Thread: Ambush Victim Shoots Back To Survive

Post imported post

http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-lo...,2770951.story

Ambush victim shot back to survive
    Assailants flee after wounding a pistol-packing masonry company owner six times.
    By DAVID MACAULAY | 247-7838
    January 10, 2009

HAMPTON - When Robert Toombs returned to his Hampton home Monday night they were waiting for him in his yard.

The first bullet hit the 68-year-old masonry contractor in the back as he got out his key to open the door. He swung around and fired his own weapon at a shadowy figure wearing a hoodie in the yard.

By the time his attackers ran away, Toombs' body was riddled with six bullets.

But he survived the attack.

"All the bullets went in and came out. They missed the vital organs," Toombs' daughter Tina Dembry said Thursday.

Toombs, who was shot in his face, back, both legs and a hand, is recovering in a local hospital but is due to have surgery on his cheek where one of the gunshot wounds has caused swelling.

"He was hit six times," his son, Robert Toombs Jr., said.

Toombs' son and daughter said their father returned to his home on Shell Road near the intersection with Worster Street about 7:30 p.m. Monday. He parked his truck in the rear yard. He did not initially see his assailants because a number of vehicles are parked behind his home.

Toombs was hit by a bullet when he was about to unlock the back door.

But during the attack he fought back. Dembry said her father carries a .38 pistol with him for fear of robbery and it saved his life.

"He carries a weapon with him because he often does have money on him," she said.

Toombs is the owner of RA Toombs Masonry, a company that has been operating in Hampton for 34 years.

Dembry said her father believes he hit the only man he saw shooting at him.

"It's just a feeling he got," she said.

Neighbors told Dembry they saw four men fleeing from the scene.

Toombs' son and daughter don't know why their father was a target, but believe the men intended to kill him.

"It may have been a botched robbery," said Robert Toombs Jr.

Dembry said her father is tough even though he's 68 years old.

After he was shot he walked down the alley by his home to knock on the window and attract the attention of his wife, she said.

And Toombs insisted on walking into Hampton's Sentara CarePlex hospital, after his son drove him there. He was later transferred to Riverside Regional Medical Center, the Peninsula's trauma center.

Dembry said the community on Shell Road is shocked by the shooting.

"He's very lucky to be alive," she said.

Although police have no description of the suspects, his family believe a gun shot wound could lead to one of the attackers being caught.

"As far as the victim shooting back, that is a matter that is still under investigation," police spokeswoman Allison Good said. "There is no suspect description at this time."

Can you help? Anyone with information about the shooting can call the Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP (1-888-562-5887).

Post imported post

"As far as the victim shooting back, that is a matter that is still under investigation," police spokeswoman Allison Good said. "There is no suspect description at this time."
    Huh? What is there to investigate? Did the victim do something wrong by saving his own life?

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

Statesman wrote:
    Huh? What is there to investigate? Did the victim do something wrong by saving his own life?
    I think they mean (though poorly said) that they are investigating weather anyone with a gunshot wound has shown up anywhere. IE they are looking at weather he hit then as a way of finding the bad guy. IMHO
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

The first bullet hit the 68-year-old masonry contractor in the back as he got out his key to open the door.
    By the time his attackers ran away, Toombs' body was riddled with six bullets.
    "He was hit six times," his son, Robert Toombs Jr., said.
    Toombs' son and daughter don't know why their father was a target, but believe the men intended to kill him.
    That would be my assumption. Glad he returned fire or they would have killed him. What a survivor.

Post imported post

I'm very glad he's alive! He is very, very lucky. Unfortunately, it sounds like poor shooting on the part of his attackers rather than good tactics on his part. He definitely needs to re-evaluate his home and yard with an eye to greater security and defensiveness.

As a self defense instructor, with over 90 hours of professional training in this area, I want to encourage everyone to get some training, make defensive plans, and always - ALWAYS - practice situational awareness! Do not walk blindly into such a situation!

Know your surroundings and be aware of potential danger before it can strike.

And for crying out loud, have a gun with a caliber that starts with a 4!!! Or else be one hell of a good shot under extreme pressure. Better yet, BOTH.
    I will not knowingly initiate force. I am a self owner.

Let the record show that I did not consent to be governed. I did not consent to any constitution. I did not consent to any president. I did not consent to any law except the natural law of "mala en se." I did not consent to the police. Nor any tax. Nor any prohibition of anything. Nor any regulation or licensing of any kind.

Post imported post

Yet ANOTHER situation where the elderly came out on top...

i swear im going to stop carrying a gun and started hiring these old timers to pull security for me lol

Post imported post

r6-rider wrote:

i swear im going to stop carrying a gun and started hiring these old timers to pull security for me lol
    Kind of makes you think twice about the Walmart greeter.
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."

Post imported post

r6-rider wrote:

Yee haw huzzah for us old guys!! Shows we've still got what it takes Seriously tho' Good to hear he lived through it. Food that that BG's were probably using ball ammunition and didn't know how to shoot !!!
    Keep your powder dry !
    ‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’ Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

r6-rider wrote:

You need to see the new Clint Eastwood movie. New bumper sticker coming soon: Old guys kick ass.

Post imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
    r6-rider wrote:

Kind of makes you think twice about the Walmart greeter.

Post imported post

MamaLiberty wrote:
    I'm very glad he's alive! He is very, very lucky. Unfortunately, it sounds like poor shooting on the part of his attackers rather than good tactics on his part. He definitely needs to re-evaluate his home and yard with an eye to greater security and defensiveness.
    No the BG probably were useing target rounds, if they were all through shots
    then they were the worst hollowpoints ever made on the planet, and the manufacturer
    would be spending big bucks to squash this and destroy the evidence.

Just be grateful they BG are also to cheap and ignorent to use quality products.
    Lets see now, Hoodie, bad stopping power, shooting in dark, hmm... anyone checked on plaxico?

Post imported post

Hehheh.....this old mancarries a .45 loaded with Remington Golden Saber.

Post imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
    This one too. And it doesn't run dry after 7 rounds either.

Post imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
    This one too. And it doesn't run dry after 7 rounds either.

Post imported post

Armed wrote:
    Dembry said her father is tough even though he's 68 years old.

After he was shot he walked down the alley by his home to knock on the window and attract the attention of his wife, she said.

And Toombs insisted on walking into Hampton's Sentara CarePlex hospital, after his son drove him there. He was later transferred to Riverside Regional Medical Center, the Peninsula's trauma center.
    This is one bad ass guy.

Post imported post

"Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Post imported post

A .38 with the right ammo in most defense situations will work just fine.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

You go man. Wishes on a speedy recovery!

+1,000,000 for the GG!!