigger, I wouldn't rely on one for the safety of myself and my family.

just_a_car

imported post

eardoc wrote:
Sea_Chicken wrote:
Nothin wrong with cheap guns. I was thinking about picking up a couple HI Points or Cobra 45's to place around the house.
Of course there are things wrong with cheap guns! That's why they make expensive guns. I believe that, in general, you get what you pay for. When you spend more money, you get better materials that last longer, more comfortable grips, better sights, better engineering, more RELIABILITY! Granted, there's nothing wrong with saving some moneyby way of purchasingan entry-level gun, but I don't think it's fair to say that there is nothing with the guns themselves. While they may fit in your hand and launch bullets most of the time when you pull the trigger, I wouldn't rely on one for the safety of myself and my family.
smileyROFL.gif

Wow... I really don't know what to say other than you've been hanging out in Discount Guns too long.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

eardoc wrote:
Yah and more expensive guns never jam or fail either? I can think of a long line of Kimber horror stories I've heard off the top of my head.

A well tuned, properly fitted gun is suited for the purposes it was made for. Launching bullets. Some cheaper (and apparently more expensive ones too) need a bit of hand tuning to make them work all the way. Some don't. For every horror story about Jennings I have heard, I can find one that worked right out of the box.

What it boils down to is, if you buy the gun, inspect it, familiarize yourself with it, and shoot it some. Nearly every gun will work, some take a bit more effort than others. Guns like Hi Point and Cobra seem to be out of the box ready to go, while some of the older "saturday night specials" seem to need a bit of work now and then.

I think any current production gun that goes bang reliably is perfectly fine. I'm just as willing to trust a zinc frame gun that hasn't failed me in 500 rounds as I am a steel frame gun. With the understanding that each one is made for different use levels and stress levels.

I have carried a Jennings for personal protection and felt quite safe with it. I shot an LCP one time that jammed every third round. Go figure. Of the two I rather would have had the Jennings at the time.

I wouldn't dismiss cheaper guns until you've tried them. Jimenez, Hi Point, Cobra, Phoenix these companies offer some of the finest warranty and support in the industry. Hi Point will repair any of their guns for any reason for any owner. The rest also have LIFETIME warranties for the original owner. Something to be said for that.

I guess my $89 mosin nagant rifle is a junker too...

compmanio365

imported post

I just have to say that my Hi Point 45 was as reliable if not more so than my Kimber, out of the box. Both are good shooters now that they are broken in. Which would I take if I had to choose one? The Kimber, no doubt, but I wouldn't turn down the Hi Point simply because it's "cheap". It's what I OCd for many months, and never felt it wouldn't have functioned if I needed it to. Only reason I got something different for OC is the size and weight. I have a bad back, and carrying that thing exacerbated the problem. Then I sold it only because I needed the money. If I could get it back, I would. In fact, I may get another from Mary's before they're banned......

eardoc

imported post

My point isn't to diminish your feeling of safety while carrying a more affordable pistol. I'm not saying that cheaper guns are bad. And although you may like to believe that I'm regurgitating some garbage fed to me by a salesman at Discount Guns, I'm simply speaking from my personal experiences.

Of course a gun that shoots reliably is a good gun! That's part of my point! Surely there is something to be said for the reliability of Sigs, HK's, and even the big bad Glocks. If there isn't, then why do law enforcement agencies of all levels issues guns from these manufacturers instead of cobra and hi-point?

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

eardoc wrote:
My point isn't to diminish your feeling of safety while carrying a more affordable pistol. I'm not saying that cheaper guns are bad. And although you may like to believe that I'm regurgitating some garbage fed to me by a salesman at Discount Guns, I'm simply speaking from my personal experiences.

Of course a gun that shoots reliably is a good gun! That's part of my point! Surely there is something to be said for the reliability of Sigs, HK's, and even the big bad Glocks. If there isn't, then why do law enforcement agencies of all levels issues guns from these manufacturers instead of cobra and hi-point?
I understand Hi Point carbines have seen law enforcement use.

I have met cops who carry a small jennings as a backup.

compmanio365

imported post

And usually in those departments where police are forced to purchase some of their own gear. If you had the .gov footing your bill, you'd probably get the coolest, blackest, most evil looking rifles and pistols you could get too. But when the $$$ have to come out of your own pocket, suddenly those Hi Points and such start looking a LOT more attractive.

Cougar125

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Thundar wrote:
Guns are not toys.
Jeez I had no friggin' idea up until this very moment. I guess I won't be taking my SKS to the sandbox while I play in the dirt.
I call BS. Thats exactly what they are. I play with them every chance I get.

tim46311

Hp 380

For me i like it. To the range about 3 times a month about 50-75 rnds thru it each time.
I have never had it foul once. For the first 150 rnds i staggered all types of ammo thru it. I trust it with my life or wouldn't carry it. I learned first hand you have to get what you can afford, what feels good to you, and practice with it.