• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

can I OC in the bank?

war&peace

imported post

hello everyone. I am brand new to this forum, and I have a question. I live in wyoming, born and raised, and I open carry my Bersa .380 everywhere I go(except where prohibited by law). me and my friend were discussing the matter and we cannot find anything on whether or not you can O.C in a bank. he thinks definently no, but it is not a federal building? however it is insured federally. I think that in the bank is one of the places I am most likely to need to use it in defense of my life. someone comes in to rob the bank; I don't want to become a hostage victim to be used as a barter tool! in fact, I make sure to have it on when I go to the bank. because of our discussion though, I make sure to cover it with my jacket(I have a ccw, just prefer to open carry). any help on where to find this info would be greatly appreciated. thanks for your time and I look forward to chatting with you peeps in the future.

I CARRY A FIREARM SO THAT I WILL NEVER DIE FOR LACK OF SHOOTING BACK

Fallschirjmäger

imported post

I openly carry in my bank all the time. There are some branches of the same bank that have 'no weapons' signs, though. If my local branch ever puts up such a sign I'll openly carry in there just long enough to close my account and take my savings elsewhere.

r6-rider

imported post

Its a private building, just federally insured so your good. My bank encourages me to carry, first time i walked in there with it everyone was real cool and complimented it. But then again this is arizona and no one really cares (which im sure wyoming shouldnt either though)

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My state restricts carrying into banks. Only CPL holders (or those with bank manager/owner's permission) may OC into banks, and no one but cops can CC into banks.

I suggest looking into local law. If banks aren't mentioned, you're good until you're asked to leave.

MamaLiberty

imported post

Howdy neighbor!!

There is absolutely NO "law" on the books anywhere regarding open carry in Wyoming statutes. None, nada, not a shred. Some of the cops in places like Cheyenne and Jackson Hole will TRY to give you grief, but they have no legal basis for it. Know your rights, know the law and stand tall.

All Federal laws and restrictions apply, but you'd have to work hard to get prosecuted for them. You would be safe if you just didn't (at least openly) carry in federal buildings.

I carry my .45 openly everywhere I go (I stay out of the post office) and have never had anyone complain, much less ask me to leave. I have carried my gun into the sheriff's office and police station, city hall, church, county courthouse, polling place and every private business in town, I think.

Yes, carry in the bank. Go for it. :)

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The banks are not federally insured. Your savings accounts with the bank are federally insured.

Tn has no law prohititing carrying in a bank, though the law does allow individual banks to adopt policy of "No Firearms". I've been OC in my bank with no problems. I've also been doing business with them for 2 1/2 years. They're not worried about me. :)

Now, if I go in there and slipa tellera note requesting more money than I have in my checking account, they might get a bit upset.

Majorpain

imported post

Iv'e never had a problem with it here in Riverton. I was asked once to leave Wells Fargot in Lander Wy. Lander is alot like Jackson hole in my oppinion. Bunch of anti gun people. Other than that No problem's.

AZkopper

imported post

OC in banks here in AZ is a matter of private property rights. Some banks post no guns, most don't.

Wells Fargo has no issue with it.

gamestalker

imported post

I always OC in the bank and have never once had any problem, only an ocasional glance from some of the other patrons.

gamestalker

Catherine

imported post

Why don't you ask your BANK what their rules are for open carry?

Why not check the laws in your state when it comes to this matter?

Some states let you open and/or conceal carry in a bank. Some states will not let you carry anyway INTO a Bank but will let you use the DRIVE UP WINDOW with no problem.

It depends on the state and the bank in many cases from what I have read.

Catherine

Spacejockey1979

imported post

None of my bank's branches have sign saying you can't carry a firearm in. If it's against federal law I definitely wouldn't chance it. A few months ago i was waiting in line at the post office when the guy in front of me was OCing. I didn't talk to him about it because I didn't want him getting arrested, but no one else or any of the 4 tellers said anything about it either. To see the sign that it is illegal to carry a firearm in the post office you have to enter, make a complete 180 and walk about 100 feet. I have heard often that ignorance of the law isn't an excuse, and you will still be charged of the crime whether or not you honestly didn't know it was illegal. So definitely check out your state laws, and federal laws if you go into any government buildings.

+1 to going in to the bank just long enough to close the account.

autosurgeon

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
My state restricts carrying into banks. Only CPL holders (or those with bank manager/owner's permission) may OC into banks, and no one but cops can CC into banks.

I suggest looking into local law. If banks aren't mentioned, you're good until you're asked to leave.
One correction. In Michigan you can OC with a CPL in a bank as Zig says . You may also CC. Banks are NOT listed in the MI pistol free zones for CPL holders.

If the bank has a NO guns sign then you cannot do either as private property rules apply.

autosurgeon

imported post

Spacejockey1979 wrote:
None of my bank's branches have sign saying you can't carry a firearm in. If it's against federal law I definitely wouldn't chance it. A few months ago i was waiting in line at the post office when the guy in front of me was OCing. I didn't talk to him about it because I didn't want him getting arrested, but no one else or any of the 4 tellers said anything about it either. To see the sign that it is illegal to carry a firearm in the post office you have to enter, make a complete 180 and walk about 100 feet. I have heard often that ignorance of the law isn't an excuse, and you will still be charged of the crime whether or not you honestly didn't know it was illegal. So definitely check out your state laws, and federal laws if you go into any government buildings.

+1 to going in to the bank just long enough to close the account.
There is no federal law against carry in a bank.

If the postmaster of a specific post office wants to allow carry they can. My grandfather was a postmaster for 30+ years and he looked it up for me where it says in the postal inspectors manual that a post master reserves the right to allow deadly weapons in a post office. NOTE this was a current 08 copy. the exception was put in BC many post offices in small towns are in general stores where guns are sold.

My post master said she has no problem with LACs carrying in her post office and as a result her sign says "no weapon shall be carried to commit a crime against the post office or any of it's employees."

rpyne

imported post

In Utah, it simply a matter of private property. They can either post it or ask you to leave. If you refuse, it is simple trespass.

autosurgeon wrote:
If the postmaster of a specific post office wants to allow carry they can. My grandfather was a postmaster for 30+ years and he looked it up for me where it says in the postal inspectors manual that a post master reserves the right to allow deadly weapons in a post office. NOTE this was a current 08 copy. the exception was put in BC many post offices in small towns are in general stores where guns are sold.

My post master said she has no problem with LACs carrying in her post office and as a result her sign says "no weapon shall be carried to commit a crime against the post office or any of it's employees."
I was wondering about that. I noticed several months ago the signs on my local post office changed from firearms prohibited to ones that say it is a federal offense to use a gun against a postal employee. I'll have to ask the postmaster about it. I don't suppose you could get a cite from the manual so I can pass it on the the postmaster here?